• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Battery Performance

Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Battery Performance
May 8 2007, 6:47 AM EDT
Has anyone else who has applied this update noticed poor battery life? Since adding the update, my phone will not run for 24hours without needing a charge? any ideas on what I can do? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
RobInThSouth

RobInThSouth
RE: Battery Performance
May 9 2007, 8:27 AM EDT
I've not noticed a difference in the battery operation, ALTHOUGH I am also running HTweakC 2.1b with the 'Improve Battery Performance' option enabled. Maybe you could install it and see if it helps. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 13 2007, 8:01 AM EDT
Hi, I have had my orange spv m3100 for two weeks. I updated from the orange website and my battery life went trough the floor......full charge at 8am then to 50% by 1pm then red indicator by 6pm!!!!! Would NOT recomend update. I had only made 3 short phonecalls in this period.
Other items in update were an orange coloured battery indicator on the main screen instead of grey, wi-fi option in connections manager (aswell as previous lan settings option) this allows visual choice of nrtwork to select, and finaly, speed dial configuration name listings are now in alphabetical order. Have tken my phone back to orang shop and now have a replacement which I will not be updating!!!!
good luck
Toby.
Do you find this valuable?    
riku45100
riku45100
May 29 2007, 10:51 PM EDT
Check your running programs and look what is running activesync is alway running thats what kill the battery in 24 hours. so always go to running programs a stop activesync and it will make the battery last longer, thats the hide prodlem in windows 5, you will find it no where on microsofts pages anything about the problem. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 20 2007, 12:20 PM EDT
I used to think it was just a problem with my SPV's battery life, as my work colleague has the same phone, and his battery seems quite good. Mine has always been a bit greedy on the battery, but since applying this update its far worse. I cannot go 24 hours without needing a charge. I charged my phone at 2:00 this morning, and it was fully charged when I left home at 7:30. Now, at 17:00, the battery is sitting at 60%. All I have done with it today is make two 30 second phonecalls, and send five text messages. I literally have not touched it for anything else. I don't have WiFi or Bluetooth enabled, or run anything fancy on the phone. I even have the screen brightness turned right down to minimum in order to conserve power. On busier days, where I maybe recieve about 6 or 7 short phonecalls, the battery can be down to 30% by lunchtime! Sometimes it has turned off completely by the time I leave the office at 18:00ish.
I'm having to leave chargers / cables at every location I go frequently, because you can guarentee the phone will need topped up if it has had any use whatsoever!
I even bought a car charger, but it keeps blowing the fuse of the cigarette lighter, presumably because the SPV is constantly sucking so much current from it!

This is my first experience of a proper Windows PDA phone, and I'm less than impressed. I'm considering going back to my old Nokia N70. It has most of the PDA functionality, it actually works, and whats more it has a battery life of 4 or 5 days, even in use. Might even ressurect my aincent Asus PDA. Its much slimmer than the SPV, and whats more it actually works without frequent lockups, loss of keyboard, software delays in answering phonecalls etc.

If anyone knows of a solution to this battery life issue, or a way to downgrade to the previous firmware, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Right now I suspect it won't be long before I throw this thing under a passing bus.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 29 2007, 4:39 AM EDT
"I used to think it was just a problem with my SPV's battery life, as my work colleague has the same phone, and his battery seems quite good. Mine has always been a bit greedy on the battery, but since applying this update its far worse. I cannot go 24 hours without needing a charge. I charged my phone at 2:00 this morning, and it was fully charged when I left home at 7:30. Now, at 17:00, the battery is sitting at 60%. All I have done with it today is make two 30 second phonecalls, and send five text messages. I literally have not touched it for anything else. I don't have WiFi or Bluetooth enabled, or run anything fancy on the phone. I even have the screen brightness turned right down to minimum in order to conserve power. On busier days, where I maybe recieve about 6 or 7 short phonecalls, the battery can be down to 30% by lunchtime! Sometimes it has turned off completely by the time I leave the office at 18:00ish.

I'm having to leave chargers / cables at every location I go frequently, because you can guarentee the phone will need topped up if it has had any use whatsoever!

I even bought a car charger, but it keeps blowing the fuse of the cigarette lighter, presumably because the SPV is constantly sucking so much current from it!

This is my first experience of a proper Windows PDA phone, and I'm less than impressed. I'm considering going back to my old Nokia N70. It has most of the PDA functionality, it actually works, and whats more it has a battery life of 4 or 5 days, even in use. Might even ressurect my aincent Asus PDA. Its much slimmer than the SPV, and whats more it actually works without frequent lockups, loss of keyboard, software delays in answering phonecalls etc.

If anyone knows of a solution to this battery life issue, or a way to downgrade to the previous firmware, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Right now I suspect it won't be long before I throw this thing under a passing bus.

"
Hi all, I posted three above (toby). I took my spv m3100 back to the orange shop after my battery problem (from rom update) and got a replacement m3100. I then charged it FULLY before doing the rom upgrade again....this was then absoutely fine and I am very pleased with the battery life, 4-5 days!!! instead of less than one! I think one issue with the rom update is that the battery needs to be charged to FULL capacity before the update. with my previous phone, I had only charged it to 50% as specified for the minimum on the read me section pre update. I have a hunch that this messed up battery calibration??? People with batt probs could try fully charging over night then try rom update again. good luck....great phone :-) Toby
Do you find this valuable?    
dimdamsel

dimdamsel
Jul 2 2007, 7:20 AM EDT
Why not get a long-life battery? You need the one which has a battery cover included as it changes the back of the phone so the regular cover doesn't work. I can now go a week without charging and if I am not using the phone much even longer. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 28 2007, 4:28 PM EDT
Hio Guys... ok what u need to do if you have battery problems is there can be 2 reasons... both stated above with Activesync being constantly or on alot of the time other needs to be FULLY charged when update... if you have the ActiveSync problem go to xda-developers website forums and then search for Activesync fake server or something like that =] that way it wont start on its own Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors