• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Just upgraded to Google LatitudeReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 19 of 19  |  Show  posts at a time
piper18
piper18
Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 5 2009, 11:41 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 5 2009, 11:41 PM EST
Just to let everyone know that Google released Google Latitude, a upgrade from Google Maps. I upgraded it on my Touch Pro and it works good. If you sign up with igoogle you can see where you are and your friends are on a PC or your phone. Works just like the old Google Maps but has a extra option in the menu named Latitude. I just tried it and it showed where I was on my PC but I have to get a friend signed up to try tracking them. You can block all or certain people on your friends list from see where you are at any time.

http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html
Do you find this valuable?    
prince_q8
prince_q8
1. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 5:19 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 5:19 PM EST
Works great with my HTC Diamond also.. Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
2. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 5:40 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 5:40 PM EST
It did conflict with Live Search Mobile. I found that Live Search would not load and then when you aborted, the phone was sluggish until I did a soft reset. I reinstalled Live Search and so far it looks like its working good but I have to do more testing. Do you find this valuable?    

adralian
3. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 6:52 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 6:52 PM EST
It's working great on my Touch Pro as well, but only when Google Maps is the active application. If I leave it running in the background or exit and allow latitude to continue sharing the igoogle website never shows another update. Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
4. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 7:52 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 7:52 PM EST
has anyone tried it while you where moving to see if will track you? I just wonder if you are not moving that it doesn't update. I went and selected picture as a icon from the phone and it updated it to the PC but the time since update didn't change. I turned off the app on the phone and restarted it and then the PC updated right away. I looked for a setting for a update period but could not find one. Do you find this valuable?    
kungfubass1961
kungfubass1961
5. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 10:19 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 10:19 PM EST
ive got it on my dash, the street view works great, but do i have to be out side to get my location becouse i tried it at home and said my location was unavalabile, ive added my wife with her shadow that work ok but did seem to find our location Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
6. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 6 2009, 11:24 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 6 2009, 11:24 PM EST
Were you able to track your wife using Latitude? Do you find this valuable?    
kungfubass1961
kungfubass1961
7. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 7 2009, 6:45 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2009, 6:45 PM EST
lol still trying to findout how its works, may have to google it and see if theres any info on how to work it Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
8. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 7 2009, 7:24 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2009, 7:24 PM EST
I watched the video on there and when they where showing his friends on the PC it showed most of the contacts where 3 hours old so my guess is it does not track in real time unless you keep restarting the app. Have to play with it more. Do you find this valuable?    

tomarmor
9. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 7 2009, 11:07 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2009, 11:07 PM EST
I also updated Google Maps to use the Latitude feature, it worked fine for about 24 hours, now I get this error message every time I try to access the program: "WininetReadError [0]". When I Google this error it takes me back to 2007 discussions that seem to say the error is in Windows Mobile 6.0 and Google Mobile/Maps??. I am using an HTC Touch Cruise (P3650) on AT&T, but I bought the unlocked handset on the open market (vs. AT&T). Any ideas, help, references?? Do you find this valuable?    
kungfubass1961
kungfubass1961
10. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 7 2009, 11:44 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2009, 11:44 PM EST
ok heres how it works for me i just set my location and my wife can see on map were am at but this is only a set location so if i move from that location the setting stays the same, i tried useing the auto locater but it dont seem to work at this time, so if am at a location that my wife needs to see were am at and want to drive there i have to set it manually for now so she can find me, was hopeing the auto locater would work well try set it next time to see if it works,

and true its still not real time i still see old map from 3years ago,
kungfubass1961
kungfubass1961
11. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 7 2009, 11:50 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2009, 11:50 PM EST
"ok heres how it works for me i just set my location and my wife can see on map were am at but this is only a set location so if i move from that location the setting stays the same, i tried useing the auto locater but it dont seem to work at this time, so if am at a location that my wife needs to see were am at and want to drive there i have to set it manually for now so she can find me, was hopeing the auto locater would work well try set it next time to see if it works,

and true its still not real time i still see old map from 3years ago,"
ok seems sky view is like 3years ago but street view more like two months ago lol Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
12. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 8 2009, 12:59 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2009, 12:59 AM EST
Thats normal for background maps to be several years old. I wish it had better a satellite view like Live search mobile, you can zoom in closer without loosing it and its has higher resolution. but for driving I use the road map view anyway. Do you find this valuable?    

pfergus
13. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 9:31 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 9:31 AM EST
I also upgraded to Google Latitude on my ATT 8525. It worked well, updating my location in iGoogle on my wife's laptop based on the IP location (not GPS) although at times I do have the GPS bluetooth dongle hooked up.

Trouble is that it stopped working and asked me to reload it to the phone, which I did. This version no longer works! The install in unsuccessful. I do what I have always done, that is install it to my memory card as I don't have enough memory on the unit to install it there, being a power user :)

I had to go all the way back to an install I did of Google maps 1.0.1 (that's the only CAB I happened to have saved) which works as expected, but now I've lost all the other cool features that Google added over time before Latitude.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know where I can get recent CABs for this application?

-pf
denco7
denco7
14. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 11:00 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 11:00 AM EST
"I also upgraded to Google Latitude on my ATT 8525. It worked well, updating my location in iGoogle on my wife's laptop based on the IP location (not GPS) although at times I do have the GPS bluetooth dongle hooked up.

Trouble is that it stopped working and asked me to reload it to the phone, which I did. This version no longer works! The install in unsuccessful. I do what I have always done, that is install it to my memory card as I don't have enough memory on the unit to install it there, being a power user :)

I had to go all the way back to an install I did of Google maps 1.0.1 (that's the only CAB I happened to have saved) which works as expected, but now I've lost all the other cool features that Google added over time before Latitude.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know where I can get recent CABs for this application?

-pf"
Make sure that you completely uninstall the previous version, then soft reset and try to install again. Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
15. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 12:42 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 12:42 PM EST
http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html Do you find this valuable?    

pfergus
16. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 1:08 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 1:08 PM EST
"Make sure that you completely uninstall the previous version, then soft reset and try to install again."
Did that, and same error. "Google Maps" cannot be installed. I was wondering if anyone had any links to recent (but NOT current) GoogleMaps_compressed.CAB files or perhaps a copy that they could send me by email?

-pf

pfergus
17. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 1:09 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 1:09 PM EST
"http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html"
Thanks, looking for recent but NOT current, I should have been more clear...

-pf
piper18
piper18
18. RE: Just upgraded to Google Latitude
Feb 20 2009, 2:20 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2009, 2:20 PM EST
http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps.html

This is for the previous version, non latitude version

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)