• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: joystick will not work

Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
joystick will not work
Jun 28 2007, 10:27 AM EDT
my 2125 is useless as anything other than a phone. i can no longer read or add contacts (w/o using outlook & syncing) or move anywhere because the joystick appears to be the only way to get anywhere. there do not appear to be menu options to bypass this problem! i am hearbroken - i raved about this phone to everyone and now... this problem of course came about just after 1 yr warranty expired and cingular did not offer insurance option.. so sad! 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: joystick will not work
Jun 29 2007, 4:42 PM EDT
Yea - mine has severe trouble moving up and down - I have to puch it so hard my thumb gets sore, even then - sometime is won't work. I agree - without the joystick working - this phone is useless Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 20 2007, 7:53 PM EDT
same deal here. i love this phone and have gotten around using the joystick with most things but scrolling through e-mails and webpages still is a pain. i wish they wouldn't use a joystick and just use a simple navigation pad like on the cingular 3125. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Aug 29 2007, 3:22 AM EDT
This is due to dirt accumulating around the joystick over time. You can fix this by blowing onto the joystick really hard or using an airgun to blow the dust from the crevices around the joystick. Do this a few times, and you will be surprised that this fixes the problem! Also, you can use the Smartscroll freeware to use the keypad to suppliment the joystick for navigation. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Sep 19 2007, 10:42 PM EDT
You are not alone! UK owners please see here and enter details:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=1524143#post1524143
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 7 2007, 10:19 PM EDT
I've had the same issue with my phone. I'm on my 3rd handset. Fortunately they've been warranty repairs thus far, but now my warranty has expired. I hope my phone limps along for a few more weeks until I can find another phone I like. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 9 2008, 10:34 AM EST
Did you ever get this fixed. If not, I just cracked my screen and am looking for a non-functioning phone for parts.

[email protected]

Anonymous
Jan 9 2008, 10:34 AM EST
Did you ever get this fixed. If not, I just cracked my screen and am looking for a non-functioning phone for parts.

[email protected]
skovac123

skovac123
Jan 14 2008, 10:11 AM EST
Yep it is a dirt issue, I was about to toss my phone and then I got it working again and this is what I did. I blew out the area with a can of air, this didn't do the trick fully, I then started really jamming the joysick around using my thumbnail. I had problems going scrolling down I kept doing this and it started to work a little. I then shot more air into the phone and sure enough it started to work. Good luck to the rest of you! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 20 2008, 12:28 AM EDT
The joystick needs a floating lubricant for contact and it dries out over time. I used a wd-40 equilvalent for electronics called Corrosion X. You need a cocktail toothpick with a sharp point. You do not need much lubricant, just enough to wet the tip of your toothpick. Apply around the based of your joystick. Work the joystick and you will see improvements as the lubricant gets down into the contact socket. Lasts 6 to 12 months. Then redo again. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nineway keypad is your answer
Aug 31 2008, 7:09 PM EDT
Install Nineway keypad, Mine died and i installed it..everything is fine now.

http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=2133

- Arun

Anonymous
Aug 31 2008, 7:11 PM EDT
http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=2133 Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors