• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)This is a featured thread

mynameiskristopher
mynameiskristopher
touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 13 2009, 8:50 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 13 2009, 8:50 PM EDT
I recently just got a touch pro (w/ verizon) and have so far gotten used to everything on the phone but have only had 1 drawback! I am a programmer and at times need to RDC to a server or computer and have a small problem in which I can not use the underscore while in RDC!

This is a problem because there are many variables that the company I am employed uses many variables in which underscores are used. However the biggest problem is that on the htc touch pro... the only way I can figure out to key in the underscore is by pulling up the "symbols" screen to choose it. However that screen is not accessible once in the RDC client application on the touch pro.

I would love to reprogram either the star button (my button"), email button, or replace for instance the tilde which is FN+P. Almost any information of reprogramming the keyboard would be much appreciated.

If I find a way to do it I will post it... however I am 100% certain that if I can't find a solution I will be forced to return the touch pro for something else. Unfortunately though I will sorely miss touchflo 3d.
Do you find this valuable?    
piper18
piper18
1. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 14 2009, 11:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 14 2009, 11:03 PM EDT
So you can use the underscore normally but while using that program the underscore doesn't work?
mynameiskristopher
mynameiskristopher
2. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 15 2009, 2:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 15 2009, 2:32 AM EDT
Yes... that is correct. Because when the keyboard is open and you are in landscape mode, with remote desktop mobile, the on screen keyboard is no longer available. So normally in any other program you could use the "SYM" key to bring up the symbols and then select the underscore, however that is not possible since when the "SYM" key is pressed that symbols screen never shows up.

Nonetheless I have found a way around it... hehe... if I don't go into "Full Screen" mode... then the on-screen keyboard is available!

Only problem is now I am sad that I can't go to "full screen" mode and lose those extra 10 - 20 pixels. (I know that sounds whiney) but when a 1280x1024 resolution is scrunched into a pocketpc screen... every pixel is worth having!

Guess I'll have to find out now how to switch between full-screen and not... because once in full screen I can't figure out how to get back out!
piper18
piper18
3. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 15 2009, 10:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 15 2009, 10:18 AM EDT
Doesn't the slide out keyboard work when doing RDC? You have one with the Touch Pro and it has underscore.
mynameiskristopher
mynameiskristopher
4. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 16 2009, 12:50 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2009, 12:50 PM EDT
yeah my touch pro has a slide out (physical) keyboard. but there is no underscore... the only symbols I have are the following (by line of keys):

AAAHHHHH! I am sooo mad after doing a google search.

My keyboard does not look like this: http://www.multicellphone.com/images/HTC%20Touch%20Pro%20(Raphael)%20Keyboard%20gets%20reviewed.jpg

mine is like this: http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/pda/images/wm/HTC_Touch_Pro.jpg

and the other thing that makes me mad is that my letter "m" and letter "n" are separated so I am always hitting the up arrow! I want the other htc touch pro!

man... I sure hope this isn't just a "special" phone for verizon... because if it is... I am going to be writing a nasty letter to verizon
denco7
denco7
5. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 16 2009, 1:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2009, 1:39 PM EDT
Start writing , because you got a verizon XV 6850, the other is a HTC TP, and the AT$T Fuze has a different keyboard also.
piper18
piper18
6. RE: touch pro & underscore (reprogram a button!?)
Mar 16 2009, 1:39 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2009, 1:39 PM EDT
That sucks!!

Here is another idea, Ask the Verizon people if they would let you buy the Alltel TP and then active it on your account since Alltel is going to be merged with Verizon. You might have to buy the phone from ebay or someplace else.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)