• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: GPS for TYTN?

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

highbeam

highbeam
GPS for TYTN?
Nov 3 2007, 7:37 PM EDT
Hi, 2 threads in a row. New to the smartphone world.

Is there GPS available for TYTN? I assume you need a add on receiver etc... any help?
Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: GPS for TYTN?
Nov 3 2007, 8:30 PM EDT
Yes, you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver to hook up to your TyTN. I used the Holux 236 with my AT&T 8525 (TyTN in the U.S.) before I switched to the AT&T Tilt. This Holux is a great unit and you can get it here:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/holux-gpslim-236-gr-236-gpslim236-holux-slim-holux-sirf-iii-holux-gps-bluetooth-gps-468.aspx

You can also buy GPS navigation software on buygpsnow.com. Most people I know have either TomTom 6 or iGuidance. You can also download WIndows Live Search at wls.live.com or Google Maps Mobile at www.google.com/gmm. Both of these are free and can make use of the GPS receiver, so long as you also have some sort of data connection either through your cellular carrier or wi-fi. These two applications require a datafeed to download the maps as opposed to TomTom 6 or iGuidance, which store the maps on the MicroSD card.

Hope this helps.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
highbeam

highbeam
Nov 3 2007, 10:11 PM EDT
that's great. thanks for the info, i'll start looking at what you recommended. Cheers. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 10 2007, 12:38 PM EST
I've looked at both Tom tom 6 and iGuidance and I can't see that they are compatible with the TYTN at least not with the USA maps. The TYTN 11 was listed with Tom Tom 6 but not the TYTN. Does anyone know of USA sat nav maps that work with the TYTN? Thanks. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 10 2007, 1:22 PM EST
"I've looked at both Tom tom 6 and iGuidance and I can't see that they are compatible with the TYTN at least not with the USA maps. The TYTN 11 was listed with Tom Tom 6 but not the TYTN. Does anyone know of USA sat nav maps that work with the TYTN? Thanks. "
Both are compatible with the TyTN. They don't specifically list it out, but I know they work becauase I have the U.S. version of the TyTN, the 8525, and both have worked fine on mine. Do you find this valuable?    
kakolesha
kakolesha
Accessories for TYTN and its Cousins?
Nov 11 2007, 1:54 PM EST
Is there a Web Site for available dedicated accessories for TyTN and its cousins? There may be, but I thought I should ask. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Accessories for TYTN and its Cousins?
Nov 11 2007, 9:01 PM EST
"Is there a Web Site for available dedicated accessories for TyTN and its cousins? There may be, but I thought I should ask."
There are plenty of online retailers that sell accesories. You can goto the following:

1. Mobile Planet - www.mobileplanet.com - This store has original HTC and Third Party Manufacturer accessories.
2. Boxwave Corporation -www.boxwave.com - This company makes what I think to be the best screen protectors. They are scratch resistant and reusable.

3. PocketPC Techs - www.pocketpctechs.com - Another company that makes some accesories. They are more well known for repairing devices. They also provide internal memory upgrades on older Windows Mobile Devices (WM2003/2003SE, PocketPC2002).

4. Handango - www.handango.com - This online retailer sells software and is an excellent plce to find almost anything you want.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is something specific you are looking for.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
kakolesha
kakolesha
RE: Accessories for TYTN and its Cousins?
Nov 11 2007, 9:13 PM EST
Well, Thanks. I willl visit them. Thank you sir. Do you find this valuable?    
jsmith5915

jsmith5915
Apr 18 2008, 2:03 PM EDT
You do not need to buy a receiver if you have a TYTN II. The receiver is built in the phone. I bought the Tom Tom Navigator 6 and installed it with no problems. Do you find this valuable?    
Top Contributors