• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Flight Mode?

Keyword tags: None
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

vt2k

vt2k
Flight Mode?
Sep 3 2007, 11:01 AM EDT
Recently I've been on two plane trips. Each time, I used the Comm Manager to turn off the phone, data connection, and direct push features so I'd be in compliance with FAA regulations. Well, after the 5 hr trip across the country by plane, the batter was pretty much drained.

Is there a way to ensure all your transmit / receive functions are turned off?

As you can imagine, getting of the plane and not being able to use the cell phone was quite ...annoying.

Thanks in advance!
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: Flight Mode?
Sep 21 2007, 11:09 AM EDT
Yes, there is. It's called "Hold down the power button until you turn it off" or "Take your battery out" :-)

Now, my question to you is; what in the world have you been doing with it while in flight? Of course, let me guess, you were bored and had to play with it as this "toy" is simply irresistible, right? ANY device will drain battery power if you are constantly having fun with it or having its screen be turned on. So, either buy yourself a spare and fully charged battery pack for it or simply forget it!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 17 2007, 1:47 PM EDT
doesnt matter this batterie only has a 4 hour run time talk or playing with it you have to purchase the extended batterie pack its like 120 and doesnt matter if your wifi is on and you search the the web it will kill your power real fast

Anonymous
Oct 19 2007, 2:44 PM EDT
yes... it will say FLIGHT MODE on the home screen where it would normally say your carrier name Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 19 2007, 3:03 PM EDT
i wasn't doing anything with the phone during the flight. It was sitting in my bag up in the overhead bin. At times, however, I might use it to listen to music and/or watch movies. Yes, the battery will drain doing those things, but it should not be down to 0% when it's stored up in the overhead bin and not being used, especially AFTER the comm manager was used to turn off all the transmit functions.

I was able to "solve" this problem by doing a hard reset on the phone (setting it back to the original factory default). Since doing that I've not had the same problem. I've flown a few times across the country and the batter was drained maybe 5 - 10% each time, a level which I would expect.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 22 2007, 1:18 PM EDT
I fly internationally once a month, and I see the same thing. Put it in flight mode, turn off the screen (but not completely off) and the battery is dead after five hours of otherwise no use. With the transmitters on -- and playing with it, surfing the web, etc -- I get more battery time from it. Very odd. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 22 2007, 5:07 PM EDT
Try doing the hard factory reset, but be aware that any data/pictures/files that you have stored on the internal memory card will be erased. Save them first to an SD Micro card or copy them all to a PC before trying it.

Since doing the hard reset, I've not run into this problem.

Anonymous
Nov 3 2007, 10:24 AM EDT
The problem actually comes from the Comm Manager itself. Immediately after you are done using Comm Manager, make sure that it is closed and unloaded from memory. For some reason which I can't recall, it uses up a lot of power (maybe maintaining the radios in a "ready to go" type state?) I had this problems as well when I came upon this solution a while back on some long-forgotten site and haven't had a problem since, but my issue is since resolved. I can leave the phone unplugged for 24 hours and it still has a charge, rather than drop 60% over a 9-10 hour day.

One trick is, in the Task Manager (Start -> Settings -> "System" tab -> Task Manager), go to the "Button" tab, and check the "Enable the 'X' button to end running programs" and then selecting your preferred option below it. Remember though, clicking the physical "Ok" button on the phone's face or keypad, though having the same visual effect, will not terminate the program the same way as clicking the "X" on the screen for this option to work.