• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issuesThis is a featured thread

Majestyk

Majestyk
8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Nov 14 2007, 11:42 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 14 2007, 11:42 PM EST
Hi all, I just downloaded the WM6 update for my 8525 and I can't seem to get it to install.

When I first run the installer, my unit reboots itself to the 3 color screen. Ok no biggie. disconnected and reset, reconnected to PC and started
activesync. Connected with no problems. So I run through the steps verifying all the info along the way and click the final button to begin the process.
The progress bar appears on the PC screen but the 8525 screen goes black and shuts off. Activysync disconnects. After about 2 mins a screen
pops up saying:

ERROR [260] CONNECTION

I've tried on several PC's using both Vista and XP and get the same results on all of them. Not sure what else to check on this issue. I haven't
seen where anyone else has had this problem so I don't know where to turn to do this upgrade.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Help is much appreciated!

-Maj
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Anonymous
1. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Nov 22 2007, 12:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 22 2007, 12:39 AM EST
"Hi all, I just downloaded the WM6 update for my 8525 and I can't seem to get it to install.

When I first run the installer, my unit reboots itself to the 3 color screen. Ok no biggie. disconnected and reset, reconnected to PC and started
activesync. Connected with no problems. So I run through the steps verifying all the info along the way and click the final button to begin the process.
The progress bar appears on the PC screen but the 8525 screen goes black and shuts off. Activysync disconnects. After about 2 mins a screen
pops up saying:

ERROR [260] CONNECTION

I've tried on several PC's using both Vista and XP and get the same results on all of them. Not sure what else to check on this issue. I haven't
seen where anyone else has had this problem so I don't know where to turn to do this upgrade.

-Maj"
I have the exact same problem. As soon as the verification process starts, it severs the ActiveSync connection and flips to the 3-color screen and the PC no longer recognizes the 8525, wanting me to reinstall the hardware. The 3-color screen says: HERM100 I PL-1.03 and HERM100 SPL-1.11

Over the past three or four hours, I have tried two different PC's w/XP. I do everything that Maj does: reset the phone, reboot the PC as directed, and still always get an "ERROR 260" warning. The old Windows Mobile 5 still works but I cannot get any farther than this.
JMarty
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues (FIX)
Nov 26 2007, 4:55 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 26 2007, 4:55 PM EST
I had the same problem. DO NOT reset the device or unplug it. Leave it on the 3 color screen and continue the installation process on the desktop. The instructions are misleading, but activesync has nothing to do with the installation process. I think a good activesync connection initially verifies a stable connection.

This worked for me, hope it helps!
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues (FIX)
Nov 27 2007, 5:48 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 27 2007, 5:48 PM EST
"I had the same problem. DO NOT reset the device or unplug it. Leave it on the 3 color screen and continue the installation process on the desktop. The instructions are misleading, but activesync has nothing to do with the installation process. I think a good activesync connection initially verifies a stable connection.

This worked for me, hope it helps!"
I agree - same problem and this fix worked for me (thanks!). The directions aren't misleading - they're just plain wrong.

Boot to the 3-color screen, continue (RUU will show no known image version for your phone - I just continued anyway - even though it's scary to continue through a screen with blank info!).

The update worked fine.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 13 2007, 3:35 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 13 2007, 3:35 PM EST
"Hi all, I just downloaded the WM6 update for my 8525 and I can't seem to get it to install.

pops up saying:

ERROR [260] CONNECTION

-Maj"
I am having a similar issues and still can't get past it.

8525 is connect and talking to ActiveSync. When I click the last "next" to start the upgrade, the phone goes black and disconnects from activesync. I get the connect message. My phone does NOT change to the three bars. I repeat the process and it keeps doing the same thing.

The only time it goes to the three bars is when I have it connect prior to clicking on the ".exe".. But then the verrification come around and it can't fetch the current version off my phone and give me another connection error.. I had this same problem last time we had an update, and use this approach, except I didn't get that last error. It just showed "unknown version" or something, i clicked next, and it did the update.. no luck with that this time..

Thanks for any help..
JB
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
5. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 16 2007, 4:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 16 2007, 4:44 PM EST
Same Problem, I posted this on another thread...

Has anyone tried to upgrade to WM6, gotten the ERROR 260 and been able to resolve it outside of the lame reboot suggestion HTC gives as a solution?!?!?!?! I have tried everything and cannot get by this error. When it tries to install to my device (after I have established an ActiveSynch connection) it shuts off the display on my device and then it closes ActiveSynch (Huh?). Then it tell me that it cannot connect (no duh, you just closed the app you need to connect with). I have tried:
1. Disable Hibernate, screen saver, etc.
2. disabled password (on device) sleep, etc.
3. turned off "use advanced network functions" on the usb connection
4. upgraded to Office 2003 (from 2000 - I was getting some weird errors from that)
5. Thrown the phone down the hall (just kidding, but I've thought of it)
6. Cleared up any IRQ conflicts on the usb port.
7. Am know concidering upgrading this laptop to XP Pro from 2000 but I only have 256 RAM so that choice isn't too popular with me right now.

Any help is good help!!!

Thanks,
Toolman

Anonymous
6. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 17 2007, 5:52 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 17 2007, 5:52 PM EST
"I am having a similar issues and still can't get past it.

8525 is connect and talking to ActiveSync. When I click the last "next" to start the upgrade, the phone goes black and disconnects from activesync. I get the connect message. My phone does NOT change to the three bars. I repeat the process and it keeps doing the same thing.

The only time it goes to the three bars is when I have it connect prior to clicking on the ".exe".. But then the verrification come around and it can't fetch the current version off my phone and give me another connection error.. I had this same problem last time we had an update, and use this approach, except I didn't get that last error. It just showed "unknown version" or something, i clicked next, and it did the update.. no luck with that this time..

Thanks for any help..
JB
"
Ok.. I did get this to work.. and it was not fun ... ended up getting luck I guess..

I did install the latest version of ActiveSync. If you think you have the latest, try it again. I had the some version, but a "HOTFIX" for the "Advanced functions" was installed..

I then used WinRAR and unzipped the .exe from ATT .. and just ran the inner .exe .. but the real kicker .. when i finally hit the last "Next" to start the update, and it turned off my display, i waited a few seconds.. then MANUALLY kicked the phone into bootloader mode by holding in the "OK" on the left side, Power on the right, and poked the reset with the Stylus.. This started Bootloader and the update started... Talk about luck.....

Now .. I'm wondering . why did I go through all this pain again? What's good about WM6 .. that's T.B.D...

JB
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 17 2007, 6:24 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 17 2007, 6:24 PM EST
Your right, the HTC instructions are 100% wrong!!!! Thanks for the tips, just a few more things, I noticed.

1. Plug your device in before you run the RUU_xxx applicaitons
2. The device will go into three color mode and ActiveSync will shutdown
3. When you get to the screen the says "Make sure your connected via ActiveSync", don't do anything... If your in 3 bar mode, activesync will not work!
4. On the screen where it tells you the current version, this doesn't work without active sync but it's ok!!! Click "Update" and choose the new version (I choose v3.x for the WM6 update)
5. The update works, and you'll see the bar progress!!!

Man, HTC & ATT need to get their documentation in order. This is a BIG issue... Massive screw up!

Thanks for the tips to get me going!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
8. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 22 2007, 4:30 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 22 2007, 4:30 PM EST

pops up saying:

ERROR [260] CONNECTION

-Maj"
I have had the same experience as Maj and despite reading everyone's work around, none of them fixes the problem. Still not able to upgrade. Has anyone found other work arounds?
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
9. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Dec 27 2007, 12:20 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2007, 12:20 AM EST
I finally got this to work. Here is what worked for me:
I started the upgrade process before connecting the phone to the USB cable.
Once I got to the checklist screen (before continuing)I connected and the computer loaded a "new" device and the phone went to the tri-color screen.
The I clicked next and continued the install, no current version will display, but continue anyway.
After that all went well, install took a little over 10 minutes and self rebooted.
Once at the tri-color I continued the installation
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
twiztidfatkid333
twiztidfatkid333
10. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Jan 18 2008, 11:03 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 18 2008, 11:03 AM EST
I had the exact same problem, Freaked OUT when I saw the three color screen. Damn near lost my mind. After reading through these posts I made it work. and it worked just fine. Im about to see what I can do with my new upgraded phone, that I couldnt do before. Here's the recipe. Connect the USB cable FIRST. numero uno. THEN, run the RUU app. let it do its little freakout screen color thing. your PC should show up without any information listed in the rom version thing. Just go haead and click upgrade. after a few seconds, the status bar will pop up on the screen of your PPC, and it will do its thing.
I know my recipe isnt the most technical one out there, but what can I say, Im an idiot, posting a walkthrough for idiots. ( No Offense people ) Hope it helps you guys out.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
11. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Jan 19 2008, 4:41 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 19 2008, 4:41 PM EST
I am still not able to get this upgrade to be install on my 8525. The RUU app runs as describe in the post above this one, the progression status bar displays on PC and on phone, it progress from 0% to 9% and hang a bit, then PC display ERROR - 260. No matter what I do, the 8525 does nothing besides coming back to 3 colors bars display status. RUU process always stops/hangs at 9% on Vista. I tried an XP and it always hangs/stops at 11%, both with ERROR -260. HELP PLEASE.
twiztidfatkid333
twiztidfatkid333
12. RE: 8525 and WM^ Upgrade issues
Jan 22 2008, 11:42 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 22 2008, 11:42 AM EST
Im no expert, but the best I can say is try downloading it from a different source. Or if that doesn't work, Clear out the phones data first. Go to Start, Settings, over to the system tab, and click the "Clear Storage" button. The reason I suggest this is because there may be some third party apps gumming up the works, and since you are going to lose all your data anyway, it couldn't hurt to try. Its worth a shot anyway.