• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...This is a featured thread

2  | Next

Anonymous
WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Jul 19 2007, 11:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2007, 11:54 PM EDT
Has anyone found a solution besides taking the card out on startup and then reinserting after the phone has booted up. Hope we find a solution quick.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Anonymous
1. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Jul 23 2007, 9:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 23 2007, 9:00 PM EDT
No solution that I have heard of yet.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Jul 25 2007, 2:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2007, 2:59 PM EDT
on the xda-developers forum, some people have indicated that they figured out that the Windows Live program is the culprit. it apparently creates spurious items in the notification queue, which build up, and then cause the startup loop issue. so apparently it doesn't have to do anything with memory cards. the suggested solution is to delete the windows live key folder in the registry (because uninstalling the software is tricky since it is almost hardwired into WM6), but anytime you use it again problems will arise. unfortunately i actually like to use MSN Messenger, and its now integrated into Live... so i haven't personally tested it. i just try not to turn off my machine very often (charge it before battery dies out completely) and when i do i try to do it at night when i can just let it cycle/loop as much as it wants... generally it eventually boots up OK (who knows how long it takes!)
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
gw_dash

gw_dash
3. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Nov 10 2007, 11:08 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 10 2007, 11:08 PM EST
Glad to see I wasn't the only one experiencing that problem! As often as I had to do a soft reset on my Dash, it was aggravating. I gave up using my Dash's snap-on skin because of this; I was tired of having to pry it off once or twice a day. At some point, not sure when, the Dash quit going into the loop. I have not uninstalled Live! or tweaked its registry key, so I'm not sure what changed. Wish I could trace it back and tell you.

What helped speed the boot on my Dash was creating a folder within the STARTUP folder and moving the MyFaves and Voicecommand shortcuts to the new folder. I called the folder REMOVED and I have the shortcuts handy if I decide I want to use one of those services. That has speeded up my boot time and given me a lot more memory to play with. :)
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Nov 15 2007, 9:56 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 15 2007, 9:56 PM EST
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...525#post1668525

This is a new SDHC Driver from XDA wm5/wm6

Solve the problem for me
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
5. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Dec 12 2007, 2:48 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2007, 2:48 AM EST
Does anyone know if SDHC cards work with WM6 on Dash, or do you need the driver upgrade????
Please write back if anyone knows if either work on WM6?

Thanks in advance!
Do you find this valuable?    
goneoutflying

goneoutflying
6. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Dec 26 2007, 9:35 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 26 2007, 9:35 AM EST
I have this same problem, however when i take out the SD card it just freezes on start-up instead of going into the loop.
My dash started do do this when i updated to WM6 however it usually started after 5 to 10 loops, i very rarely turned off my phone so this wasn't to much of a problem.
Recently I downloaded an update for Microsoft live. after i did this my phone kept saying it was running on low memory, I thought this was odd because i store everything on the SD card, so i checked the memory in task manager , no programs running and 60% memory free on my phone , and 75% free on the card, no low amounts of memory anywhere.

Shortly after this my phone would just shut off, no shut down screen or anything, it just turned off and the battery had a full charge. It did this a bunch of times for a few days until now, it won't even start up at all with or without the SD card. I also tried it without the sim card and it froze too.

any help would be greatly appreciated>
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Dec 26 2007, 12:11 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 26 2007, 12:11 PM EST
I too need an answer to goneoutflying's question, My Dash did the same thing yesterday, I recently updated Microsoft Live (on Sunday the 23rd) and had the same issues as goneoutflying. I would continuously stop all applications using the Task manager but still got the memory problems. Yesterday, my phone froze when I was trying to get to the task manager so I did a hard reboot and the phone wont start up at all. It freezes right at the moving red and white T-Mobile screen...and has been stuck there ever since.....

HELP!!!
goneoutflying

goneoutflying
8. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Dec 27 2007, 9:17 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2007, 9:17 AM EST
Well I found a solution to my problem, however I hope that everything on your phone has been backed up. I did a hard reset which will restore the phone to the factory settings, only stuff stored on and SD card or Sim card will be safe, but anything stored on the device will be deleted

To do a hard reset you

hold down the soft keys ( the two that have a " - " on it next to the send and end call keys)

then while holding down those keys press the power button for 1-2 seconds, keep holding down the soft keys
the t-mobile screen should flash up for a second and then it should prompt you to restore factory settings press the send key to continue.

If you get to the windows mobile screen you missed it and have to start over

even after this my phone restarted over a few times and then finally went into a cold boot config which took a few minutes then restarted and finally started up normally.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
9. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Dec 27 2007, 12:03 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 27 2007, 12:03 PM EST
I was going to tell you I did the same thing. :) It was weird, the phone still stuck on the TMobile start screen but had the normal start up sounds...Anywho, no I didnt have anything backed up so I lost a lot... But, the phone works!! Now I'm download shy...I will worry about what else will crash it..

Thanks for responding!

Anonymous
10. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Jan 3 2008, 7:44 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2008, 7:44 PM EST
I found that mine will do it if I am running low on storage space on the phone. Whenever it starts looping, I just go delete some content, or move it to the storage card. it has worked every time for me.

Anonymous
11. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Jan 5 2008, 12:59 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2008, 12:59 AM EST
i dont know if this will help out anyone but ive experienced the following happening with my dash and that it freezes once in a while and then restarts like 20-30 times in a row and when it does that i go into the text messaging are and delete all messages and it cures my problems for quite a while..until i have more then like 500 messages then it does it again...

Anonymous
12. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Feb 27 2008, 7:29 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2008, 7:29 AM EST
"<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-6" style="background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;">http</layer>://<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-1" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">forum</layer>.<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-4" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;">xda-developers</layer>.<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-5" style="background-color: Chartreuse; color: black;">com</layer>/<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-7" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">showthread</layer>...<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-8" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">525</layer>#<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-9" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;">post1668525</layer>

This is a new SDHC Driver from XDA wm5/wm6

Solve the problem for me"
This link doesn't work!! (It's not complete, because it's a bad copy&paste)... Help me!

Anonymous
13. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Mar 16 2008, 12:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2008, 12:29 PM EDT
While this Window Live suggestion may have some merit, why then does the unit start ONLY, once you remove the card.

Anonymous
14. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Apr 23 2008, 3:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 23 2008, 3:24 PM EDT
"I have this same problem, however when i take out the SD card it just freezes on start-up instead of going into the loop.
My dash started do do this when i updated to WM6 however it usually started after 5 to 10 loops, i very rarely turned off my phone so this wasn't to much of a problem.
Recently I downloaded an update for Microsoft live. after i did this my phone kept saying it was running on low memory, I thought this was odd because i store everything on the SD card, so i checked the memory in task manager , no programs running and 60% memory free on my phone , and 75% free on the card, no low amounts of memory anywhere.

Shortly after this my phone would just shut off, no shut down screen or anything, it just turned off and the battery had a full charge. It did this a bunch of times for a few days until now, it won't even start up at all with or without the SD card. I also tried it without the sim card and it froze too.

any help would be greatly appreciated>"
My 16 month old Dash started doing this, and the T-Mobile help desk pronounced it DOA. I have the insurance, ($6/month) but still had to pay a $110 deductible, as it was out of warranty. The new machine should arrive today. Earlier in the day, before it went terminal on me, it started giving me messages that I was out of storage room. Eventually it was giving me that message every 10 seconds, and then it went into senility, and died. Steve

Anonymous
15. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Apr 25 2008, 8:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 25 2008, 8:18 AM EDT
Hello all. I'm sure this message is a little late for the person who started it, but i believe I have found a solution to most of our problems. The quote below is from a user at the modaco.com forums.

"I had a similar problem on my S710 and couldn’t locate the file omap850_sdhc_mux.dll in windows directory for the renaming solution.

But then I found another solution from one MS forum. Change the ‘Home Screen’ layout to Windows Simple, colour scheme & background image to default. Then it boots OK, consistently. (If the SD recognized and being mounted as ‘Storage Card2’ then rename the folder ‘Storage Card’ to something else and re-boot).

In that discussion thread there was some mention of the Home Screen loading process being initiated prior to the SDHC card driver being loaded. In such case, if there are any references to the Storage Card locations during the Home Screen flash process (actually, I had installed few apps on the SD that displays contents on the Home Screen), then it gets into such boot loops."

I've tested this solution. (changing my homescreen to windows simple (or basic)) And it works for me. If you find out that your homescreen is the problem remember to check what plugins your current favorite homescreen uses. Many of the interesting ones use the smartmonitor, facade, or phone alarm plugins. Just make sure that none of your plugins are installed on your SD card and this should resolve the issue. Even if you're pretty sure they're saved to your device it won't hurt to uninstall them (after changing your homescreen to simple) then reinstall them on your device. You'll know if this solution has worked the next time you have loaded your good homescreen and rebooted. The homescreen that I like uses facade and smartmonitor. It seems that smart monitor was the culprit as after I uninstalled the plugin, then reinstalled it on my device I stopped receiving the reboot loop with my homescreen.

Anonymous
16. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Aug 14 2008, 11:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2008, 11:54 AM EDT
"I had a similar problem on my S710 and couldn’t locate the file omap850_sdhc_mux.dll in windows directory for the renaming solution."
That renaming solution to which your referring is to rename \Windows\omap850_sdhc_mux.dll to \Windows\omap850_sdhc_mux.dll.old or (in my case, T-Mobile Wing) to rename \Windows\omap850_sdhc.dll to \Windows\omap850_sdhc.dll.old due to a bug in the file introduced in an after ROM update. By renaming it, the equivalent file in ROM is used to replace it (thus, effectively downgrading). It worked like magic for me, but I didn't try it with the built-in file explorer so you'll probably need a 3rd party file explorer.

Anonymous
17. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Sep 19 2008, 3:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 19 2008, 3:11 AM EDT
I deleted all my stored messages and freed up some more space and removed the myFav from the startup. Now my Dash starts fine.

Anonymous
18. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Sep 20 2008, 6:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 20 2008, 6:12 PM EDT
i had the same problem and all i did is buy a new sd card 4gb from a computer store and worked

Anonymous
19. RE: WM6 startup loop with Micro SD card inserted...
Oct 23 2008, 2:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 23 2008, 2:11 PM EDT
i deleted all my text messages and now my Htc vox starts fine
2  | Next