• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in  to Wetpaint

Discussion: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 36  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next

jhulsey
Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Sep 27 2007, 12:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2007, 12:18 PM EDT
I've gotten all the same problems that everyone else has with upgrading to WM6. I've not seen anything from the American HTC site as far as upgrades being available and when I recently checked the WM6 Update was pulled from the European site. I've spoken with Tech Support about 3 weeks ago and they stated it would be out real soon. I've contacted Suncom and they state that the phone vendor has to supply updates. Suncom is not even listed on the HTC america site as a supported company. Although I do see a take over bid from T-Mobile to buy out suncom that should be completed sometime early next year. I really don't want to wait that long for support... Has anyone tried some of the suggestions for getting WM6 installed for the 621 and did they actually work? Assuming my 621 which is locked is about the same as the Rogers GSM locked 621. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 1 2007, 8:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2007, 8:29 PM EDT
I am in the same situation. Any luck on getting a WM6 download for HTC 621? Do you find this valuable?    

justanotherjoe
2. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 2 2007, 10:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2007, 10:54 PM EDT
Check the Rogers website
https://www.shoprogers.com/web_auth/techsupport.asp?shopperID=T4QNPLLQHW639PS4Q76B4CCMX2UD3H29&type=

I installed with no problem.
Do you find this valuable?    

jhulsey
3. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 3 2007, 9:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2007, 9:16 AM EDT
"Check the Rogers website
https://www.shoprogers.com/web_auth/techsupport.asp?shopperID=T4QNPLLQHW639PS4Q76B4CCMX2UD3H29&type=

I installed with no problem.
"
Are you a current SunCom HTC 621 user that has used the update found on the Rogers Site? Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 3 2007, 11:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2007, 11:32 AM EDT
No I am a Roger's client that upgraded the HTC 621 Do you find this valuable?    

jhulsey
5. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 3 2007, 12:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2007, 12:30 PM EDT
Well when I replace my LCD this week I will try the Rogers update. Thanks for the file location. I had looked earlier this month and didn't see it there. I had also tried the download from HTC Europe with no luck as it was really for the 620. At this point it doesn't matter. I've about got a brick on my hands anyway. BTW. Be careful with the handling. My LCD screen broke with out it falling or me bumping into anything while it was on my belt in the pouch. You might want to find a hardened case. They are available out there. Do you find this valuable?    

jhulsey
6. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 12 2007, 12:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 12 2007, 12:41 AM EDT
I finally got my replacement LCD screen in. I've tried the rogers update but I get the same message as I did with the update from Europe. I saw some instructions recently on updating it and such going through a bunch of hoops.. I just wish Suncom would come out with an update or that HTC would that would work with my phone.

Posted Anonymously
7. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 12 2007, 11:21 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 12 2007, 11:21 AM EDT
No problem with the upgrade. Rogers provides the upgrade on their website. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Oct 13 2007, 11:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2007, 11:46 AM EDT
The Rogers Download didn't help me and the Download available at america.htc.com which is also the rogers web site doesn't help. My phone is acting flacky at this point with a somewhat corrupted install as I did a IBE backup and restore and the retstore was required after I did a hard reset. Do you find this valuable?    
timandheike
timandheike
9. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 14 2007, 7:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 14 2007, 7:39 AM EST
I'm wondering if any Suncom customer has successfully upgraded their 621 to WM6?

From reading the various discussions, it seems it's possible only if you pay $40 to have the CID unlocked and jump through other various hoops.

Is this the only option for Suncom customers?

Thank you, Tim

Posted Anonymously
10. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 17 2007, 2:30 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 2:30 PM EST
Hello tim and heike. I am a Suncom Wireless employee and I also have the HTC s621 (excalibur). Unfortunately, we will not be getting an update to WM6 until we become T-mobile in April. Believe me, I'm upset about it too lol. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
11. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 17 2007, 3:13 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 3:13 PM EST
Hi, I followed a method on another website that explained how to lift the CID lock temporarily to allow another ROM to be loaded. So I loaded the Rogers ROM WM6 ROM on it. I had to reconfigure my SUNCOM WAP settings, but it worked! However instead of the Suncom Splash screen, I get a ROGERS screen when I turn on my phone. :-) Do you find this valuable?    
timandheike
timandheike
12. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 17 2007, 3:52 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 3:52 PM EST
Okay, I forgot to login with my last mesg above, but like I said, I successfully upgraded my Suncom HTC S621 Excalibur from Windows Mobile 5 to Windows Mobile 6. I followed the instructions provided at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=329605 . It requires downloading the files he provides, launching them from your computer with your phone tethered via it's Active Sync USB cable. I was nervous it would 'brick' the phone, but it worked! Now I have the benefits of Windows Mobile 6 and even Mobile Office 6. Of course, the normal disclaimer.... do this at your own risk. :-) - Tim Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
13. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 19 2007, 1:10 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 19 2007, 1:10 PM EST
I've successfully installed WM6 with no issues. The Rogers ROM works well but you have to use a couple of apps you can find online to unlock. I've got them all if you need a copy. e-mail me with my e-mail address on www.jhulsey.com and I should be able to converse better with you. I don't watch this board as much as I would like to. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
14. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 19 2007, 1:12 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 19 2007, 1:12 PM EST
Yes... The Rogers spash screen is annoying. I'm actually looking for the Windows Mobile 5 Branding for Suncom so I can rebrand the phone but Suncom has been less than helpful on anything pertaining to the ROM. I originally had to do this because HTC had me do a hard reset to fix a problem and I lost all Suncom Branding. If anyone knows where I can get the Windows Mobile 5 ROM for suncom's 621 I would appreciate it. Do you find this valuable?    
timandheike
timandheike
15. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 19 2007, 2:36 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 19 2007, 2:36 PM EST
Is there a particular reason you want it rebranded back to Suncom? And why would you want to go back to WM5? There's really no negative aspect I see beyond the splash screen. But that's only when you turn on and off the phone. The Suncom splash screen I suppose is a bit more muted since it's just a white screen with their logo. But functionality wise, it's all the same, except you get Windows Mobile 6 and the Pocket Office as well. - Tim Do you find this valuable?    

wthevaos
16. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 19 2007, 4:13 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 19 2007, 4:13 PM EST
Hey i actually work for suncom...and the way i upgrade my htc was to simply do a standard unlock which you can do like at gsmliberty and then you can simply download the upgrade from xda developers website or anywere else and then do a simple upgrade Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
17. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Nov 27 2007, 10:48 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 27 2007, 10:48 PM EST
Ringtones on HTC excalibur ?????????? Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
18. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Dec 24 2007, 10:11 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 24 2007, 10:11 PM EST
i am a suncom htc s621 owner and i got the upgrade to wm6 through htc e club. my only issue is now i can't get on the internet without wifi. if anyone has any ideas without going through suncom holla back. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
19. RE: Wanting to Upgrade HTC branded 621 for SUNCOM network.
Dec 25 2007, 7:32 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2007, 7:32 PM EST
You'll need to subscribe to Suncom's Web Link if you aren't already a subscriber. I'd also suggest getting the national plan, because if you get the local offering, it's only unlimited when you're on their network. If you roam over to a 'partner' then you incur a 1cent per kilobyte charge. And with the HTC Dash you could probably quickly achieve some hefty data usage.

I don't believe you'll be able to use a Edge GPRS without a suncom weblink plan enabled on your account. Even if you don't sign up, if you have it configured through their system, they'll charge you 1cent/kilobyte .

- Tim
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next