• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in  to Wetpaint

Location: AT&T 8525 Display issues: Display is dim, blank, white, has lines, etc.

Discussion: Possible connection issues between screen slide and baseReported This is a featured thread

Showing 7 posts

Posted Anonymously
Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Sep 25 2007, 6:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 25 2007, 6:51 PM EDT
Issues -
White screen appears in the display. (Touch screen may work, top function keys will typically not work)
Screen appears to lock. (Touch screen does not work, top function keys do not work, but off/on button is operable)

Indications
Because the base is still working, and the unit is still appearing to operate, (Blue tooth will answer calls) I have reason to believe the issues is connection related between the base and the sliding unit. I'm pretty sure there was no extended unit testing with the first million lots coming from HTC under the wire to get them to the shelves.

Solution (albeit a bit weird)

First, try sliding the unit open and closed a few times. This will usually enable the system when the OS is locked up.
Second, turn off the unit with the "soft off" button on the side. Close it, then firmly (but with caution) cup your hand and slap it into that hand. Believe it or not, that has worked EVERY TIME with my white screen.

(That's what leads me to believe it is a connector issue)
20  out of 23 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Sep 30 2007, 5:43 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2007, 5:43 AM EDT
holly sh** i didnt think the last part would work. then i slapped the phone against my hand and the touch screen started to work again. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
2. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Oct 7 2007, 12:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 7 2007, 12:32 AM EDT
I found this out myself when it first started having problems. the phone more or less supports my life, so I wasn't so willing to just delete everything and send it in. I would slap the front of it with my palm, and it would start right up.
Recently it started taking more of a beating before it came back on from the whitescreen. I would hit it twice, then three times, then four or five times, and now it seems the display will only work when it feels like it. It seems I'll have to send it in; disappointing considering how useful this device is to me.
Do you find this valuable?    

rbarron
3. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Nov 11 2007, 1:43 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 11 2007, 1:43 AM EST
I'm having the same difficulty with my 8525 as well. Definitely looks like a connectivity issue between the two halves of the phone. Haven't tried slapping it yet, but have been tempted :) I AM getting tired of putting it in and out of standby until it feels like cooperating tho... Probably about time for a replacement, as a repair would probably cost as much as a new PPC. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Nov 25 2007, 4:06 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 4:06 AM EST
yeah I tried the trick on the 8525 which i got a month backbut it didn't work. The touchpad doesnot work but the buttons work fine.... Can you help me with this????? Do you find this valuable?    

sanssome
5. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Mar 19 2008, 12:10 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 19 2008, 12:10 AM EDT
In my case if I just turn off the unit (soft off) and slide the display open it starts working again. If I slide it back sometimes it will stay on for a while, other times it goes back to white.

There's a lot of posts on this problem is various net forums. Wonder what the real solution is, particularly that recommended by HTC. Taking it apart and reseating the cable (is it just loose?) As someone else said, I don't think they have enough value left to justify repair costs.
Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
6. RE: Possible connection issues between screen slide and base
Jul 12 2008, 8:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 12 2008, 8:35 PM EDT
My slide is just loose. Is there any way to tighten it up? Do you find this valuable?