• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Cingular 8125 Startup Disk needed.This is a featured thread

CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
Cingular 8125 Startup Disk needed.
Jul 25 2008, 9:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 25 2008, 9:01 PM EDT
Yes, a mostly working Cingular 8125 (G4). I say mostly working. The "Private" phone speaker is not making noise at all period. However, speaker phone works fine, so It's still good to go.

This came with a lame battery that was replaced. That's all. The naked phone in a bag in a box.

Now, I have been charging it for a week using a USB cable to the desktop telling windows XP pro sp2 to cancel when it detects the device. And generally just having a great time poking keys and surfing the internet via the WiFi from my home 2wire portal. I have enjoyed it so much, I finally pulled the SIM card out of my trusty Motorola Razr V3 and slapped it into the 8125.

Going forward into the fog. I now want to do the sync thing and seriously consider the wm6 kitchen upgrades I have seen on the net. No worries about void warranty. Doh, I have none I am sure. No need to ask AT&T for WM6 I have read their policy is buy a new phone stupid!

So, down to the bottom line. Where can I download an ISO of the 8125 "startup disk"?

I have Downloaded Active sync 4.5, I have Outlook (2003 suite I think?). But, I am sure there are some device drivers Win XP will want to look over.
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
1. RE: Cingular 8125 Startup Disk needed.
Jul 27 2008, 4:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 27 2008, 4:32 PM EDT
Having taken the reigns in my teeth and charging in guns a blazing. I have some small bit of help for a follower in the dark path of a bare nekkid alien hardware.

First hurdle, back up your old phone stuff even if you have to manually type it up onto the desktop with WordPad.

Next, pull the SIM card from the old phone and put it into your 8125.
NOTE: the startup screen has #s on it. like 25.xx.00x or 25.xx.000x.
xx.xx.00x = G3
xx.xx.000x=G4
I have seen this G3/4 nomenclature on some software stuff (WM6 upgrade).

Locate your copy of Microsoft OUTLOOK (not outlook express) open it and set it as the default mail client.

Now go to Microsoft ActiveStync and download ver. 4.5 and install it on your WinXP desktop and go find your USB cable. Then jack it into the 8125. WinXP will do the "I found something" hesitate for about 5 seconds, then start active syncing your 8125. No further action needed as the USB cable driver seems to be in the phones folders. A modem driver? I have not used that yet.

WiFi; turn it on with connection manager (blue button in lower right corner) and it will look for a portal. When it stops at your router accept, and input the network key and bang your in.

My 2Wire home portal has the network key on the printed label. It is the lower number in [brackets]. If your 8125 locates a WiFi that is open or unprotected. bang it connects right in. I have found them hot and free to the store, mall, gas station, 7 out of 9 of my frequent restaurant stops. Hmm, yes two of them I have not been to lately.

Now to work out a Bluetooth GPS locator for the Google maps.

And I recommend getting a couple of MINI SD cards. One of which has an adaptor to SD so you can edit from the PC. save time and effort. two gigs of storage is a lot for notes and waiting room movies. Getting your tires changed? Set back and watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy while you wait.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)