• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: WiFi???This is a featured thread

2  | Next

Anonymous
WiFi???
Nov 12 2007, 9:02 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 12 2007, 9:02 AM EST
Is the wifi hardware disabled in the Sprint Touch, or is it missing completely? If it is only disabled, is there a hack to activate it?
14  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Sprint Sprint Touch TouchFlo

Anonymous
1. RE: WiFi???
Nov 12 2007, 5:06 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 12 2007, 5:06 PM EST
have bell phone and can pick up my own and 3 or 4 from the area
1  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
2. RE: WiFi???
Nov 12 2007, 5:13 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 12 2007, 5:13 PM EST
"Is the wifi hardware disabled in the Sprint Touch, or is it missing completely? If it is only disabled, is there a hack to activate it?"
The Sprint Touch does not have wi-fi on it unfortunately. I was using one at a Sprint store today and did not see it on there at all. Real unfortunate.
2  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
oprativ
oprativ
3. RE: WiFi???
Nov 16 2007, 2:17 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2007, 2:17 PM EST
"Is the wifi hardware disabled in the Sprint Touch, or is it missing completely? If it is only disabled, is there a hack to activate it?"
Hey Anon,

Yeah it irks me to no end that the wifi button isn't present in the Comm Mgr. on the SrpintPCS Touch. Seems Sprint wants us to always connect through their service.

IMHO I'd be inclined to believe that the wifi hardware functionality is still there in the phone,it's just not accessible from the UI; it seems that it would be too expensive for Sprint to physically modify the hardware after a production run or, to create a custom production run that skips the installation of the wifi hardware at the factory.

Also, during a phone call, tech support implied that the hardware functionality was still there.

From my research so far I'm led to believe that a possible solution lies in modifying the WM Registry. Google is our friend here, and if there are any WM Registry Aces reading this, we could use a little help on this. TY, op
5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: WiFi???
Nov 16 2007, 9:51 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2007, 9:51 PM EST
I called HTC today and they told me that the Wi-Fi hardware is physically missing on all of the CDMA-based Touch models, so don't get your hopes up with the registry hack. What sucks is that even if the new Spectec microSD Wi-Fi card cooperates with the Touch, you still have to chose (or swap) between memory and Wi-Fi since you can't have both at the same time.

Apparently, the CDMA carriers just want to promote their own data plans and not sell fully-featured phones. This makes some sense if you believe the theory that the best feature-laden phones are all GSM because there's a push to eliminate CDMA, thus the CDMA carriers have to peddle their data plans at large discounts to keep customers. $15/month for EV-DO is pretty darn cheap compared to AT&T's ridiculous data plans...

Yes, yes, I know, many will say "why bother with Wi-Fi since EV-DO is faster?" BUT the internet isn't the only network worth connecting to out there. Plus, there are probably many places where EV-DO coverage is lacking so Wi-Fi is a good thing...

They also said that the GPS is just the E911 type - no ROM update can make it any more capable than it currently is. Oh well...
5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
oprativ
oprativ
5. RE: WiFi???
Nov 16 2007, 10:23 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2007, 10:23 PM EST
Bummer. Thanks for the research Anon. I actually got the regi codes from the MSDN website and was looking for the driver. Bolloks!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
6. RE: WiFi???
Nov 17 2007, 10:14 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 10:14 AM EST
Some people say they've gotten different answers from HTC tech support than reported above but I really don't think Sprint's version has the Wi-Fi hardware...oh well...
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. Not the only hardware change
Dec 16 2007, 1:34 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 16 2007, 1:34 AM EST
They also doubled the RAM, ROM and CPU speed (to 128MB, 256MB and 400MHz respectively.) And then there's the change from a GSM/EDGE chipset to a CDMA/EV-DO chipset (which is more hardware/power intensive.) It's possible one of these upgrades/changes required extra board space and the Wifi was the victim.
More likely it's a cost issue though. Wifi probably just didn't seem necessary on a phone with such a fast internet connection. Let's face it, the large majority of the target audience couldn't care less about connecting to a network other than the Internet.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
8. RE: WiFi???
Dec 19 2007, 6:51 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 19 2007, 6:51 AM EST
"Bummer. Thanks for the research Anon. I actually got the regi codes from the MSDN website and was looking for the driver. Bolloks!"
Hy Has enyone found an aswer for the Wifi problem in HTC TOUCH DUAL ? is it possible on isnt it. I would be glad if youd reply to this :)
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
9. RE: WiFi???
Dec 19 2007, 3:23 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 19 2007, 3:23 PM EST
actually i have opened th cdma version and the phone has three antennas... therefore it is capable of wifi and gps but the software is preventing it.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ferdball

Ferdball
10. RE: WiFi???
Dec 19 2007, 11:54 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 19 2007, 11:54 PM EST
"Yes, yes, I know, many will say "why bother with Wi-Fi since EV-DO is faster?" BUT the internet isn't the only network worth connecting to out there. Plus, there are probably many places where EV-DO coverage is lacking so Wi-Fi is a good thing...
"
Bingo. I don't have good EVDO coverage at my house. WiFi would be great.

Verizon severely disables features on phones, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint did this for financial reasons. But if they had to make room for extra hardware goodies, then I'm okay with it.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
11. RE: WiFi???
Dec 22 2007, 10:48 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 22 2007, 10:48 AM EST
Of course it was done for financial reasons. They'd rather have you subscribe to a data plan than to allow you to use your "free" WiFi network. I have a decent EVDO connection and the internet is unbearably slow. My old Samsung A900 was much faster with this regard. I don't know if its the MS Mobile bogging it down or what?

Anonymous
12. Pocket IE is very slow
Dec 23 2007, 4:40 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2007, 4:40 PM EST
Install Opera Mini or the Opera Mobile trial on it. They are much better browsers.

Anonymous
13. RE: WiFi???
Dec 27 2007, 9:45 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2007, 9:45 PM EST
"have bell phone and can pick up my own and 3 or 4 from the area"
how did you get it work

Anonymous
14. RE: WiFi???
Dec 28 2007, 10:43 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2007, 10:43 AM EST
Same, I have a Bell Touch as well, so if there is anyone that has the wifi working, please post it here

Anonymous
15. RE: WiFi???
Dec 28 2007, 3:10 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2007, 3:10 PM EST
Go to this link: http://htcwiki.com/page/HTC+Touch

I copied and pasted contents of that page here in case they decide to change it.

HTC Touch
Here are some of the main features of the HTC Telus Touch.

Operating System

Keyboard

Applications

Processor

Memory

Display

Technology

Frequency

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth®

Email

Battery

Speakerphone

Internet

Built-in Camera

Caller ID

Audio

Video

I/O Interface I
Expansion

TTY / TTD

Other Features
0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
16. RE: WiFi???
Dec 28 2007, 4:38 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2007, 4:38 PM EST
"Go to this link: http://htcwiki.com/page/HTC+Touch

I copied and pasted contents of that page here in case they decide to change it.

HTC Touch
Here are some of the main features of the HTC Telus Touch.

Operating System

Keyboard

Applications

Processor

Memory

Display

Technology

Frequency

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth®

Email

Battery

Speakerphone

Internet

Built-in Camera

Caller ID

Audio

Video

I/O Interface I
Expansion

TTY / TTD

Other Features "
The Telus Touch does not have wi-fi on it. HTC's website doesn't even list it on their website:

http://www.america.htc.com/products/telus_touch/features-specs.html
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
17. RE: WiFi???
Jan 5 2008, 10:03 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2008, 10:03 PM EST
Yes how did you get it to work???? please post
Thanks in advance
the_lone_wolf

the_lone_wolf
18. RE: WiFi???
Mar 21 2008, 4:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2008, 4:37 PM EDT
i've been trying to get the wifi on my htc touch (GSM model) to work. alas. it detects my home wireless network (linksys router) in the list of available networks, but refuses to connect (prompts for access key -- i've set up mine as WPA-PSK, with TKIP encryption)! it just returns a prompt first time saying incorrect key, which i enter and subsequently, goes back to the list of available networks. sometimes my home network shows unavailable immediately afterwards. really sucks as wifi is one of the prime reasons i bought this phone. love it otherwise. can anyone help? thanks in advance.

Anonymous
19. RE: WiFi???
Mar 31 2008, 12:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 31 2008, 12:30 PM EDT
"i've been trying to get the wifi on my htc touch (GSM model) to work. alas. it detects my home wireless network (linksys router) in the list of available networks, but refuses to connect (prompts for access key -- i've set up mine as WPA-PSK, with TKIP encryption)! it just returns a prompt first time saying incorrect key, which i enter and subsequently, goes back to the list of available networks. sometimes my home network shows unavailable immediately afterwards. really sucks as wifi is one of the prime reasons i bought this phone. love it otherwise. can anyone help? thanks in advance."
Wait, so you got the HTC touch to see wifi connections?....

What did you do????
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)