• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: DimmingThis is a featured thread

2 3  | Next
riccopalermo

riccopalermo
Dimming
Oct 17 2007, 11:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 17 2007, 11:08 AM EDT
I have all the power savings off, all the backlights on, and still it dims. It dims almost immediately after I dial a call. If I have to punch in a pin or something, I can bearly see the screen. Sometimes if you tap the screen it comes back, sometimes I have to hit the power button twice. If the device goes into keyboard lock mode, and I am outsode in the daylight, then I can not see anything. Any tweaks would be appreciated. Thanks.
7  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: backlight dim dimming screen
Jim_R

Jim_R
1. RE: Dimming
Oct 17 2007, 12:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 17 2007, 12:26 PM EDT
"I have all the power savings off, all the backlights on, and still it dims. It dims almost immediately after I dial a call. If I have to punch in a pin or something, I can bearly see the screen. Sometimes if you tap the screen it comes back, sometimes I have to hit the power button twice. If the device goes into keyboard lock mode, and I am outsode in the daylight, then I can not see anything. Any tweaks would be appreciated. Thanks."
If you are speaking about the on screen keypad dimming while on a call, moving the jog wheel on the side will turn the backlight on again.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: Dimming
Oct 18 2007, 2:27 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2007, 2:27 PM EDT
I have seen the same issue on my tilt. Except it doesn't just dim; it dims and then goes dark! AT&T suggested it's a hardware issue and told me to go and exchange my phone... I tried that jog dial trick and it seems to work. Seems like a glitch they would have noticed? Maybe they think people would not want to inadvertantly tap a button while on a call? Who knows...

Anonymous
3. RE: Dimming
Oct 18 2007, 6:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2007, 6:18 PM EDT
I can't even read a web page. I read a line or two and dim it goes. The wheel works, but... Thanks.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
gerryb

gerryb
4. RE: Dimming
Oct 18 2007, 7:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2007, 7:14 PM EDT
mine too, att said do a hard re-boot, haven't tried that yet, wanted to get a micro-sd first for back-up. the jog wheel works but then the volume display covers the keypad, which is what i need displayed so i can do voice mail tasks.
Rainman76
Rainman76
5. RE: Dimming
Oct 18 2007, 8:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2007, 8:29 PM EDT
"mine too, att said do a hard re-boot, haven't tried that yet, wanted to get a micro-sd first for back-up. the jog wheel works but then the volume display covers the keypad, which is what i need displayed so i can do voice mail tasks."
The HTC TyTN II actually does the same thing. It's supposedly a battery saving feature that HTC has implemented. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to disable t his yet. Though I am sure someone will discover a way to disable this through registry edits. It'll just be a matter of time.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jim_R

Jim_R
6. RE: Dimming
Oct 19 2007, 2:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 19 2007, 2:23 AM EDT
The registry timeout is 10 seconds. There are registry modifications that can be made to increase the timeout. The KAiser Tweak applet available over at XDA-developers does allow modification of this timeout and others.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
7. RE: Dimming
Oct 19 2007, 9:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 19 2007, 9:32 AM EDT
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try it out.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
8. RE: Dimming
Oct 19 2007, 10:29 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 19 2007, 10:29 AM EDT
The other tweaks in the app worked. The "don't dim any more or I'll kill you" tweak did not. I really like this phone. It really is "the" phone to have. It has everything. To bad I can't see it!!!!
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Tilted

Tilted
9. RE: Dimming
Oct 24 2007, 2:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 24 2007, 2:47 PM EDT
I love this phone, too, but have received only the same generic email replies from various AT&T or HTC support teams: "this is not a problem with your phone" or "there is no update coming soon" or "check HTC for updates" or here is the most amazing one..."you have 30 days to return your phone"! Come on AT&T...is that what you really want all of us to do? Even after you turn the light back on with the scroll wheel, you can no longer use the "START" button to access other applications. The only thing you can avoid this is to start tapping the screen as soon as you place a call to keep the screen alive. We need a patch now...one that lets us control our own backlight dimming, and hopefully a patch that will not require resetting the phone and having to reload data and personal settings from scratch. Everyone knows how long that takes. Again, I love this phone, otherwise, but am feeling a bit "TILTED!"
Visorblue
Visorblue
10. RE: Dimming
Oct 24 2007, 6:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 24 2007, 6:10 PM EDT
As I was playing with GPS software I noticed that TomTom kept the screen full bright the entire time it ran on batteries. Not sure how they did it but it must be doable. Maybe they tricked the Tilt into thinking it was on external power?
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
11. RE: Dimming
Oct 25 2007, 12:21 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 25 2007, 12:21 AM EDT
You wrote: "Even after you turn the light back on with the scroll wheel, you can no longer use the "START" button to access other applications. The only thing you can avoid this is to start tapping the screen as soon as you place a call to keep the screen alive."

I have the same issue but here is what I do to make it work each time. I simply press the power key quickly off and then on. It does not turn off the device but resets it and the start menu then works along with the scroll wheel and the screen brightens back up.

I did call HTC and they said it should not be doing that and told me to call AT&T to have them send a new phone. I am going to do that. I hope this doesn't happen with the new phone.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
12. RE: Dimming
Oct 25 2007, 10:55 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 25 2007, 10:55 PM EDT
"You wrote: "What I do to make it work each time. I simply press the power key quickly off and then on. It does not turn off the device but resets it and the start menu then works along with the scroll wheel and the screen brightens back up.

I did call HTC and they said it should not be doing that and told me to call AT&T to have them send a new phone. I am going to do that. I hope this doesn't happen with the new phone."
At least on my phone, if you let the light dim, even once, the start button will not work, even if you press the power utton off and back on. You cannot use the start button again until after the call and you press the power button off, then on. The only way I can avoid losing the start button, like I said before, is by tapping the display before the display has a chance to dim the first time. NOT ACCEPTABLE! This was never a problem with my 8125.
heynurse

heynurse
13. RE: Dimming
Oct 27 2007, 1:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 27 2007, 1:01 AM EDT
Look at step two in this article, I had the same problems you did, but this did the trick!

Hope it helps for you too!
heynurse

heynurse
14. RE: Dimming
Oct 27 2007, 1:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 27 2007, 1:02 AM EDT
Doh! Forgot to paste the URL, here it is, see step two:
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/howto/how_to_customize_your_tilt.html
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
15. RE: Dimming
Oct 27 2007, 11:28 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 27 2007, 11:28 AM EDT
"Doh! Forgot to paste the URL, here it is, see step two:
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/howto/how_to_customize_your_tilt.html
"
Thanks so much! I never would have found this forum. I

n a perfect world, one could call customer support and they would say "yes, we are aware of your issue and are very interested in helping you resolve it as soon as possible!"
Softailrider

Softailrider
16. RE: Dimming
Oct 28 2007, 11:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 28 2007, 11:28 PM EDT
I had the very same problem and exchanged it.

browntannis
browntannis
17. RE: Dimming
Oct 30 2007, 3:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 30 2007, 3:34 PM EDT
"At least on my phone, if you let the light dim, even once, the start button will not work, even if you press the power utton off and back on. You cannot use the start button again until after the call and you press the power button off, then on. The only way I can avoid losing the start button, like I said before, is by tapping the display before the display has a chance to dim the first time. NOT ACCEPTABLE! This was never a problem with my 8125."
Do you have a password set on your device by chance?
If you do, that is the problem. The password timeout threshold is being reached and rather than the device prompting you for the password, it gets stuck. The workaround for this is to tap the Power button to put the device into Sleep mode, tap the power button again to wake it up and you should then be prompted for your password...

Anonymous
18. RE: Dimming
Oct 30 2007, 9:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 30 2007, 9:43 PM EDT
"Do you have a password set on your device by chance?
If you do, that is the problem. The password timeout threshold is being reached and rather than the device prompting you for the password, it gets stuck. The workaround for this is to tap the Power button to put the device into Sleep mode, tap the power button again to wake it up and you should then be prompted for your password..."
HTC Needs to create a patch for this.

That is a software problem and they are responsible to the consumer for the fix.

Come on HTC recognize the problem and put those idol minds to task.

Can't use a password, that is just wrong.

Anonymous
19. RE: Dimming
Oct 30 2007, 10:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 30 2007, 10:07 PM EDT
"Do you have a password set on your device by chance?
If you do, that is the problem. The password timeout threshold is being reached and rather than the device prompting you for the password, it gets stuck. The workaround for this is to tap the Power button to put the device into Sleep mode, tap the power button again to wake it up and you should then be prompted for your password..."
Sorry to report the password is not the issue. The phone did this before I added any customizations. The only workaround I know of is to keep tapping the screen before it dims or else say good bye to the start menu until you get off the call. It appears that others have already produced unauthorized fixes for this problem. HTC says AT&T has to authorize the fix. Hopefully, AT&T will come through when enough people complain or return their phones. Sure seems a shame that AT&T is allowing more new buyers each day to become disappointed by a flaw they could have fixed weeks ago. I would be disappointed if I were an AT&T employee or stockholder.
2 3  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)