• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Mobile Video for DummiesThis is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts

need4speed1717
Mobile Video for Dummies
Apr 2 2009, 4:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 2 2009, 4:53 PM EDT
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I will be forever grateful if this can be answered.
I have an HTC Touch Pro, and until now I have always used my phone for calls/email mainly. I have now discovered the world of mobile media. Could someone please give me step by step instructions (not as bad as click on file start etc, I’m not an idiot just inexperienced with movies) on how to convert movie files so they may be watch on my device without issues.
For example, I have no idea what file compressions are, no idea what size the files need to be etc. I have a free version of Prism Video Converter and that’s about it. Thank you for your assistance.
Do you find this valuable?    
CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
1. RE: Mobile Video for Dummies
Apr 3 2009, 1:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2009, 1:20 AM EDT
"Ok ladies and gentlemen, I will be forever grateful if this can be answered.
I have an HTC Touch Pro, and until now I have always used my phone for calls/email mainly. I have now discovered the world of mobile media. Could someone please give me step by step instructions (not as bad as click on file start etc, I’m not an idiot just inexperienced with movies) on how to convert movie files so they may be watch on my device without issues.
For example, I have no idea what file compressions are, no idea what size the files need to be etc. I have a free version of Prism Video Converter and that’s about it. Thank you for your assistance.
"
Sorry I dod not look up the touch pro for what it was specifically. I use an att8525.

I would:
1. check screen resolution on device.
2. Check for native codec. MP4 is most likely the one to use.
3. Settle on a functional convenient "converter".

There are more converters than Carter has little pills. So, try a few for a comfort fit. I have been testing something called "Total Video converter" (effectmatrix.com). Which has ground up most chunky stuff I fed into it. And Riva Converter (Rivavx.com) Both are drag and drop. The Riva encoder player is mainly FLV oriented. Capture and FLV video, copy it from the temp cache to a work directory drag the FLV onto the riva encoder and label it as an AVI output. A little later it either grinds it up or pukes it out. No real warning on that.

Once you have the AVI? You may need to convert it for screen size matching? Your Windows Movie maker 2 can resize stuff but you have to screw around to find the output you want. And it will be a WMV like it or not. Then once you have it the right size convert it to an mp4.

Do a search at download.com for video converter and see what pops up. I would not absolutlely fall in love with any one software tool. One size does not fit all.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

meneelyt
2. RE: Mobile Video for Dummies
Apr 3 2009, 5:51 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2009, 5:51 AM EDT
"I have an HTC Touch Pro, and until now I have always used my phone for calls/email mainly. I have now discovered the world of mobile media. Could someone please give me step by step instructions (not as bad as click on file start etc, I’m not an idiot just inexperienced with movies) on how to convert movie files so they may be watch on my device without issues.
"
The easy answer, if you are starting with a movie file (AVI, etc) is free:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=467112

Use that and play with Windows Mobile Player, or Album.

There are a lot of other converter options available, but most require you to use a different player than WMP (some are good and free), and I've more or less stopped looking for them.

Regards,
Tim
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)