• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: backlight hotfix not working

Watch
stephenj

stephenj
backlight hotfix not working
Nov 19 2008, 8:23 PM EST
I have tried several times and from different computers to copy the backlight hotfix to my tilt and install it. It runs on the tilt and says it installed correctly but after the Tilt goes to sleep, the backlight time out is back to 10 seconds.
Any ideas as to how to get this hotfix to work on my tilt?
0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: backlight hotfix not working
Dec 3 2008, 3:54 PM EST
Mine doesn't work either. I assume that since no one replied, no one can help. Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
Dec 3 2008, 5:45 PM EST
"Mine doesn't work either. I assume that since no one replied, no one can help."
Did you contact HTC Tech Support?? I have heard that the patch works for some and not others. I have it installed on my Tilt and it is working for me.... Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 3 2008, 10:17 PM EST
My Hotfix was not working either. After many discussions with ATT then subsequently with HTC Tech support they told me the issue would be "escalated" . About two weeks later HTC called me for information about my units software build, firmware etc. At that time (now almost two weeks again) they HTC tech told me that there are still many people with the backlight issue and they were working on it and to keep checking their website for any developements. The first fix took them about a month, so maybe after another two weeks we'll see the new fix for the fix...I've got my candle lit! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
stephenj

stephenj
Dec 4 2008, 12:32 AM EST
thanks for the update! I was surprised that I didn't see anything more about it. I have recently submitted a ticket online but haven't heard back. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 17 2008, 2:44 PM EST
I'm on my 3rd AT&T Tilt because of this and other issues. From my experience with these feature rich-execution poor machines the backlight problem is at least 2-fold. The 1st; out of the box these Tilt's will blank the screen just after pushing the "Send" button to dial a call. The Hotfix sort-of addresses this by only dimming the screen just after "sending" and then blanking out the screen just a few seconds later. The Hotfix does absolutely nothing for the exasperating dimming that occurs consistantly just after waking from sleep and thereafter after touching the screen, scrolling the wheel, or doing whatever other motions necessary just to keep the screen alive and bright. You get 10 seconds or less of a screen that's readable no matter what second or minute setting you make in the "Setting/System/Backlight/Battery Power/Time (in sec or min). It will always revert by itself to the 10 second setting. You can watch the setting change itself! By the way, it takes nine, 9 steps from the "Today" screen to even attempt to change this setting! The setting doesn't "stick" so be ready for extreme frustration. What junk! Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
Dec 17 2008, 3:06 PM EST
"I'm on my 3rd AT&T Tilt because of this and other issues. From my experience with these feature rich-execution poor machines the backlight problem is at least 2-fold. The 1st; out of the box these Tilt's will blank the screen just after pushing the "Send" button to dial a call. The Hotfix sort-of addresses this by only dimming the screen just after "sending" and then blanking out the screen just a few seconds later. The Hotfix does absolutely nothing for the exasperating dimming that occurs consistantly just after waking from sleep and thereafter after touching the screen, scrolling the wheel, or doing whatever other motions necessary just to keep the screen alive and bright. You get 10 seconds or less of a screen that's readable no matter what second or minute setting you make in the "Setting/System/Backlight/Battery Power/Time (in sec or min). It will always revert by itself to the 10 second setting. You can watch the setting change itself! By the way, it takes nine, 9 steps from the "Today" screen to even attempt to change this setting! The setting doesn't "stick" so be ready for extreme frustration. What junk!"
The Backlight fix is working for some Tilt users....this means that it is going to have to be investigated to see what is different with the units that the fix is working for and those that are not. I wouldnt expect anything soon since this is likely a huge undertaking... Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Dec 17 2008, 4:05 PM EST
"The Backlight fix is working for some Tilt users....this means that it is going to have to be investigated to see what is different with the units that the fix is working for and those that are not. I wouldnt expect anything soon since this is likely a huge undertaking..."
I have to be included in the, hot fix works great ,camp. Kaiser tweaks took care of the screen dimming during a call problem as soon as I got my phone. After I upgraded to 6.1 the backlight hotfix took care of that dimming problem. The phone has been great , feature rich, powerful and of great use in runnnig my business

I always feel bad when people are having problems with there phones, which is why I try to help the best I can, but I always feel the need to step up , when in frustration , people blanket these phones with " what junk " . Yes they have their quirks and annoyances and need tweaking, but mine for one has worked great since I bought it and it was more than worth the money.
Do you find this valuable?    
gregwestman

gregwestman
Dec 18 2008, 10:04 AM EST
"I have tried several times and from different computers to copy the backlight hotfix to my tilt and install it. It runs on the tilt and says it installed correctly but after the Tilt goes to sleep, the backlight time out is back to 10 seconds.
Any ideas as to how to get this hotfix to work on my tilt?"
After installing the hotfix, adjust the setting, then perform a soft reset.
When I 1st installed the hotfix, it also did not stay, but reverted back to 10 sec.
The soft reset after changing the setting took care of it.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
stephenj

stephenj
Dec 18 2008, 1:12 PM EST
Yes, a soft reset appears to have fixed it! Thanks, gregwestman! I didn't realize there was a difference between a soft reset and just powering off and back on.
HTC support had told me to do a hard reset, I sure am glad I didn't ever get around to doing it! ;)

Anonymous
Dec 18 2008, 3:44 PM EST
Sorry, denco7, but anyone who would accept this poor percentage level of quality in a device that you decribe has "quirks and annoyances" but is not usable doesn't know quality. I don't know of anyone who would tolerate a Laptop screen dimming and blanking every 10 seconds with no method of correction "on some units". Perhaps you work for HTC or sell these units. From what I can see out there significant numbers of these units out there that have what you decribe as "quirks and annoyances", but are really unusable junk. "Quirks and annoyances" are ok for toys, not $500 devices. Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Dec 18 2008, 10:05 PM EST
"Sorry, denco7, but anyone who would accept this poor percentage level of quality in a device that you decribe has "quirks and annoyances" but is not usable doesn't know quality. I don't know of anyone who would tolerate a Laptop screen dimming and blanking every 10 seconds with no method of correction "on some units". Perhaps you work for HTC or sell these units. From what I can see out there significant numbers of these units out there that have what you decribe as "quirks and annoyances", but are really unusable junk. "Quirks and annoyances" are ok for toys, not $500 devices."
And Microsoft has issued how many "fixes" for XP and Vista ? At least hundreds. Apple has issued how many patches and fixes for the iPhone I counted five, until they upgraded the whole OS, now we are up to 2.2. What poor percentage of quality ? Because five people posted on a forum designed to solve problems, that a hot fix that works for hundreds ( thousands ? ) of others didn't work for them. Looking on these forums to assess the quality of a phone is like going to the hospital to assess the quality of the medical profession, " Gee sure are a lot of sick people here, the doctors in this country must suck. " Come to these boards, your going to find problems. The millions, yes millions, of people in the world using HTC phones with no problems at all don't drop by regularly to say atta boy.

And no I don't work for HTC, I own a construction company. I just have a great phone and don't mind helping people tweak their phones into a great phone. Again, it is annoying to me that the phone sleeps during a call, so I fixed it with Kaiser tweaks. This makes the phone unusable junk ? I will point you to countless posts complaining that everytime I answer a call, while I'm talking I accidently
press buttons with my ear, is there anyway to avoid this? Eh............sleep during call? The bottom line is HTC makes millions of phones a year for carriers through out the world, can you say Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 , They can't be convincing all those people to drink the Kool-aid.
stephenj

stephenj
RE: backlight hotfix not working - again
Dec 23 2008, 3:04 PM EST
"Yes, a soft reset appears to have fixed it! Thanks, gregwestman! I didn't realize there was a difference between a soft reset and just powering off and back on.
HTC support had told me to do a hard reset, I sure am glad I didn't ever get around to doing it! ;)"
Well, that was a short lived fix. At some point over the past few days the backlight started reverting back to 10 seconds all the time.
So, I did a hard reset and now it seems to be working without installing the backlight hotfix. Strange!
I will try to keep you updating in the ongoing saga...!

Anonymous
Dec 30 2008, 12:38 PM EST
I downloaded the HotFix and it automatically downloads as a WinZip. I changed the file ext to .cab and transferred it to My Documents on my phone. It shows up just like ATT Navigator but when I click on it ,the installation starts and then tells me that the installation is unsuccessful. There are eight files where should they be transferred to. Windows? Programs? Any help would be appreciated. Do you find this valuable?    
denco7
denco7
Dec 30 2008, 1:15 PM EST
"I downloaded the HotFix and it automatically downloads as a WinZip. I changed the file ext to .cab and transferred it to My Documents on my phone. It shows up just like ATT Navigator but when I click on it ,the installation starts and then tells me that the installation is unsuccessful. There are eight files where should they be transferred to. Windows? Programs? Any help would be appreciated."
Did you download it to your PC and then sync the the whole file unzipped to your phone ? And then unzip and install on your phone?

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=67&cat=1&dl_id=269

Anonymous
Dec 31 2008, 4:55 PM EST
"Yes, a soft reset appears to have fixed it! Thanks, gregwestman! I didn't realize there was a difference between a soft reset and just powering off and back on.
HTC support had told me to do a hard reset, I sure am glad I didn't ever get around to doing it! ;)"
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Do the backlight hotfix, change your settings to what you want (4 minutes for me) and then do a soft reset, (push the little hole button with the stick) and finally the Tilt remembers the setting you choose and will not dim after only 10 seconds. Great!

Anonymous
Jan 2 2009, 10:46 PM EST
"Yes! Yes! Yes!

Do the backlight hotfix, change your settings to what you want (4 minutes for me) and then do a soft reset, (push the little hole button with the stick) and finally the Tilt remembers the setting you choose and will not dim after only 10 seconds. Great!"
tried that...didn't work.....darn it.....it's making me crazy. Do you know how hard it is to play Bubble Breaker when the screen keeps going dim?!!!! :-) Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
hard reset
Saturday, 9:44 AM EST
"Well, that was a short lived fix. At some point over the past few days the backlight started reverting back to 10 seconds all the time.
So, I did a hard reset and now it seems to be working without installing the backlight hotfix. Strange!
I will try to keep you updating in the ongoing saga...!"
Mine is still working from the hard reset I did about a week and a half ago - I did NOT reinstall the hotfix after the hard reset. Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors