• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: htc hd and Att serviceReported This is a featured thread

Showing 6 posts

johanna2
htc hd and Att service
Jul 3 2009, 1:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2009, 1:41 PM EDT
I am looking at getting the htc hd . Can anyone please tell me how it works with Att service. I live in California. Any pros or cons would be great as to this phone and how well it works with Att , also how well it works in general. I really like this phone but not alot I can find out also will it ever be able to use Att 3g service.Thank you Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None

aikwtan
1. RE: htc hd and Att service
Jul 6 2009, 2:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 6 2009, 2:38 PM EDT
I just got the HTC Touch HD T8282 myself and it works great with ATT. You only get Edge though, not 3G. I think you need to get the Australia version T8285 if you want 3G. But for me, I don't plan to have data plan with ATT so it doesn't matter... Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
2. RE: htc hd and Att service
Jul 6 2009, 9:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 6 2009, 9:18 PM EDT
"I am looking at getting the htc hd . Can anyone please tell me how it works with Att service. I live in California. Any pros or cons would be great as to this phone and how well it works with Att , also how well it works in general. I really like this phone but not alot I can find out also will it ever be able to use Att 3g service.Thank you"
The HD was designed for Europe and Asia where the 3G is on a different frequency spectrum than the U.S. so the HD will never get true 3G in the U.S. It will get Edge (2G). The new HTC Touch Pro 2 does everything the HD does plus it gets 3G in the U.S. AT&T calls it the Fortress and it's due to be available sometime this summer. It has a 3.6" screen WVGA vs a 3.8" WVGA on the HD, but it has a slide out QWERTY keyboard that the HD doesn't have. If the slide out isn't important to you, the HTC Touch Diamond 2 is like the HD (no slide out keyboard) but it's screen is slightly smaller 3.2" WVGA. AT&T calls it the Warhawk and it's also due to be available in the U.S. this summer. The AT&T upgrade (if you're scheduled for one) will be about $300. The HDs sell for $600-$800 not thru AT&T. Do you find this valuable?    

johanna2
3. RE: htc hd and Att service
Jul 10 2009, 3:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2009, 3:04 PM EDT
Thank you for the reply. Can you tell me if you know if the other funtions on the Hd will work with the Att service. I now understand the 2g is it alot slower then 3g really. I am wondering if gps and all the other things will work or not if you know. I love the phone and screen size I will also look into the others you mentioned but if the HD will work and it isn't snail pace on 2g I will look at it again. Do you find this valuable?    

johanna2
4. RE: htc hd and Att service
Jul 10 2009, 3:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2009, 3:07 PM EDT
Thank you for your reply. Do all the phone funtions work on the att service if you use them? I like the size and what the phone does but want to make sure it will all work properly. Have you tried the 2g and if so is it really slow or what. Thank you Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
5. RE: htc hd and Att service
Jul 10 2009, 4:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
"Thank you for your reply. Do all the phone funtions work on the att service if you use them? I like the size and what the phone does but want to make sure it will all work properly. Have you tried the 2g and if so is it really slow or what. Thank you"
I don't have an HD so I can't speak with 100% authority on its features, but from what we've heard from people using the HD on the AT&T network, it works very well, except for 3G. GPS is carrier independent, so that's not an issue. I get most of my internet data downloads from my WiFi, so 3G vs Edge (2G) wouldn't be a huge deal to me, but there is no question that 3G is much faster. If data downloads (email, internet) are important to you, I suggest you wait until the Touch Pro2 (ATT Fortress) comes out in a few weeks. The 3.6" WVGA screen on the Fortress compares favorably to the 3.8" on the HD, plus it has 3G and the slide out QWERTY keyboard the HD doesn't have.

Also, if cost or support are issues for you, the Fortress will be available as an AT&T phone (with AT&T subsidy and support). Cost will probably be $300. The HD over the internet is $600 to $800 with no recourse if it breaks. AT&T warrants its devices for a year. I'm waiting for the Fortress to come out.
Do you find this valuable?