• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performanceThis is a featured thread

Showing 5 posts
tokyo-joe
tokyo-joe
Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performance
Aug 30 2009, 11:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am thinking about buying either Touch HD or Touch Pro2. Yes, I know all the differences between two devices, such as hardware keyboard and screen sizes, but I am wondering if there is a significant difference in GPS performance (particularly time required to lock GPS). The HTC website says Touch HD has an "Assisted" GPS, while Touch Pro2 doesn't. Because I am little frustrated with Touch Diamond that needs very long time to get GPS locked, I would like to pick a device with shorter GPS lock time for the next one.

Can anybody give comments on difference between two devices particularly in GPS lock time regards?
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: GPS Touch HD Touch Pro2
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performance
Aug 30 2009, 2:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2009, 2:21 PM EDT
"Hi all,

I am thinking about buying either Touch HD or Touch Pro2. Yes, I know all the differences between two devices, such as hardware keyboard and screen sizes, but I am wondering if there is a significant difference in GPS performance (particularly time required to lock GPS). The HTC website says Touch HD has an "Assisted" GPS, while Touch Pro2 doesn't. Because I am little frustrated with Touch Diamond that needs very long time to get GPS locked, I would like to pick a device with shorter GPS lock time for the next one.

Can anybody give comments on difference between two devices particularly in GPS lock time regards?"
The Touch Pro2 also has AGPS. Read: http://www.htc.com/www/faqs.aspx?p_id=250&cat=0&id=92406.

The lock time is dependent on signal quality which AGPS helps with, but it is often more dependent on having the ephemeral data downloaded from QuickGPS before you try to lock onto the first satellite. Read the page on this Wiki entitled "GPS Software" for information on QuickGPS.

One thing you didn't mention, are you in the U.S. or Japan? If you are in the U.S. you definately do NOT want the Touch HD, since it's radio frequency pickup for 3G is not compatible with 3G in the U.S. Europe and Asia use 900/2100 MHz and U.S. uses 850/1900MHz. If you are in Japan the HD will pickup 3G and the Touch Pro2 built for Europe/Asia will also. If you are in the U.S. the Touch Pro 2 (U.S. version) is the only choice if you want 3G.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
tokyo-joe
tokyo-joe
2. RE: Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performance
Aug 30 2009, 3:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2009, 3:59 PM EDT
Hi Sgarrela,

Thanks you very much for your advise.

Yes, I realize QuickGPS helps quick GPS lock. I am trying to have GPS locked with downloading sat data via QuickDPS before locking. However, it takes millions of years on my Touch Diamond (and also on my Advantage X7501).

A question still remains is "does AGPS work even in Japan?". From what I heard, AGPS uses cell network information to help GPS locked quickly. I am in Japan and wondering if an AGPS device sold in US/Europe works properly in Japanese cell networks.

Any thought?
Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
3. RE: Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performance
Aug 30 2009, 4:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
"Hi Sgarrela,

Thanks you very much for your advise.

Yes, I realize QuickGPS helps quick GPS lock. I am trying to have GPS locked with downloading sat data via QuickDPS before locking. However, it takes millions of years on my Touch Diamond (and also on my Advantage X7501).

A question still remains is "does AGPS work even in Japan?". From what I heard, AGPS uses cell network information to help GPS locked quickly. I am in Japan and wondering if an AGPS device sold in US/Europe works properly in Japanese cell networks.

Any thought?"
You are correct about AGPS. The technology should be the same no matter where you are operating. As long as you have cell tower contact and GPS working, the AGPS algorithms should work any where. I'm surprised it takes so long to lock onto satellites if you have downloaded QuickGPS data via internet. Have you actually been able to lock? or are you still trying to figure that out? Do you find this valuable?    
tokyo-joe
tokyo-joe
4. RE: Touch HD and Touch Pro2 - GPS performance
Aug 30 2009, 4:42 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2009, 4:42 PM EDT
"I'm surprised it takes so long to lock onto satellites if you have downloaded QuickGPS data via internet. Have you actually been able to lock? or are you still trying to figure that out?"
I am able to lock GPS occasionally but fail to lock, say 50% of my trials (again, even right after downloading sat data via QuickGPS). A possible reason would be obstacle by high-rise buildings in central Tokyo area (in case you don't know how crowded Tokyo is, I would say it is like New York or Hong Kong). But still, it takes about 3-5 minutes to get locked even in an open place. I am assuming it is because GPS was developed by The US forces, so sats might be placed so that they fly over US territories more (I am not sure thought......). Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)