• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Problem with random rebooting

Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

j-bone

j-bone
Problem with random rebooting
Dec 13 2006, 7:57 PM EST
Every couple of days, I'll be walking along with my Star Trk in my pocket, and I'll hear it play the sound it plays when booting up. When I look at the screen, sure enough, it's booting up. I keep the phone in a pocket by itself, so it's not getting in a fight with my keys or anything, and it isn't prefaced by me bumping into anything or any other kind of shock to the phone. I never hear it shutting down, only booting up. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried about my phone just randomly rebooting whenever it feels like it? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bulldog

bulldog
RE: Problem with random rebooting
Dec 15 2006, 6:07 PM EST
I had that problem too. It was because the battery cover wasn't quite on right. Try fiddling with it until you see what triggers a reboot. That cover can be quite the menace! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 3 2007, 5:19 PM EST
I keep reading that its the battery cover. But I have fiddled with mine. Its on nice and tight. I still get random re-booting (ocassionally). I also sometimes have my phone turn off but the device is still powered on. Haven't found a satisfactory explanation yet Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Nov 26 2007, 5:41 PM EST
I Got the same problem. Had to get a new phone to fix it. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 14 2007, 11:27 PM EST
I had the same problem phoneabout 3 days shy of warranty. It threw craps. If you jiggled the battery cover just right you could get it to come on..Finally, had to get a new phone. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 9 2008, 10:07 PM EST
I as well have been experiencing this. It was getting worse and more frequent. I finally called Cingular and did a warranty exchange for a new phone. The new phone worked great for 3 months and jsut within the last two weeks it has began again. I have not damaged or bumped the phone and nothing else was in my pockets either. Do you find this valuable?    
killerbeans

killerbeans
Jan 12 2008, 11:33 AM EST
I don't know if you should really be worried about it. I know that when mine started doing that it killed the battery, but only for a little bit. Also, it seemed to heat up the phone a bit, but no permanent damage taken. One thing that I did was take a small piece of electrical tape and cover the switch that's under the battery cover. This is what's causing your phone to reboot. I put the tape on mine and haven't had a problem in almost 2 months. Good luck to ya! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
mattcoaz
mattcoaz
Feb 1 2008, 6:07 PM EST
My phone was doing that too, the back battery cover has two L shaped hooks that allow the cover to slide into the slots on the phone and hold the back battery cover in place. Mine broke and I was left with two really short tabs, which didn't hold onto the phone so well, especially when the phone was in my holster.
the cover was too easy to pop off and that would automatically shut down the phone. there is a little button off to the right of the SIM card that the back battery cover pushes down on to tell the phone I'm closed and you can turn on now. when you pop off the cover that button gets un-pressed and the phone automatically shuts off. If the button gets re-pressed again quickly, then the phone will automatically turn itself back on, and thats why you hear the power-on sound.
check that little black button to see if its damaged or loose, if its not soldered in place, it could be giving temporary contact and your phone is thinking the back cover is coming off, then back one etc.
The other thing that could cause this power cycling is if the batter is low, but thats easy to check.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 11 2008, 1:20 PM EST
Just wanted to say thanks. My phone was having this problem. I was about to go to the ATT store which I'm sure would have taken forever. I just folded up a little piece of paper, put it over the button, taped and down, and it seems to be working good as new.

Unfortunately, the first thing I tried was reinstalling the firmware, so now I have to configure everything else on my phone again.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 7 2008, 4:18 PM EST
I can also say that if you tape a little piece of paper over the switch it will solve the problem 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 11 2008, 9:32 AM EDT
If you have some electrical skills !!!! Its all about the swicth in the back. I got tired of my phone rebooting, memory loss so on and so on. My phone is out of warranty so I pulled the actual housing off (only if you know what your doing) and sodered the two contacts together and have had no problems ever since. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 30 2008, 11:52 AM EDT
Have the same problem. It's a little annoying when you go to answer the phone and it turns off as you flip it to open. Read the fixes here. Just tried the tape fix. Hopefully that will work. You would think HTC or ATT would issue new battery covers with a little more meat on the contact areas...yeah right who am I joking. :) 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Top Contributors