• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Tilt 2 Charging the BatteryReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 19 of 19  |  Show  posts at a time

Nancy1333
Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 27 2009, 2:43 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 27 2009, 2:43 PM EST
Anyone know of the fastest way to charge the battery for the Tilt 2 by AT&T (Touch Pro 2). I am charging it via USB with my computer and its been in all morning is still only at 50%! It has a wall charger but I tried that and it didn't seem any faster.

Yet when I used it last night, the battery surely ran out fast enough...

Any tips??? thanks
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 28 2009, 3:03 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 28 2009, 3:03 AM EST
"Anyone know of the fastest way to charge the battery for the Tilt 2 by AT&T (Touch Pro 2). I am charging it via USB with my computer and its been in all morning is still only at 50%! It has a wall charger but I tried that and it didn't seem any faster.

Yet when I used it last night, the battery surely ran out fast enough...

Any tips??? thanks"
The wall charger is much faster than the USB port. Most PCs, especially laptops have 5 volts available for charging thru the USB, but not much amperage. The HTC manual advises that you charge using the wall charger when possible. To gain best life from a new Li-ion battery, it should be charged fully, then discharged fully, twice when the battery is new. After that, keep the battery above 30% charge as much as possible, but go thru one deep cycle (where you run the battery down almost dead) and then fully charge it - about once per month. 7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
2. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 28 2009, 10:26 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 28 2009, 10:26 AM EST
"The wall charger is much faster than the USB port. Most PCs, especially laptops have 5 volts available for charging thru the USB, but not much amperage. The HTC manual advises that you charge using the wall charger when possible. To gain best life from a new Li-ion battery, it should be charged fully, then discharged fully, twice when the battery is new. After that, keep the battery above 30% charge as much as possible, but go thru one deep cycle (where you run the battery down almost dead) and then fully charge it - about once per month."
thanks, that makes sense; i am going to have to purchase a wall charger though because the phone came with a usb cord and a wall charger without the usb cord; i like to keep the usb attached to the pc for when i sync often; in order to use the wallcharger that came with it i have to unplug the usb from the pc and plug it into the wall charger; pretty cheap if you ask me; it didnt come with a full wall charger;

i am trying to access htc wiki from my phone; using opera; i am getting a msg saying ie 6.0 is not supported - use firefox or ie 8.0... did you ever get this msg before. which browser do you use to access this website?

i wanted to just click on this msg from my email on the phone and go right to this website via the link in the email. didnt work as easy as it should have....... trying to get it to work...

thks again for your assistance, :) most appreciated!!!
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
3. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 28 2009, 10:33 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 28 2009, 10:33 AM EST
"The wall charger is much faster than the USB port. Most PCs, especially laptops have 5 volts available for charging thru the USB, but not much amperage. The HTC manual advises that you charge using the wall charger when possible. To gain best life from a new Li-ion battery, it should be charged fully, then discharged fully, twice when the battery is new. After that, keep the battery above 30% charge as much as possible, but go thru one deep cycle (where you run the battery down almost dead) and then fully charge it - about once per month."
in addition, the website is just loading sooooooooooo slowly; 3G is showing... i dont get why it loads so slowly; nothing else is running.

i tried to turn on wifi because i'm at home; but that didnt load any faster.

do i need to turn something else off in order for wifi to work correctly - i seem to remember something about that - or only 1 type of browser worked with wifi...

i went to connections and turned wifi on; and still the page is loading sooooo slow...the wifi icon is showing at the top; could it be the phone?

i hear that blackberry's (not that i am getting one and the iphone) browsers open very quickly - i am getting so frustrated with these slow page loads........ ANY ADVISE WOULD BE SOOOOOOO HELPFUL!!!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

preachriley
4. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 12:44 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 12:44 AM EST
Nancy. I will pass something along to you that helped me when I had the same question about slow browsing. First for Wifi. If you haven't already go to settings, connections, wifi, advanced, power mode and switch to best performance. This will help a great deal.

Second: For me Opera doesn't seem to work hardly at all when I'm on wifi, which is all I use. Try using IE on the wifi after turning it up, and see if that helps. I imagine that with mw7 better browsing will come along.

I have another question on the battery charging. Someone told me that if you use a car charger it will cost you battery life. Is there truth to that? I try to keep my battery over 40%. I am on the road a lot, and it would be much better if I could use a car charger without costing me the battery in the end.
Then my question is, does it hurt the battery if you don't charge it completely? Say I start at 60%, and charge it to 80-90%.

Thanks, RIley
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
5. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 3:34 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 3:34 AM EST
"Nancy. I will pass something along to you that helped me when I had the same question about slow browsing. First for Wifi. If you haven't already go to settings, connections, wifi, advanced, power mode and switch to best performance. This will help a great deal.

Second: For me Opera doesn't seem to work hardly at all when I'm on wifi, which is all I use. Try using IE on the wifi after turning it up, and see if that helps. I imagine that with mw7 better browsing will come along.

I have another question on the battery charging. Someone told me that if you use a car charger it will cost you battery life. Is there truth to that? I try to keep my battery over 40%. I am on the road a lot, and it would be much better if I could use a car charger without costing me the battery in the end.
Then my question is, does it hurt the battery if you don't charge it completely? Say I start at 60%, and charge it to 80-90%.

Thanks, RIley"
I have heard varied reviews on Opera. I use it on my Fuze with WiFi and it works great. I use IE with WiFi on my Tilt with good results also. WiFi should "trump" 3G, but make sure you have 3G disconnected when you are using WiFi or it really slows things down.

There should be no difference whether you charge your battery with a car charger or the wall charger. Charging with WiFi from a USB port will take longer because most USB ports don't have much excess amperage to charge your battery.

Lithium ion batteries have no "memory", so going from 40% charge to 80% should make no difference to the long term battery life. The manufacturers recommend with a new battery, that you fully charge then fully discharge, then repeat that deep cycle one more time. After that normal top off charging is the best way - keep the battery above 30% as much as possible.

Deep cycle - let the battery go dead (5%) then charge fully about once per month.
6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
6. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 7:15 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 7:15 AM EST
"I have heard varied reviews on Opera. I use it on my Fuze with WiFi and it works great. I use IE with WiFi on my Tilt with good results also. WiFi should "trump" 3G, but make sure you have 3G disconnected when you are using WiFi or it really slows things down.

There should be no difference whether you charge your battery with a car charger or the wall charger. Charging with WiFi from a USB port will take longer because most USB ports don't have much excess amperage to charge your battery.

Lithium ion batteries have no "memory", so going from 40% charge to 80% should make no difference to the long term battery life. The manufacturers recommend with a new battery, that you fully charge then fully discharge, then repeat that deep cycle one more time. After that normal top off charging is the best way - keep the battery above 30% as much as possible.

Deep cycle - let the battery go dead (5%) then charge fully about once per month."
very helpful - thanks again!!! 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
7. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 7:19 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 7:19 AM EST
I used the wall charger and wala, charged up much faster than using the usb... thanks again for your help... I thought that was the case; problem was the wall charger that came with the Tilt 2 is very flimsly and its in 2 pieces; in order to sync to my pc, I have to take the usb cord off of the wall charger to connect to my pc with; soooo I need to spend some $ and buy a real wall charger that is in one piece so I can leave the usb connected to my laptop as I sync a lot; ....

any advise on best websites to go to so I can buy an additional wall charger and an extra battery? I do not want to get a battery that will not fit and have to buy a new back for the phone; so I want the original size;

thanks again for your great help and advise!!

Nancy1333
8. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 7:22 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 7:22 AM EST
"Nancy. I will pass something along to you that helped me when I had the same question about slow browsing. First for Wifi. If you haven't already go to settings, connections, wifi, advanced, power mode and switch to best performance. This will help a great deal.

Thanks, RIley"
Just wanted to note that yes, for some reason I experienced the same thing; using WIFI with Opera was exremely slow but when I switched to IE it worked fast and fine... I wonder if its a WinMo 6.5 issue???

Glad it wasn't just me cause I thought I was going crazy... I usually use OPERA and when the WIFI didn't work with it I went nuts trying to figure out when; then switched to IE and it flew... bizarre....... wonder if its a bug......????????
denco7
denco7
9. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 11:47 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 11:49 AM EST
"Just wanted to note that yes, for some reason I experienced the same thing; using WIFI with Opera was exremely slow but when I switched to IE it worked fast and fine... I wonder if its a WinMo 6.5 issue???

Glad it wasn't just me cause I thought I was going crazy... I usually use OPERA and when the WIFI didn't work with it I went nuts trying to figure out when; then switched to IE and it flew... bizarre....... wonder if its a bug......????????"
I use Opera Mobile 10 beta and it is every bit as fast as IE. Just keep in mind the different way that they both work. IE delivers the data and renders the page on the device, so it seems like the page is being accessed quicker. Opera renders the page on it's server and the delivers the rendered page as a packet to the device. So while it seems that Opera is taking more time to access a page, they both deliver a usable page in about the same time. Although I use Opera because I like the features better and I personally think that it is faster. 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
10. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Nov 29 2009, 1:45 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2009, 1:45 PM EST
"I use Opera Mobile 10 beta and it is every bit as fast as IE. Just keep in mind the different way that they both work. IE delivers the data and renders the page on the device, so it seems like the page is being accessed quicker. Opera renders the page on it's server and the delivers the rendered page as a packet to the device. So while it seems that Opera is taking more time to access a page, they both deliver a usable page in about the same time. Although I use Opera because I like the features better and I personally think that it is faster."
interesting...

thanks for that bit of information on the differences between Opera and IE and how they work in different ways... take care and thks

preachriley
11. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 1 2009, 2:02 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2009, 2:02 PM EST
Nancy, I just wanted to say I downloaded the Opera mobile 10 beta. It's seems to be working Much faster than the EI I was using. It's one of the many free apps so that's even better, and although the opera that comes with the phone wasn't working with the Wifi here much of the time, this one works great.

Riley

Nancy1333
12. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 1 2009, 3:36 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2009, 3:36 PM EST
"Nancy, I just wanted to say I downloaded the Opera mobile 10 beta. It's seems to be working Much faster than the EI I was using. It's one of the many free apps so that's even better, and although the opera that comes with the phone wasn't working with the Wifi here much of the time, this one works great.

Riley"
wow - that's great - thanks for that tip... I'll check it out now... maybe that was one of the bugs they fixed cause I couldn't get the WIFI to work well with Opera at all either or could have been an exclusive bug issue with the Tilt 2 also... either way I'll give the beta try = THANKS!! 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Nancy1333
13. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 1 2009, 3:38 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2009, 3:38 PM EST
"I use Opera Mobile 10 beta and it is every bit as fast as IE. Just keep in mind the different way that they both work. IE delivers the data and renders the page on the device, so it seems like the page is being accessed quicker. Opera renders the page on it's server and the delivers the rendered page as a packet to the device. So while it seems that Opera is taking more time to access a page, they both deliver a usable page in about the same time. Although I use Opera because I like the features better and I personally think that it is faster."
Denco7, again thanks for explaining that to me.... I am now noticing how they both work in such different ways... thks again!! Nancy 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

teradogbyte
14. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 4 2009, 2:11 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 4 2009, 2:11 PM EST
2 issues: Slow battery charge & slow browser

Most important: Have you been drinking?
"i am going to have to purchase a wall charger ... because the phone came with ...a wall charger ...; i like to keep the usb attached to the pc for when i sync often; in order to use the wallcharger that came with it i have to unplug the usb from the pc and plug it into the wall charger; pretty cheap if you ask me; it didnt come with a full wall charger;"

??? So, you already have a wall charger but you're too lazy to change the USB cord? I've got 10 extra usb cords lying around, why not buy a usb cord? And just what is a "full" wall charger? One that's had dinner?

Battery:
1. Use the d@m# A/C charger that came with it! (aka 'wall charger')
2. Set phone to power save mode by downloading one of the dozens of cab files from a dozen different sites that do this. Also, ANY USB computer port should be able to handle the charge unless your running 5 tasks all night & have the screen on the brightest possible setting all night long AND you only sleep for 2 hours each night.
3. Download any of the dozens of rapid charge cab files that allow your battery to rapid charge. (PPCGEEKS, XDA, etc..)
4. Buy a 1 amp car charger from best buy for $18. These PPC's can suck down almost 900 milli amps, and most big box stores "generic USB auto chargers" only supply 350-450 ma!
5. If you don't use the 'wall' charger (A/C) that came with it, & use one from another old USB phone/pda/mp3 player... make sure it's a 1 amp USB charger.

Opera 10, download & use it, check the box in settings that says "Opera Turbo".
If it's still not fast enough, download skyfire and that will surely solve your speed issues. Unless of course there are some significant other simplistic overlooked things.. like out of memory..

1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

preachriley
15. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 4 2009, 3:08 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 4 2009, 3:18 PM EST
Skyfire is the fastest browser I've tried, and I can access google docs on it, which is good for me. However, I don't like the quality of the pages as much. Maybe there is an adjustment I am missing, but the pages aren't as crisp as the other browsers.
For me the opera 10 on turbo is a good speed, and crisp pages. My question for Opera comes in this. I can't find an option that will let me watch videos, or listen to audio from the various web pages. I know in EI under settings there's allow pictures and videos. Is there something similar in opera? I should clarify that in Opera it will say something to the effect, "this video either contains too much Java, or you need the latest Adobe flash". However, the same video will play in the EI browser.

Riley

Nancy1333
16. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 4 2009, 5:33 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 4 2009, 5:33 PM EST
"Skyfire is the fastest browser I've tried, and I can access google docs on it, which is good for me. However, I don't like the quality of the pages as much. Maybe there is an adjustment I am missing, but the pages aren't as crisp as the other browsers.
For me the opera 10 on turbo is a good speed, and crisp pages. My question for Opera comes in this. I can't find an option that will let me watch videos, or listen to audio from the various web pages. I know in EI under settings there's allow pictures and videos. Is there something similar in opera? I should clarify that in Opera it will say something to the effect, "this video either contains too much Java, or you need the latest Adobe flash". However, the same video will play in the EI browser.

Riley"
HI Riley, I tend to agree with you. Skyfire is the fastest but the quality of the pages is extremely poor!! (unless there is a setting I am missing - the quality is really really bad)... So I am only using Skyfire when I need to go to a website that requires flash player as I have been told that skyfire is the only browser that support flash.

I'd love to learn more about it and if there is another browser that supports flash.

What do you mean by Opera "Turbo". I just downloaded Opera Beta 10 and I was about to try that as I heard good things about it. I can't answer this for sure and I could be wrong but I think I have been told that Opera does not support flash player.

Which browser do you use to say go to YouTube or watch videos?

Are you able to use flash player and watch movies with IE?

Maybe we can get some more feedback from some other users that have more experience on this issue.

Thanks,

preachriley
17. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 5 2009, 12:41 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 5 2009, 12:41 AM EST
HI nancy, it's true that I'm not experienced, and I still have a number of question about how these things work. I can tell this much from my limited exp.

Opera turbo is opera 10 Beta, or at least it's a settings option in the browser. You do have to go to settings to turn it on, much like performance for the WiFi.

At least for me Opera does not support flash. Unless there's a tweak

For youtube, and most other videos EI works for me. Go to settings and make sure "show pics, and videos" are on. For the sites EI don't work, or if I'm just checking one thing quickly I use skyfire such as right now.

One thing I would suggest is to try the trail of Spb tips and tricks. Although most things will not show up in the trail, there are still a few good things. I am trying to spend 5-10 mins a day going through the free ones to see what stands out. Until next time.

Riley
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
18. RE: Tilt 2 Charging the Battery
Dec 5 2009, 2:58 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 5 2009, 3:04 AM EST
"HI nancy, it's true that I'm not experienced, and I still have a number of question about how these things work. I can tell this much from my limited exp.

Opera turbo is opera 10 Beta, or at least it's a settings option in the browser. You do have to go to settings to turn it on, much like performance for the WiFi.

At least for me Opera does not support flash. Unless there's a tweak

For youtube, and most other videos EI works for me. Go to settings and make sure "show pics, and videos" are on. For the sites EI don't work, or if I'm just checking one thing quickly I use skyfire such as right now.

One thing I would suggest is to try the trail of Spb tips and tricks. Although most things will not show up in the trail, there are still a few good things. I am trying to spend 5-10 mins a day going through the free ones to see what stands out. Until next time.

Riley "
I use Spb Tips & Tricks and find it very useful. For tweaking the OS I use a program called Advanced Configuration 3.3. It is freeware and provides over 200 tweaks that you will find very useful. You have to load some Microsoft support software called Net Compact Framework 3.5 to make it work. I put up a page with all the download instructions. Check out:

http://htcwiki.com/page/Advanced+Configuration

It covers many of the revisions to the OS that Microsoft forgot, or didn't want users to have. I always backup my device to my storage card before I start tweaking, so if I screw up big, I can always hard reset and reload.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)