• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800This is a featured thread

Axenoix
Axenoix
U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
May 25 2008, 3:44 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2008, 3:44 PM EDT
I recently bought a HTC PPC6800 from U. S. Cellular. After looking at the HTC site, http://www.htc.com/us/support.aspx, I realized that U. S. Cellular does not have an available update for the phone. This means that the U. S. Cellular users cannot have access to the GPS and other improving features as Alltel, Qwest, or Sprint customers can. If you have USC service then you know that this is disappointing. You can E-mail USC from their official customer service website: https://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/c_custserv.html Hopefully, if enough people demand this update they will provide. I provided the letter I sent to them below.

" The HTC PPC6800 cell phone provided by U. S. Cellular is an advanced and efficient device. Currently, the PPC6800 has a ROM version of 2.17.557.0 and a ROM date of 11/20/07. The Radio version is 1.64.00. The PRL version is 15052 with the PRI version of 1.31_027. So far, U. S. Cellular has not provided an update for the HTC PPC6800. Is there any information on the status of an update for the cell phone? This comes to the point of an inquiry because there are features that the HTC PPC6800 has but they cannot be used due to the lack of updates for the cell phone. These features could include improved battery life, GPS, improved Bluetooth, EV-DO Rev. A update, etc.

Is U. S. Cellular providing the best for their customers? Alltel, Qwest, and Sprint currently have updates for their HTC PPC6800 phones. When will U. S. Cellular provide an update for their phones? "

Remember to write in or send an E-mail to demand the best for the customers and their phones! Thanks!
17  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
1. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Jul 7 2008, 9:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 7 2008, 9:04 PM EDT
This is very agrivating. Thinking about switching service to another co.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
2. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Jul 8 2008, 12:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 8 2008, 12:57 AM EDT
"I recently bought a HTC PPC6800 from U. S. Cellular. After looking at the HTC site, http://www.htc.com/us/support.aspx, I realized that U. S. Cellular does not have an available update for the phone. This means that the U. S. Cellular users cannot have access to the GPS and other improving features as Alltel, Qwest, or Sprint customers can. If you have USC service then you know that this is disappointing. You can E-mail USC from their official customer service website: https://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/c_custserv.html Hopefully, if enough people demand this update they will provide. I provided the letter I sent to them below.

" The HTC PPC6800 cell phone provided by U. S. Cellular is an advanced and efficient device. Currently, the PPC6800 has a ROM version of 2.17.557.0 and a ROM date of 11/20/07. The Radio version is 1.64.00. The PRL version is 15052 with the PRI version of 1.31_027. So far, U. S. Cellular has not provided an update for the HTC PPC6800. Is there any information on the status of an update for the cell phone? This comes to the point of an inquiry because there are features that the HTC PPC6800 has but they cannot be used due to the lack of updates for the cell phone. These features could include improved battery life, GPS, improved Bluetooth, EV-DO Rev. A update, etc.

Is U. S. Cellular providing the best for their customers? Alltel, Qwest, and Sprint currently have updates for their HTC PPC6800 phones. When will U. S. Cellular provide an update for their phones? "

Remember to write in or send an E-mail to demand the best for the customers and their phones! Thanks!"
I'm trying to understand why U.S.Cellular is doing this.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
scottpj
scottpj
3. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Jul 8 2008, 10:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 8 2008, 10:37 PM EDT
I have attached a couple files for you to download and explore. The GPS.zip is the source files and executables but uses a manual install of your choice.
The second is the install program for Windows Mobile 6 for the GPS using the sample code issued by MS in their SDK. It did not work correctly and I was able to modify it for use on the Mogul.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Jul 21 2008, 8:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 21 2008, 8:32 PM EDT
"I have attached a couple files for you to download and explore. The GPS.zip is the source files and executables but uses a manual install of your choice.
The second is the install program for Windows Mobile 6 for the GPS using the sample code issued by MS in their SDK. It did not work correctly and I was able to modify it for use on the Mogul."
how did you get it to work my gps isnt working. whats the link to where you got this exe files from
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Axenoix
Axenoix
5. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Aug 26 2008, 4:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 4:07 PM EDT
I just wanted to post an update. I sent out another E-mail like the one in my first post. On August 13, 2008, I got this reply:
"Thank you for contacting the online Customer Care department. At this
time, U.S. Cellular has no immediate future plans to upgrade the HTC
PPC6800. We are always testing new models so more models will be tested
at later dates. As always, U.S. Cellular strives to continue to be
viewed as a top carrier with a comprehensive set of the latest product
offerings. Please continue to view our website for the latest
technology."
Ironic that they have a comprehensive set of the latest product offerings? Well, I believe so since Sprint, Alltel, and Quest have updates for the PPC 6800. I think others and myself would like to use their GPS at the very least, yes? PPCGeeks does have a way to get the GPS working. If you are interested, here is the link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24511 I'll post a few other updates later. Remember to E-mail U.S. Cellular and demand "comprehensive product offerings!" Thanks!

Anonymous
6. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Aug 29 2008, 3:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 29 2008, 3:16 PM EDT
We need to start a petition immediately my phones lags when you dial any number, and we deserve a update with all that money that were investing with them we need to get a update whom ever has a uscellular ppc6800 email me at [email protected] the more signatures the better the push for an update thank you.

Anonymous
7. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Aug 30 2008, 11:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2008, 11:42 AM EDT
"I recently bought a HTC PPC6800 from U. S. Cellular. After looking at the HTC site, http://www.htc.com/us/support.aspx, I realized that U. S. Cellular does not have an available update for the phone. This means that the U. S. Cellular users cannot have access to the GPS and other improving features as Alltel, Qwest, or Sprint customers can. If you have USC service then you know that this is disappointing. You can E-mail USC from their official customer service website: https://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/c_custserv.html Hopefully, if enough people demand this update they will provide. I provided the letter I sent to them below.

Remember to write in or send an E-mail to demand the best for the customers and their phones! Thanks!"
I know what you mean.....Just when they were able to keep up with the other wireless companies phone wise they don't have the ability to keep up with the technology of the phones like the other companies. What is the point in having these phones when they can't even support the features that are provided on the phones.....I knew I should have just exchange wireless company instead of sticking with them. I contract was up at the end of the year and now I resigned a 2 yr again.... :-(

Anonymous
8. RE: U. S. Cellular - No update for HTC PPC6800
Sep 10 2008, 7:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 10 2008, 7:03 PM EDT
they need cheaper phones like the htc or the htc touchit needs to be like $299 not $400
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?