• A Wetpaint Wiki
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.

Keyword tags: None
Watch
Become a member of the htc community.
Already a member? Sign in

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

< previous page | 1
dragginNCrds

dragginNCrds
RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Dec 29 2007, 11:49 PM EST
"You'll need to subscribe to Suncom's Web Link if you aren't already a subscriber. I'd also suggest getting the national plan, because if you get the local offering, it's only unlimited when you're on their network. If you roam over to a 'partner' then you incur a 1cent per kilobyte charge. And with the HTC Dash you could probably quickly achieve some hefty data usage.

I don't believe you'll be able to use a Edge GPRS without a suncom weblink plan enabled on your account. Even if you don't sign up, if you have it configured through their system, they'll charge you 1cent/kilobyte .

- Tim
"
i have the same problem.. i did a hard reset and now i cant get online except through wifi.. i have the data plan i just dont know how to set the phone back up to do the internet.. and also..where it says what network your on.. it dosent say suncom anymore either it says some 6 digit number... suncom wont help with none of this either Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 1 2008, 6:13 PM EST
"Okay, I forgot to login with my last mesg above, but like I said, I successfully upgraded my Suncom HTC S621 Excalibur from Windows Mobile 5 to Windows Mobile 6. I followed the instructions provided at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=329605 . It requires downloading the files he provides, launching them from your computer with your phone tethered via it's Active Sync USB cable. I was nervous it would 'brick' the phone, but it worked! Now I have the benefits of Windows Mobile 6 and even Mobile Office 6. Of course, the normal disclaimer.... do this at your own risk. :-) - Tim"
Which unlocking method did you use....SDA or Surreal? And did you use hared or the JumpSPL? I am running into issues somewhere along the line here. Still getting vendor ID errors, even with the HTC US rom for WM6. Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 2 2008, 2:13 PM EST
"i have the same problem.. i did a hard reset and now i cant get online except through wifi.. i have the data plan i just dont know how to set the phone back up to do the internet.. and also..where it says what network your on.. it dosent say suncom anymore either it says some 6 digit number... suncom wont help with none of this either"
You just need to set up your GPRS settings. Go into Settings -- Connection -- GPRS

Menu - Add

name - Suncom

Connects to The Internet

Access Point - mobileinternet

That's it. No username, no pass, nothing.

Just make sure that big E is at the top of your phone, before surfing, to signify that you are on the correct network. Unless you are on wifi.

Hope that helps. I am still at a loss with the MMS settings. I have this great 621 phone and can't figure out how to send a msg with a picture.

And as for the numeric display vs. the Suncom name, that one is a mystery to me. I tried to actually remove the networks from my phone to refresh the list, to no avail.
Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
timandheike
timandheike
Jan 2 2008, 3:59 PM EST
I upgraded using the instructions and utilities provided on the XDA-Developer's site, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327757 . Be sure and follow the instructions completely.

There's also a link to another thread with the CID unlock utility. You'll need to follow the instructions for it as well, and download the associated programs. As mentioned on the site concerning the CID Unlock,

"The USPL does *not* permanently CID unlock your phone, like the CID unlocker from imei-check or so. After you flashed a ROM your phone is again CID locked. Each time you wonna flash a ROM with a different model and/or vendor ID (different from your phone) or a cooked ROM, you must run the USPL again and then flash the ROM."

Using the program I was able to flash from Suncom's Windows Mobile 5 to the Roger's Windows Mobile 6 (with Mobile Office). The only settings I had to correct were the GPRS settings for the Internet.

Remember that Suncom offers a pay as you go plan of 1cent/KB, a local unlimited plan for $5.00 I believe. (This requires that your phone be on the Suncom network ... otherwise you're roaming and incur the 1cent/KB. The National Plan of Weblink is offered $20.00 per month. This is better because if you live in a weak Suncom area like I do or if you travel outside of Suncom areas in the USA, you don't have to worry if you're on the Suncom network. Also for some reason, this plan gives you about all the functionality of a Blackberry without the cost. I believe their national cost for a Blackberry plan is $45.00, so this is quite a bargain. For Blackberry Push like email, you can sign up for a free account at http://mail2web.com which works fine with the weblink plan. Better yet, I signed up for Mail2Web's premium plan @ 5.00/month so that I could use my own existing email address, rather than have a mail2web email account address on my outgoing emails. - Tim

Anonymous
Jan 2 2008, 5:16 PM EST
"I upgraded using the instructions and utilities provided on the XDA-Developer's site, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327757 . Be sure and follow the instructions completely.

There's also a link to another thread with the CID unlock utility. You'll need to follow the instructions for it as well, and download the associated programs. As mentioned on the site concerning the CID Unlock,

"The USPL does *not* permanently CID unlock your phone, like the CID unlocker from imei-check or so. After you flashed a ROM your phone is again CID locked. Each time you wonna flash a ROM with a different model and/or vendor ID (different from your phone) or a cooked ROM, you must run the USPL again and then flash the ROM."

Using the program I was able to flash from Suncom's Windows Mobile 5 to the Roger's Windows Mobile 6 (with Mobile Office). The only settings I had to correct were the GPRS settings for the Internet.

Remember that Suncom offers a pay as you go plan of 1cent/KB, a local unlimited plan for $5.00 I believe. (This requires that your phone be on the Suncom network ... otherwise you're roaming and incur the 1cent/KB. The National Plan of Weblink is offered $20.00 per month. This is better because if you live in a weak Suncom area like I do or if you travel outside of Suncom areas in the USA, you don't have to worry if you're on the Suncom network. Also for some reason, this plan gives you about all the functionality of a Blackberry without the cost. I believe their national cost for a Blackberry plan is $45.00, so this is quite a bargain. For Blackberry Push like email, you can sign up for a free account at http://mail2web.com which works fine with the weblink plan. Better yet, I signed up for Mail2Web's premium plan @ 5.00/month so that I could use my own existing email address, rather than have a mail2web email account address on my outgoing emails. - Tim"
I swore I did. Did you use the haret or the jumpspl? And did you use the SDA or the Surreal to CID unlock? I was reading about the various issues people were having, and just didn't use the right combo or was overlooking something silly.

I guess the only thing I was unsure of was which rom would be the best to use, and by rom, that is just the .exe file that I'd get from the HTC site, correct? I grabbed the newest USA WM5 to WM6 .exe from the HTC site.

If I'm coming off like a tard, I might just be asking the question wrong.

Appreciate the timely response, this is driving me mad ;p

And one last thing, are you able to use MMS with your 621 and suncom? I'll be damned if I can sort that one out, using WM5.
timandheike
timandheike
Jan 2 2008, 6:09 PM EST
i used the Rogers ROM from Roger's website, not HTC's. I used the
Excalibur USPL- CID BYPASS- JumpSPL.zip: version based on pof's JumpSPL instead of haret .

I didn't use the SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab until later on (like weeks later) when I was trying to get the latest Google Maps Apps to use the cell triangulation. Otherwise, I didn't see the need since all my other apps seemed to install just fine.

I really don't use MMS messaging so I'm not sure if mine works or not. I have sent pic attachments, but via email.

- Tim
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 2 2008, 6:32 PM EST
"i used the Rogers ROM from Roger's website, not HTC's. I used the
Excalibur USPL- CID BYPASS- JumpSPL.zip: version based on pof's JumpSPL instead of haret .

I didn't use the SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab until later on (like weeks later) when I was trying to get the latest Google Maps Apps to use the cell triangulation. Otherwise, I didn't see the need since all my other apps seemed to install just fine.

I really don't use MMS messaging so I'm not sure if mine works or not. I have sent pic attachments, but via email.

- Tim"
You didn't have to use the SDA unlocker at all beforehand? Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 2 2008, 6:42 PM EST
Nm, I got it, as far as I can tell...must have been the rom I was using. Thanks for the prompt replies :) Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 2 2008, 8:34 PM EST
"You just need to set up your GPRS settings. Go into Settings -- Connection -- GPRS

Menu - Add

name - Suncom

Connects to The Internet

Access Point - mobileinternet

That's it. No username, no pass, nothing.

Just make sure that big E is at the top of your phone, before surfing, to signify that you are on the correct network. Unless you are on wifi.

Hope that helps. I am still at a loss with the MMS settings. I have this great 621 phone and can't figure out how to send a msg with a picture.

And as for the numeric display vs. the Suncom name, that one is a mystery to me. I tried to actually remove the networks from my phone to refresh the list, to no avail."
i did what you said and it said "ERROR:THe Current connefction cannot be used for your request please end the current connection and try again" i dont know what to do.. this is BS though.. im bout to take this peice back to suncom and tell them i wont a new phone Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
dragginNCrds

dragginNCrds
Jan 2 2008, 8:37 PM EST
"i did what you said and it said "ERROR:THe Current connefction cannot be used for your request please end the current connection and try again" i dont know what to do.. this is BS though.. im bout to take this peice back to suncom and tell them i wont a new phone"
that was me btw Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
dragginNCrds

dragginNCrds
Jan 2 2008, 9:07 PM EST
that and can anyone do a step by step on upgrading the SunCom WM6 for this phone.. i dont wont to screw my phone up Quote and Reply Post a Reply Do you find this valuable?    
timandheike
timandheike
Jan 2 2008, 9:43 PM EST
No, from what I understand there are 3 types of locks that can be on a phone, maybe more if you count a screen lock. Again, this only my understanding, so please excuse me if it's incorrect.

1.) Sim Lock - permitting only the intended SIM chip to work in that phone. Alot of phone companies like to do that, to ensure that you can't easily take your phone to another carrier. You can only use their provided SIM for their network. As a result, there are businesses that have cropped up where you can pay a 3rd party to hack the phone and break the SIM lock. I've never received a Suncom phone that was locked thus far. Not to say that there might not be Suncom retail spots that lock them, but in my experience I've never encountered one.

Usually on most phones that's it, the SIM lock. But as a result of now owning a Smartphone, I've found that other locks exist.

A CID lock to prevent you from flashing the phone to a new OS. That's where the CID bypass program helped me. I thought it was cool, although it made me nervous seeing the Linux utility launching on my HTC screen.

A software lock to prevent certain apps from being installed. It seems to me that this must be only for software that accesses the phone at a certain level because most programs had no issue being installed. I only encountered a problem after installing the latest Google Maps program that offers to triangulate your location based off cell towers when you don't have a GPS chip installed which the HTC S621 lacks. It didn't work then someone suggested running the SurrealNetworksAppUnlock.cab file. I did that, and voila, it worked.

I've heard of all kinds of different ROMS you could install, the XDA-Developer's site even offers some newer one that is supposed to be faster. But after hearing of various hurdles of upgrading, I consider myself lucky. So I'll probably stick with the ROM I have and not experiment too much.

Anonymous
Jan 3 2008, 1:18 AM EST
"that and can anyone do a step by step on upgrading the SunCom WM6 for this phone.. i dont wont to screw my phone up"
Following the advice of timandheike, I was successful in upgrading. This is what I posted on another site...detailing my issue.

Ok, solved my issue and this might help anyone else who has a Suncom HTC S621 and wants to upgrade from WM5 to WM6.

I went through the runaround for a while, running into errors and such. But I am now on WM6 and have wifi.

I used the info at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=329605 and did the following.

I used the SDA Unlocker (pretty straightforward file)
I used the Excalibur USPL- CID BYPASS- JumpSPL.zip (run the .bat file and follow directions within)
I used the Rogers WM5 to WM6 upgrade ROM (http://www.rogers.com/s621upgrade)

What was screwing me up was when the JumpSPL.exe is run (from within the .bat file), it starts up on the phone and pops up an application 'about' screen...you have to hit the middle button to clear it (on mine, the onscreen 'OK/Finish' button wasn't visible on the screen) to start the app (resulting in the white screen). If you dont have your display timeout setting set longer, you might not be realizing it's there.

Once I cleared that info box away, the screen went white (as described), activesynch disconnects by itself (as described) and I was able to run the update .exe from Rogers.

Funny how something so benign can cause you so much turmoil!
Quote and Reply Post a Reply 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 7 2008, 1:34 PM EST
EVERYBODY...once again i work for suncom......heres the way it has to be done!!!!
you have to go and unlock the htc 621 @ something like gsmliberty or anyother site. this will do a cid unlock and a sim unlock. then you can do the standard upgrade to WM6 ....this is the only way!!!!

Anonymous
Jan 7 2008, 1:37 PM EST
the cid bypass works sometimes but inturn messes up the wifi which is detailed in the threads in xda developers once again don't be cheap spend thirty dollars and unlock the sucker and upgrade it its much easier that way
timandheike
timandheike
Jan 7 2008, 4:28 PM EST
The CID bypass didn't cause any problems with my WIFI, it works perfectly when I upgraded to WM6. But if it is true that the gsmliberty method is less troublesome than perhaps it might be for some people.

But after I purchased a quite expensive smartphone plus essential accessories, $30.00 here and there quickly adds up. Also, I'm a geek who prides myself in figuring out how to do things in an unconventional manner. :-)

- Tim
< previous page | 1
Top Contributors