• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Touch 3G and AT&T 3G in USAReported This is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts

Romenoff
Touch 3G and AT&T 3G in USA
Jan 28 2009, 9:17 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 28 2009, 9:17 AM EST
I have a Touch 3G, using AT&T (with 3G) in the USA and wondered why I could only get Edge. HTC's response is below!! Strange that an International Company, who's products are used by international travelers, calls thier product "3G", but only if you are NOT in the USA. Maybe they should call it something else!
Anyway for those of you are wondering the same, see below if any of the bright sparks on this site have a work around (apart from buy another phone), I would love to hear it:

Thank you for your inquiry about getting 3G service on your device.
We understand how important it is for you to have 3G service. You device has 900/950/1800/1900 MHZ bands for Edge service, however it only has 900/2100 MHz for 3G service. This is because you have a device that was not manufactured for use in North America. AT&T 3G service requires the 850 MHz for 3G service. This means that your device will not be able to access 3G service on the AT&T Network. HTC does not guarantee 3G service for any device not manufactured for use in North America. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

HTC Technical Support
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: 3G AT&T Touch 3G
denco7
denco7
1. RE: Touch 3G and AT&T 3G in USA
Jan 28 2009, 10:36 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 28 2009, 10:36 AM EST
There is no work around, it is a hardware limitation not software. Unfortunately 3G bands are regulated by the FCC and not AT$T or T-mobile or HTC.
International 3G bands are different then US bands and AT$T is different than T-mobile. Companies lease these frequncies from the FCC and they theirs alone to use.
When HTC makes a phone , they install a radio that picks up either International 3G bands or US 3G bands. If they design a phone for US 3G bands it is usually picked up by a US carrier, which is why you bought your phone from a 3rd party carrier and not AT$T.
No offense, but " caveat emptor " while I sympathize with your dilemma , when you buy an international unlocked phone, it is rather up to you and the distributor to make sure it works where you want it to work and not really up to HTC to put disclaimers all over the box.

Rule of thumb is , if it is not offered by a US carrier then look close because something won't work right.
Do you find this valuable?    

Romenoff
2. RE: Touch 3G and AT&T 3G in USA
Jan 28 2009, 11:12 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 28 2009, 11:12 AM EST
"There is no work around, it is a hardware limitation not software. Unfortunately 3G bands are regulated by the FCC and not AT$T or T-mobile or HTC.
International 3G bands are different then US bands and AT$T is different than T-mobile. Companies lease these frequncies from the FCC and they theirs alone to use.
When HTC makes a phone , they install a radio that picks up either International 3G bands or US 3G bands. If they design a phone for US 3G bands it is usually picked up by a US carrier, which is why you bought your phone from a 3rd party carrier and not AT$T.
No offense, but " caveat emptor " while I sympathize with your dilemma , when you buy an international unlocked phone, it is rather up to you and the distributor to make sure it works where you want it to work and not really up to HTC to put disclaimers all over the box.

Rule of thumb is , if it is not offered by a US carrier then look close because something won't work right."
Fair comments and great info. Thanks Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)