• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Volume Hack

Keyword tags: None

Watch
meboyo

meboyo
Volume Hack
Oct 5 2007, 4:12 PM EDT
Ok, i looked everywhere to try to find out how to adjust the ring volume on my 8525.

There is no volume control for this any any area of the phone i could find. This included following the step on the help page "choose a new ringtone and adjust the volume". Aparently i am supposed to have a volume control there somewhere.

Anyway,
Tor those of you having the same problem i found out where it is in the registry and did it by hand.
its pretty easy so don't get scared off by it.

1. Use a registry editor (this site has info on it)
2. go to: HkeyCurrentUser / Control Panel / Sound Catagories / Ring
3. Click on "Ring" - You will see 5 entries in there. The 4th one down is called "InitVolume"
4. Click on this one and you will see there are two boxes. You want the one called "Value"
5. Change it to 5 (try it first then go higher) and call you phone. It should be much louder.

Note: i think if the number is set to "0" the sound will be off. That could be why some people say they can't get the ringer to play at all. I'm not sure what the hell is going on with the phone.... i'm just glad i was able to "pump up the volume" (i wear headphones at work)
16  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Volume Hack
Oct 26 2007, 9:08 AM EDT
There should be a volume adjustment if you click (sorry - 'tap') on the sound icon in the 8525's 'toolbar' (the bar across the top that extends to the right from the 'start' icon). When you tap, there should be a dropdown with two slider bars - one for device and one for phone. I found this quite by accident when googling the same volume issues (and refused to believe a volume control didn't exist - that's like getting a radio without a tuner - well...almost). Anyway, someone mentioned a toolbar, and low & behold! Too bad the manual doesn't make it that simple... 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 26 2007, 5:50 PM EDT
"There should be a volume adjustment if you click (sorry - 'tap') on the sound icon in the 8525's 'toolbar' (the bar across the top that extends to the right from the 'start' icon). When you tap, there should be a dropdown with two slider bars - one for device and one for phone. I found this quite by accident when googling the same volume issues (and refused to believe a volume control didn't exist - that's like getting a radio without a tuner - well...almost). Anyway, someone mentioned a toolbar, and low & behold! Too bad the manual doesn't make it that simple... "
I'm embarrassed to say you are right.

I use a program called "Magic Button". It makes the top bar look like the taskbar on the PC. You can switch between programs, go back to the desktop and so on. The one thing i didn't notice was IT HIDES that volume icon and that is the ONLY place it exists.
i think one word fits this - "DOH!"
But an interesting thing is i did find out though my registry hack that adjusting that number adjusts the base volume level. Example - if i set it to 5 and then turn the volume up full blast the ring is CRAZY LOUD. Could be helpful for some people who work around a lot of noise.

Thanks for the post!

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 8 2008, 2:21 AM EDT
At the top of the screen there is a speaker. Click on it. The left slider controls the system volume (notifications and such) and the right slider controls your ringer volume (except when in a call and then it controls the call volume).
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 31 2008, 11:40 AM EDT
"Note: i think if the number is set to "0" the sound will be off. That could be why some people say they can't get the ringer to play at all. "
Hey meboyo,
Thanks a ton mate: your comment solved a problem I'd been fighting with for the past 4 weeks!
Best,
Hans
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Site pages
Top Contributors