• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: blunted text messagesThis is a featured thread

islander1974
islander1974
blunted text messages
Aug 13 2008, 4:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2008, 4:10 PM EDT
how is that my HTC S720 (telus) sends 140 character text messages when the device literature clearly suggests that it can send 160 character messages? What happened to the other 20? Not that its a huge deal - i have an unlimted text message plan - but for anyone that doesn't, it could add up.

AND - when is telus going to allow MMS messaging for these devices (since we already know that the device is capable - its the carrier that won't allow it)?
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: mms s720 telus text messaging
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: blunted text messages
Aug 14 2008, 3:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2008, 3:46 PM EDT
"how is that my HTC S720 (telus) sends 140 character text messages when the device literature clearly suggests that it can send 160 character messages? What happened to the other 20? Not that its a huge deal - i have an unlimted text message plan - but for anyone that doesn't, it could add up.

AND - when is telus going to allow MMS messaging for these devices (since we already know that the device is capable - its the carrier that won't allow it)?"
For the SMS Character limitation, waht does the cahracter counter that shows up when you are composing indicate is the max?
If it shows 160 but only 140 are arriving to the recipient in one message and the remaining characters in a second message, that would inidcate a network limitation.
islander1974
islander1974
2. RE: blunted text messages
Aug 15 2008, 3:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 15 2008, 3:06 PM EDT
"For the SMS Character limitation, waht does the cahracter counter that shows up when you are composing indicate is the max?
If it shows 160 but only 140 are arriving to the recipient in one message and the remaining characters in a second message, that would inidcate a network limitation."
when typing a text message, the counter is at something like 14/140 until i hit that number, then its two messages, etc...
i just know for fact that these phones (like every one elses out there) sends 160 character messages...
browntannis
browntannis
3. RE: blunted text messages
Aug 15 2008, 3:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 15 2008, 3:12 PM EDT
"when typing a text message, the counter is at something like 14/140 until i hit that number, then its two messages, etc...
i just know for fact that these phones (like every one elses out there) sends 160 character messages..."
Looks like your software has the limitation; are you running a cooked ROM? Coudl also be a limitation that the carrier requested...
islander1974
islander1974
4. RE: blunted text messages
Aug 15 2008, 4:02 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 15 2008, 4:02 PM EDT
"Looks like your software has the limitation; are you running a cooked ROM? Coudl also be a limitation that the carrier requested..."
nothing cooked about my phone...virtually straight out of the box

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)