• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Un-nessary program removal?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts

jessb206
Un-nessary program removal?
Friday, 5:45 PM EST | Post edited: Friday, 5:45 PM EST
I would also like to know how to remove un-needed programs from the AT&T HTC TILT2. If I find out, I'll report back here. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: Un-nessary program removal?
Saturday, 5:37 AM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 5:37 AM EST
"I would also like to know how to remove un-needed programs from the AT&T HTC TILT2. If I find out, I'll report back here."
The easiest way to rid your device of Bloatware is to not load it in the first place. When you do a hard reset, as the device is coming back up, watch the screen and you will see a notice that it is loading AT&T content (the message varies from device to device) but when you see that type of message, hit the soft reset button with your stylus. That will interrupt the loading of the Bloatware and complete the reset without loading it. Whether the bloatware is loaded or not will not affect the speed of your phone. All that junk software is simply loaded into the storage memory of the device but is not activated as a running program unless you tap one of the apps to load it. If you did erase something the phone needs to run, you could simply do another hard reset and it would load back so nothing would be lost.

The best way to keep the speed up on your device is to make sure you don't have programs running that you don't need. Check the Task Manager by going to Start>Settings>System Tab>Task Manager and stopping the apps that you don' t need. After I sync my phone with my PC, I always stop Active Sync from running in the background, since it will reload itself the next time I sync. Some of the other apps that take a lot of program memory are GPS, QuickGPS. Having more available program memory will keep your device speedy.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
2. RE: Un-nessary program removal?
Saturday, 6:06 AM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 6:06 AM EST
I am having the same problem... I replied in a different thread to you about it... I am hesitant to do another hard reset and lose my settings...

Also are there not some of those AT&T content that loads that you would want? just curious...

also, when the AT&T guy at the store did delete a lot of stuff through tools - explorer, there were a bunch of games and it freed up alot of space that I could use for other programs... only problem was he deleted something he should not have which caused problems... but he freed up alot for me... i ended up doing a hard reset and losing all my settings, etc...

i did get this phone because it was advertised to have the 32GB storage; and yet there is so little on the phone itself and that is where my outlook is stored and that takes up the most space; my contacts, emails, tasks, calendar - none of it seems to be able to be stored on the microSD card - very frustrated...

thks for your help.... you've had a lot of helpful tips!!!! : )
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
3. RE: Un-nessary program removal?
Saturday, 9:32 AM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 9:32 AM EST
32 GB ? : ) More like 512mb. The phone will take a 32GB sdhc card, and probably more if they come out with a higher capacity card.

I hard reset my phone at least monthly and it has run great since I bought it. It takes what , one , two hours at the most, if you have a huge number of programs to reinstall ? Getting rid of the AT$T bloatware will free up a lot of memory, and there is really nothing there that is worth anything.

When you try new programs and new downloads, a lot of " junk " is loaded into the background ans program removal does not always get it all. A good hard reset really cleans out your phone. I use apps like Sashimi and Keep my tones, to auto reload everything after a hard reset. A good task manager, I use WK Task helps to keep your phone free of needlessly running apps and lets you see exacl\tly what is running at start up and what is running in the background..

Your new Tilt is like your car, if you just want it to drive you back and forth to work everyday, change the oil once in a while and you are all set. If you want it to perform tip top, and last a long time then you have to be a little more pro-active.

Of course if you want to " supercharge " it, well that's another story.

Nancy1333
4. RE: Un-nessary program removal?
Saturday, 10:19 AM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 10:19 AM EST
great feedback denco7. I agree because I uninstalled a lot of stuff the space on the phone still did not free up UNTIL I did the hard reset...

I need to know how to safely get rid of the crapola bloatware that came with it; ... and also if I do do a hard reset then dont I love all of my configuration settings like for example the pics I have associated with my contacts, etc...

there are a lot of demo app's loaded that no one would use;

is WK Task a downloadable app? can you give me a link to a good website for it?

keep the suggestions coming - most appreciated!!!! :) cause as this point I still have 2 weeks of my trial and I am soooooooooo close to swapping it for something else...

I HATE MACS and IPHONES but with that you get 32GB free; i heard it syncs now with outlook also which I need... it probably wouldnt play my videos and music though that are not in mac formats...

but then again there might be an app to play them... I SWORE I would never get an IPhone but I am so frustrated with this TILT 2...

I mean I LOVE the fact it can be a modem and WIFI and so many other great things, but I am coming across a lot of negative stuff really frustrating me...

I STILL cannot get my VOIP .wav voicemails to play that come thru via my emails... HTC has told me its a known issue with their phones... I bought an app for $30 and it still won't work...

thks 4 your help (and so what is a supercharge? LOL
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
5. RE: Un-nessary program removal?
Saturday, 6:40 PM EST | Post edited: Saturday, 6:43 PM EST
Hang in there Nancy. HTC tech support isn't so great, but there are people on this Wiki that really know these devices and can give you lots of help. denco7 is one of them. The supercharging he is talking about fits right in with your questions about bloatware. He is talking about cooked ROMs (aka custom ROMS). These are ROMs (Operating Systems) that are developed by developers known as "chefs". They cook up ROMs that have the bloatware stripped out. Many of them use different radio software for WiFi, 3G, and streamline the User Interface on the devices. These ROMs generally blow the doors off of a ROM developed by HTC to the specifications of the carrier. In the case of the T2 - AT&T specifies what it wants, and doesn't want in its ROMS and HTC writes them that way. They are middle of the road ROMs and don't peak the performance of the devices.

The downside to the cooked ROMs is that they void your warrantee. I usually run the stock ROM until the warrantee expires on my device (one year with AT&T) and then "go shopping" at XDA Developers site to find the ROM I like. denco7 has been running WM6.5 (various ROMs) on his Tilt for over a year, even though 6.5 was just officially announced in October of 2009. I recommend that you get used to the Tilt2, dump the bloatware and get a feel for all the good features of the phone before you look at supercharging it. The big question is whether you have an interest in tweaking and improving the device, or are just a power user that wants it to work as advertised - right out of the box. If it's the latter, the T2 will be pretty frustrating for a few months until you get the hang of it. If your up to the challenge, the HTC phones are unbeatable when you get the bugs out. There is some rumbling of an upgraded WM6.5 called WM6.5.1 that is claimed to fix some of the 6.5 bugs. It will probably be a few months before AT&T will release their version of it.
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)