• Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: GPRS IssueReported This is a featured thread

Showing 4 posts

manoj.kaka
GPRS Issue
Oct 8 2009, 12:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 8 2009, 12:11 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I am from India.
I have brought HTC FUZE p4600 from US as it was a world phone.
But I have some problem with the GPRS connection from local player VODAFONE.
I have got message from VODAFONE to update settings. I have saved it. But still it is not working.

Please help me out...
Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Manoj.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: AT&T Fuze Raphael
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: GPRS Issue
Oct 10 2009, 7:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 10 2009, 7:48 PM EDT
"Hi guys,
I am from India.
I have brought HTC FUZE p4600 from US as it was a world phone.
But I have some problem with the GPRS connection from local player VODAFONE.
I have got message from VODAFONE to update settings. I have saved it. But still it is not working.

Please help me out...
Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Manoj."
Are you unable to connect to GPRS at any speed or can you connect at 2G (aka Edge) but not 3G? If it is only 3G that you are missing, your US phone is looking for 3G on the wrong frequencies. Europe, most of Asia (and I think India) use 900/2100 MHz for 3G. US uses 850/1900MHz. The lower speed GPRS and Edge use all four frequencies, but 3G (UMTS) only uses two of the four.

If you can't connect at all, post back and I will try to help you trouble shoot the problem.

manoj.kaka
2. RE: GPRS Issue
Oct 11 2009, 2:10 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 11 2009, 2:10 AM EDT
Hi Sgarrela,

On the windows title bar it was showing that it was trying to connect to Internet through 2G (EDGE) with a symbol 'E'. But after a few seconds it was poping up a message 'Unable to connect'.
We have not yet have the 3G network in india for vodafone.
I have used the configuration file of vodafone, but when I had a talk to customer care, they were saying that the config settings will not get into effect for windows mobile.
So I tried to do it manually. By taking the IP address from them. still I was facing the same problem.

Thanks,
Manoj.
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
3. RE: GPRS Issue
Oct 11 2009, 5:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 11 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
"Hi Sgarrela,

On the windows title bar it was showing that it was trying to connect to Internet through 2G (EDGE) with a symbol 'E'. But after a few seconds it was poping up a message 'Unable to connect'.
We have not yet have the 3G network in india for vodafone.
I have used the configuration file of vodafone, but when I had a talk to customer care, they were saying that the config settings will not get into effect for windows mobile.
So I tried to do it manually. By taking the IP address from them. still I was facing the same problem.

Thanks,
Manoj.
"
OK with the info you provided, we know it is not a frequency mismatch issue. There are two different types of GPRS authentication PAP and CHAP. The AT&T phone is probably set to CHAP since that works on AT&T in the U.S. You can check this by going to Start>Settings>Connection Tab>GPRS Settings and see which button is selected. Also check Start>Settings>Connection Tab>Connections>Advanced Tab>Select Networks and see what the settings are under "Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using" If they are set to Media Net or AT&T you can't connect to Vodafone because they are AT&T settings. Perhaps the Vodafone configuration will add a Vodafone connection to that screen, but that needs to be correct or it won't connect.

You should check with Vodafone to see if they use PAP or CHAP - or possibly some other type of authentication

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)