• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Steady red light won't power up

Watch
2 3  | Next
sillypickle

sillypickle
Steady red light won't power up
Oct 30 2007, 12:01 AM EDT
I love my phone... so far I have not been able to find one that I would like more. Well this morning when I went to use it, it was dead.. no biggie right? Well when I plugged it in the charger all I got was a steady red light. It won't power up, and the only sign of life is the steady red light when I plug it in. Anyone have any ideas? Is it toast or what?
Thank you!
Carrie
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Steady red light won't power up
Nov 11 2007, 9:26 AM EST
Got the same problem hope someone helps us :( 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
Nov 11 2007, 9:31 AM EST
"I love my phone... so far I have not been able to find one that I would like more. Well this morning when I went to use it, it was dead.. no biggie right? Well when I plugged it in the charger all I got was a steady red light. It won't power up, and the only sign of life is the steady red light when I plug it in. Anyone have any ideas? Is it toast or what?
Thank you!
Carrie"
If the LED doesnt turn to orange after a few minutes on the charger the issue is hardware related. It can be the battery or the device itself. You can determine which it is by trying another battery. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 11 2007, 9:42 AM EST
okeey gona test....it's red now...but still on the charger.... 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 11 2007, 11:01 AM EST
okeey it just keeps red, and without the battery on the contact it is also a red light :S 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
sillypickle

sillypickle
Nov 11 2007, 12:23 PM EST
I got a new battery last week, the battery did not help. I took the sob apart to make sure everything looked connected, still same thing.. I guess it is gone.. So sad! Thanks for the input! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 23 2007, 3:39 PM EST
This just happenned to me, too. The phone is only a week old! 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 31 2007, 9:43 AM EST
Same here. Phone is 2-3 weeks old. I made a call, then plugged it in, and got a weird purple color on the right notification LED. The standby/power button wasn't working either so I took the battery out and put it back in, then plugged it in and that's when the red LED came on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now I get no LEDs. Completely fubar. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 10 2008, 10:12 PM EST
Looks like I just ran across the same issue. One day out of the box, and I can't turn the phone on any more - the "red light of death" when charging is the only sign that it's not a complete brick. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
Jan 11 2008, 6:53 PM EST
"Looks like I just ran across the same issue. One day out of the box, and I can't turn the phone on any more - the "red light of death" when charging is the only sign that it's not a complete brick."
Is the RED LED constant or only when you have it attached to the charger and a power source?
Are you able to Hard Reset the device?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 20 2008, 11:28 AM EST
Got the same problem too. Phone is 3 weeks old, and it just died. Called HTC customer service and they said that it's dead. Since I finally found thsi thread and there are a number of us with the same problem, I think the TyTN II has a design flaw. Probably the charging/voltage regulator chip(s). I'm getting mine replaced. Do you find this valuable?    
alexargs
alexargs
Jan 23 2008, 10:46 PM EST
I Had the same problem red light constantly on, black screen, dead phone, what I did was to disamble the phone and then clean the mother board with an special alcohol (I don't know how to say it in english I think it's isopropyl alcohol) but you can ask in a specialized store (I think Radio shack) wait a few minutes and then it was working again. It was a miracle but might work for you guys 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 15 2008, 8:08 AM EST
Mine died after 2 months usage - same red light of death. The worst part is that it will take 4-6 weeks to get it repaired! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Mar 2 2008, 9:45 AM EST
I had the same red light problem with my phone yesterday after a couple months of usage so I had to get a new one. I woke up this morning and the new one had the red light on it. My luck it happens twice in a row! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Mar 9 2008, 1:01 PM EDT
i fixed plug it into the power source without a battery and press the power button it should light up red and then stop then put in the battery and the light shouldn't light up it should go orange but when you put in the battery turn it on the first try it'll prob shut off and go red try it again should work thank me @ [email protected] 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 18 2008, 7:08 PM EDT
"i fixed plug it into the power source without a battery and press the power button it should light up red and then stop then put in the battery and the light shouldn't light up it should go orange but when you put in the battery turn it on the first try it'll prob shut off and go red try it again should work thank me @ [email protected]"
Hey Good Work that did it for me!
Descipering your punctuationless instructions:

Plug in the Charger without the battery inside and switch on the power.
Without removing the charger plug in the battery, light went Orange.
Wait a moment or two then power on and you're in business.

Not sure how good this process is for the battery and it's almost certainly worth getting a new one if you can from the network but its probably a short term fix if necessary.

Good Luck to you all, shame about this flaw in an otherwise great phone.

Kudos
[email protected]
11  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 18 2008, 7:25 PM EDT
Also looking around the Net it seems to be a common fault with Manufacture date, 181007, viewable when the back cover is removed.

Kudos
[email protected]
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 18 2008, 8:00 PM EDT
I love you. I have never met you but i love you anyway. what you suggested worked and now my phone is charging and you are a genius thank you. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 25 2008, 10:50 AM EDT
Just a heads up to you all, further to the above, my phones battery now seems to barely last a day of not much usage. Not sure of this is a result of tricking it into working or not, but it has allowed me to save most of my stuff while I await a new one from T-Mobile.

Kudos
[email protected]
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 30 2008, 6:42 AM EDT
"Just a heads up to you all, further to the above, my phones battery now seems to barely last a day of not much usage. Not sure of this is a result of tricking it into working or not, but it has allowed me to save most of my stuff while I await a new one from T-Mobile.

Kudos
[email protected]"
same problem had new battery, and new charger, and new phone. came up with red, green,blue and white screen then died. just get red l.e.d. now. tried trick with no battery but it failed. manufacture date 090807. Thinking of going back to the Sony ericsson.

Mike
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3  | Next
Site pages
Top Contributors