• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: help with voice dial ?This is a featured thread

abirozy

abirozy
help with voice dial ?
Feb 9 2008, 2:02 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2008, 2:02 AM EST
Hello

When I am in my car I would like to be able to use the voice dial / program launch function of the tilt. I.E. I would like to be able to say "wife" for instance and have it dial my wife. It seems however that to do this even AFTER I have programed the voice tag, I need to hit START / TOOLS / VOICE DIAL. It seems that this is counter productive. Is there a way to program the function to a button or make it easy to access?

Also, is there a way to have my call history come up by pushing a button?

Thank You

Adam Birozy
Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
1. RE: help with voice dial ?
Feb 9 2008, 7:50 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2008, 7:50 AM EST
You can reprogram almost any of the buttons on the Tilt to be used for the Voice Dial. Goto Start\Settings\Buttons and in this app, you have a list of 5 buttons that you can change to different applications. From the drop down list, pick Voice Dial. Another option, which I have done, is to change your registry settings so that pretty much useless PTT button can be set for any application. It will require that you have a registry editor like PHM RegEdit., which can be downloaded for free here: http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Another recomendation I would make is to get Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 instead of the included voice dialing program. Microsoft Voice Command is a voice recognition application, so you don't have to train voice tags. You just talk to it and it recognizes your voice. For example, you can just say "Dial 555-555-5555" or "Call Dad" and it will start dialing. It also reads out appointments, new email headers, give you battery status, signal strength and some other cool features. It's $40, but well worth the investment.

As for call history, it can't be accessed by reprogramming a button, but it can be accessed by hitting the phone button. Once in the phone, hit the righ cursor key on the D-Pad and your call history comes up. Just note that you have to be in the dialer screen for that shortcut to work.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: help with voice dial ?
Jul 24 2008, 10:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 24 2008, 10:47 PM EDT
"You can reprogram almost any of the buttons on the Tilt to be used for the Voice Dial. Goto Start\Settings\Buttons and in this app, you have a list of 5 buttons that you can change to different applications. From the drop down list, pick Voice Dial. Another option, which I have done, is to change your registry settings so that pretty much useless PTT button can be set for any application. It will require that you have a registry editor like PHM RegEdit., which can be downloaded for free here: http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Another recomendation I would make is to get Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 instead of the included voice dialing program. Microsoft Voice Command is a voice recognition application, so you don't have to train voice tags. You just talk to it and it recognizes your voice. For example, you can just say "Dial 555-555-5555" or "Call Dad" and it will start dialing. It also reads out appointments, new email headers, give you battery status, signal strength and some other cool features. It's $40, but well worth the investment.

As for call history, it can't be accessed by reprogramming a button, but it can be accessed by hitting the phone button. Once in the phone, hit the righ cursor key on the D-Pad and your call history comes up. Just note that you have to be in the dialer screen for that shortcut to work."
I think the idea of reprogramming the PTT is a great one. I downloaded a registry editor from MS when PHM would load through my Vista system. AT this point the information i the registry is not intuitive. Could you share the specific settings you used to make the PTT re-programmable?

Anonymous
3. RE: help with voice dial ?
Aug 6 2008, 11:05 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 6 2008, 11:05 AM EDT
# Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine >> Services (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine is also referred to as HKLM elsewhere).
# Look for the PTT folder and delete the entire folder (not just the contents).
# Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine >> Software >> Microsoft >> Shell >> Keys
# Add a New Key and name it 40C6 (4 ZERO C 6).
# Select the new key you just added (40C6), in that key you just added add a New String. In the "Value name" field, type Name. In the "Value data" field, type Button 6. Click OK.
# Repeat the 2 steps above to Add a New Key called 40C7 (4 ZERO C 7) and a New String under this key called Name with the value Button 6 (hold).
# Exit the registry editor.
# Go to the Start Menu and choose Settings (bottom of the menu). Click Buttons and assign a program to the new entries (Button 6 and Button 6 Hold).
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
4. RE: help with voice dial ?
Oct 2 2008, 6:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2008, 6:00 PM EDT
"# Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine >> Services (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine is also referred to as HKLM elsewhere).
# Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine >> Software >> Microsoft >> Shell >> Keys
# Select the new key you just added (40C6), in that key you just added add a New String. In the "Value name" field, type Name. In the "Value data" field, type Button 6. Click OK.
# Repeat the 2 steps above to Add a New Key called 40C7 (4 ZERO C 7) and a New String under this key called Name with the value Button 6 (hold).
# Go to the Start Menu and choose Settings (bottom of the menu). Click Buttons and assign a program to the new entries (Button 6 and Button 6 Hold). "
This shouldnt be necessary anymore since MS Voice Command replaced VoiceTags in WM 6.1.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Krle

Krle
5. RE: help with voice dial ?
Oct 8 2008, 8:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 8 2008, 8:51 PM EDT
"# Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine >> Services (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine is also referred to as HKLM elsewhere).
# Go to the Start Menu and choose Settings (bottom of the menu). Click Buttons and assign a program to the new entries (Button 6 and Button 6 Hold). "
Not sure if it makes sense to respond now (4 months later) - but just in case (and I did not have Tilt then anyway):
With WM 6.1 upgrade you can reprogram PTT button by just going into Settings>>Buttons - and assign whatever function available.
And Voice Command is available - so exactly the thing to do - without editing registry or any other tweaks required.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)