• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Storing and Dialing Vanity NumbersReported This is a featured thread

Showing 4 posts

sssobel
Storing and Dialing Vanity Numbers
Jul 26 2009, 2:50 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2009, 2:50 AM EDT
My friends and family are signing up for Google Voice accounts. Google Voice allows users to pick a phone number by words that make up the phone number (Vanity numbers). For example (234) ED-SMITH would be (234) 337-6484. I realize that I could type the number into my Contacts list once and forget about it. However, to help me remember what the number spells out, I would like to store the number as the alpha characters in the Contacts list. I can do that, but when I go to dial that number, the alphabetic characters do not dial and I get an error message from the operator. Is there a fix or a hack to allow dialing from the contacts list using alpha characters in the telephone fields? Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: Storing and Dialing Vanity Numbers
Jul 26 2009, 2:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2009, 2:54 PM EDT
Voice Command is probably the easiest way to do what you are asking about. When you store a contact you can store it with any name you want in the "file as:" field in contacts. If you store "ED SMITH" in "file as:" when you push the button you assign to Voice Command on your phone, or push the activate button on your Bluetooth headset, you simply say "call ED SMITH" and it will dial the number for you.

If you are just talking about dialing by contact name, go to Start>Contacts and a box will appear at the top of the screen, start typing ED SMITH and a selection box will appear with the matches to "ED SMITH" and you can select what you want.

I find Voice Command to be much easier and it's built into WM6.1
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

sssobel
2. RE: Storing and Dialing Vanity Numbers
Aug 2 2009, 3:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2009, 3:09 PM EDT
Not exactly what I was looking for. When I store a number in the telephone field of a contact using ALPHA characters, the phone will not translate those characters into the corresponding numbers and dial the phone appropriately. Do you find this valuable?    
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
3. RE: Storing and Dialing Vanity Numbers
Aug 2 2009, 4:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2009, 4:54 PM EDT
"Not exactly what I was looking for. When I store a number in the telephone field of a contact using ALPHA characters, the phone will not translate those characters into the corresponding numbers and dial the phone appropriately."
Don't store the ALPHA characters in the "telephone number" field - instead, store them in the "File As:" field. Then when you go to Start>Contacts and start typing in the ALPHA name of the contact it will pop up, you select it and push dial. As far as I know there is no way to set up alpha characters in the number field. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)