• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codesThis is a featured thread

Anonymous
HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Jul 27 2007, 1:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 27 2007, 1:28 PM EDT
Hi, I have an HTC P4000 with TELUS and my phone will not dial 1 in front of a long distance area code even though my Phone Settings have AUTOMATIC PREPEND as "enabled", which is set to automatically put a 1 if it's a long dstance area code. I spoke to someone at HTC and he said that this had to do with contacts being created in MS Outlook (therefore not HTC's problem?!!!!), -Ridiculous! But, he also said that if I created a new contact on the phone itself, then the PREPEND should work...Well, I did absolutely that...I created a new contact via the phone while I had him on my land line, and the same problem happened (would not dial the "1"). This is an absolutely ridiculous problem as I travel a lot and need to contact many people in multiple cities, and a big reason I got this data/phone device was to access my contact lists and make my life easier. The HTC guy said he needed to research the problem and that he would get back to me in a couple of days. Well, that's not good enough. He suggested I try to find an answer here on this forum. Can anyone help or anyone have the same problem? There should be a software fix for this!

Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
fugazer

fugazer
1. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Jul 28 2007, 6:27 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 28 2007, 6:27 PM EDT
this problem has been plaguing me for ages..this is so inconvenient and i was hoping that this problem would have been solved with WM6 upgrade... of course, its not..

i have to say.. using this phone is a real pain in the butt. I can't prepend 1 for long distance calls, and i can't use my calling card to dial a contacts number have the long distance code is dialed..

any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
2. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Aug 14 2007, 5:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2007, 5:41 PM EDT
"Hi, I have an HTC P4000 with TELUS and my phone will not dial 1 in front of a long distance area code even though my Phone Settings have AUTOMATIC PREPEND as "enabled", which is set to automatically put a 1 if it's a long dstance area code. I spoke to someone at HTC and he said that this had to do with contacts being created in MS Outlook (therefore not HTC's problem?!!!!), -Ridiculous! But, he also said that if I created a new contact on the phone itself, then the PREPEND should work...Well, I did absolutely that...I created a new contact via the phone while I had him on my land line, and the same problem happened (would not dial the "1"). This is an absolutely ridiculous problem as I travel a lot and need to contact many people in multiple cities, and a big reason I got this data/phone device was to access my contact lists and make my life easier. The HTC guy said he needed to research the problem and that he would get back to me in a couple of days. Well, that's not good enough. He suggested I try to find an answer here on this forum. Can anyone help or anyone have the same problem? There should be a software fix for this!

"
Does anyone in HTC (Seattle) Software Development read this forum? Almost a month and no response....
fugazer

fugazer
3. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Aug 19 2007, 1:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 19 2007, 1:26 PM EDT
yes this problem is quite frustrating.. try using an application called Magicall.

it allows you to prepends numbers automatically and create dialing rules.

Anonymous
4. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Aug 31 2007, 11:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 31 2007, 11:03 PM EDT
What is the RIGHT phone number to call over at HTC? This Prepend problem extends not only to the HTC P4000 but also the TREO 700wx. You'd think this is a significant enough of a problem to warrant some immediate action...BUT NO, these guys are more concerned about the next phone coming up. Come on you HTC guys!! Let's get some problem solving done then people will promote your phones instead of complaining about them...

Anonymous
5. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Aug 31 2007, 11:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 31 2007, 11:07 PM EDT
What really needs to happen is someone with MEDIA ties should REPORT PUBLICALLY on this lack of initiative on resolving a significant problem. Public attention seems to get Publicly Traded companies moving faster...which is really sad.

Anonymous
6. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Sep 11 2007, 1:49 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 11 2007, 1:49 AM EDT
This is a problem with all the Telus pda's running windows. They claim it has to do with the dialing #777 for thier data networks but whatever. They said it would some how interfere with that. After they told me that i went throught the registry on my phone and there is a key for called abbrdialbypasslist or something like that and 411 was in it so i'm not so sure that this is the problem.

Anyway with my treo i did this and it worked. Hope it works for you.

Download Magical
http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=199115&sectionId=5897&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1

Run it
Create a new rule & Name it
Rule type = phone outbound
filter type = all

The click operations
Action1 = change number
call to = 1{phone}

and save it.

Now it will dial a 1 in front of all outgoing calls....
This means you have to go through all your contacts again and remove the 1 that you put in front of your numbers when you first found out this phone wouldn't auto prepend. It runs in the background and doesnt change the look and feel.

It worked for me, and would probably work on all the other Telus pda running windows that don't prepend.

Anonymous
7. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Nov 6 2007, 2:29 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2007, 2:29 PM EST
"This is a problem with all the Telus pda's running windows. They claim it has to do with the dialing #777 for thier data networks but whatever. They said it would some how interfere with that. After they told me that i went throught the registry on my phone and there is a key for called abbrdialbypasslist or something like that and 411 was in it so i'm not so sure that this is the problem.

Anyway with my treo i did this and it worked. Hope it works for you.

Download Magical

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=199115&sectionId=5897&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1

Run it

Create a new rule & Name it

Rule type = phone outbound

filter type = all

The click operations

Action1 = change number

call to = 1{phone}

and save it.

Now it will dial a 1 in front of all outgoing calls....

This means you have to go through all your contacts again and remove the 1 that you put in front of your numbers when you first found out this phone wouldn't auto prepend. It runs in the background and doesnt change the look and feel.

It worked for me, and would probably work on all the other Telus pda running windows that don't prepend.

"
Only problem I foresee is dialing international destinations. Any suggestions?
8blue12

8blue12
8. RE: HTC P4000 will not dial 1 in front of long distance area codes
Dec 27 2007, 7:55 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2007, 7:55 PM EST
The number 1 is required for land line phones in order to dial a long distance number. Cell phones do not require the number 1 to be dialed.
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?