• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: CIngular 3125 headphone plug adapter: where is it?

Keyword tags: None
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 3 4 5 | Next > Last
Cisco

Cisco
CIngular 3125 headphone plug adapter: where is it?
Sep 18 2006, 4:17 PM EDT
I want to use my own headphones when listening to MP3's (think Bose noise-cancelling headset). Does somebody sell an adapter to convert to a US stanadard 3.5mm plug? Are these items usually made by HTC or 3rd party companies? 8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: CIngular 3125 headphone plug adapter: where is it?
Sep 21 2006, 2:42 PM EDT
Sure! Search for AD2P on www.newegg.com (I don't work there or own stock). There's a stereo receiver that you can plug headphones or speakers or... 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 7 2006, 8:54 PM EDT
"Sure! Search for AD2P on www.newegg.com (I don't work there or own stock). There's a stereo receiver that you can plug headphones or speakers or..."
Yeah, I just got this phone and what a dissappointment with regard to the lack of a standard stereo headset jack or (at a minimum) an adapter. I mean, not everyone has $150 to spend on AD2P Bluetooth stero headphones and not everyone wants to use the crappy headphones that the phone comes with, you know, the ones that wont stay in your damn ear. I mean, who's ear do these things fit anyways... Not only that, but I wear a helmet and like to use my cheap over the ear sony headphones and I just cannot do that with this phone. If there were an adapter, I would buy it.
At least when Motorola put out the SLVR with the usb port, they gave an adapter with it, although it was a pain the ass too because if you had a stereo headset / handsfree setup, it would play music to the headphones with the adapter, but you could not take a call on it?!
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 9 2006, 6:39 PM EDT
Any other ideas? Wes to newegg and couldn'y find it. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 23 2006, 4:13 PM EDT
Well- if you are a little handy, you can make your own. I agreed that I wanted to use my own stereo ear buds with standard mini jack, so I simply snipped off the hardwired earphones that came with the phone cable and installed (micro soldering skills required) a mini female connector in their place. Now I have my choice of headphones or I can plug the 3125 into my car stereo using the same cable. I am sure in just a few more weeks we will see the appropriate adpators on the market, but until then, I made my own.BTW it works bitchin'... 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Oct 23 2006, 6:22 PM EDT
what wires used? there should be left, right, mute, speaker etc. Which are just L & R outputs? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Oct 24 2006, 1:00 PM EDT
"what wires used? there should be left, right, mute, speaker etc. Which are just L & R outputs?"
If you crack the case for the volume pot, etc, you'll see the L and R (and mic, etc) are labeled on the circuit board. Do you find this valuable?    
Cisco

Cisco
Oct 25 2006, 9:39 AM EDT
"Well- if you are a little handy, you can make your own. I agreed that I wanted to use my own stereo ear buds with standard mini jack, so I simply snipped off the hardwired earphones that came with the phone cable and installed (micro soldering skills required) a mini female connector in their place. Now I have my choice of headphones or I can plug the 3125 into my car stereo using the same cable. I am sure in just a few more weeks we will see the appropriate adpators on the market, but until then, I made my own.BTW it works bitchin'..."
I performed the same soldering trick myself and it works great! The trick is you need to cut BELOW the volume plastic box, cloer to the headphones themselves. The link below gives a great tutorial if you want to do this yourself:
http://www.4winmobile.com/tutorial-replace-hermes-headset-connector-with-35mm-socket-vt3146.html
You'll need to buy a solder-type stereo in-line 1/8" phone jack connector (1/8" = 3.5mm). You can get it at Radio Shack for less than $5.00. part# 274-274 (it comes in a package of 2). Obviuosly, you'll need a soldering gun. I purchased a set of "helping hands" from Radio Shack, too that makes the soldering go much faster... Don't forget to slip the black screw-on plactic housing through the wires BEFORE you begin your soldering. If you mess up, you can always cut the plastic, and tape it back together with inconspicuous black electrical tape. Have fun!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 9 2006, 8:02 PM EST
No sh*t THANKS! 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 5 2007, 10:25 PM EST
"I performed the same soldering trick myself and it works great! The trick is you need to cut BELOW the volume plastic box, cloer to the headphones themselves. The link below gives a great tutorial if you want to do this yourself:
http://www.4winmobile.com/tutorial-replace-hermes-headset-connector-with-35mm-socket-vt3146.html
You'll need to buy a solder-type stereo in-line 1/8" phone jack connector (1/8" = 3.5mm). You can get it at Radio Shack for less than $5.00. part# 274-274 (it comes in a package of 2). Obviuosly, you'll need a soldering gun. I purchased a set of "helping hands" from Radio Shack, too that makes the soldering go much faster... Don't forget to slip the black screw-on plactic housing through the wires BEFORE you begin your soldering. If you mess up, you can always cut the plastic, and tape it back together with inconspicuous black electrical tape. Have fun!
"
thats the only thing keeping me from buying this phone and i dont think i can do the stuff shown on that website. can i buy one of these already done from someone? if so, email me at acezlh@yahoo dot com. thanks guys. Do you find this valuable?    
bmeek

bmeek
Jan 8 2007, 2:02 PM EST
It's been about 4 months past the original question posting - has anyone found a simple adpater from the proprietary 12-pin mini USB variant on the StrTrk to a standard female 3.5mm audio jack?

I'm reluctant to chop up and solder the stock headphones just yet...

I've found such a thing for the Hermes device - but that's apparently different. Why so many different plugs, HTC?

Anonymous
Jan 10 2007, 2:07 PM EST
http://www.htcphonestore.com/accessoryDetail.asp?itemMDL=QTEK_8500&itemName=Qtek%208500&accMDL=AUDIO_CONVRTR&sameAs=IMATE_SMARTFLIP
try here
bmeek

bmeek
Jan 10 2007, 3:36 PM EST
Thanks for the pointer. I'm afriad the OTG site sells this same "AUDIO_CONVRTR" SKU for the Qtek 8500 AND the TyTN/Hermes. But, my understanding is that these devices actually have different plugs. It describes the plug as an "11 pin" connector - but I think the SrtTrk has a 12-pin plug.

HTC - Am I wrong? Do the TyTN and StrTrk devices sport the same connector???

Thanks,
-- brian

alikaz

alikaz
Jan 16 2007, 5:36 PM EST
Hello, I made one of these connectors for my friend's Cingular 3125 "HTC Star Trek" phone. I used the stock headphones and a standard 3.5mm jack. The connector for this particular model is not HTC's standard 11pin connector, but rather a 12pin. I am willing to make and sell these adapters, and I am looking on getting a bulk deal parts to fabricate these adapters. Send me a message, or post your contact information here, if you are interested in purchasing an adapter. I am a registered ebay seller with 100% positive feedback. Thanks!

alikaz
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
alikaz

alikaz
Jan 16 2007, 6:25 PM EST
I was mistaken, the jack is a 14 pin, not 12. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 16 2007, 10:13 PM EST
I would be interested in buying 2-3 headphone adapters. I made one too but it is bulky. Where do I find you on ebay? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 17 2007, 12:09 AM EST
"I want to use my own headphones when listening to MP3's (think Bose noise-cancelling headset). Does somebody sell an adapter to convert to a US stanadard 3.5mm plug? Are these items usually made by HTC or 3rd party companies?"
Just unpacked the 3125 and am very disappointed with the stock headphones. Somebody will make a killing if they can market an adapter. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jan 17 2007, 2:57 PM EST
looks like i am going to have to order these parts from hong kong, i will post here as soon as I have some 3.5mm adapters made up. If you want me to email you when I have em, just message me your email address.

alikaz
alikaz

alikaz
Jan 17 2007, 3:00 PM EST
Yea, there's no way to message on here. I am watching this thread so just post your email and i'll reply.

alikaz
bmeek

bmeek
Jan 18 2007, 12:47 PM EST
I'm also monitoring this thread, and when you let us know about availability I'll cheerfully buy one or two from you.

As to your design - I urge you to use a 14-pin connector with the 90 degree angle (as on the stock headset you modified), and the slim variety of 3.5mm female connector (connected with 2-3 cm of strong cable).

Looking forward to placing the order. Thanks!

-- brian
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last