• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1This is a featured thread

2  | Next
TomFF

TomFF
AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Oct 2 2008, 5:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2008, 5:45 PM EDT
I just downloaded and updated my Tilt ROM from HTC to the lastest version which is Mobile 6.1. However, I noticed that in my contacts, I am now missing the option to do voice tags for voice command dialing (which I did have and could do with Mobile 6). Any suggestions?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Oct 2 2008, 6:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2008, 6:13 PM EDT
"I just downloaded and updated my Tilt ROM from HTC to the lastest version which is Mobile 6.1. However, I noticed that in my contacts, I am now missing the option to do voice tags for voice command dialing (which I did have and could do with Mobile 6). Any suggestions?"
This was replaced with MS Voice Command, you no longer have to recrod voice tags. First you need to go to Start>Settings>Buttons and then assign a button to Voice Command (I used the PTT button for it). Then all you have to do is press that button and say what you want to do.
You also have more configuration options under Start>Settings>Voice Command.
10  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Oct 12 2008, 9:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 12 2008, 9:58 AM EDT
No need for tags anymore. It's all set up. Just say "open" followed by a a program name, or "dial" followed by a contact name. Try it...it's great!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
shootr62

shootr62
3. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Oct 27 2008, 1:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 27 2008, 1:26 PM EDT
I installed the new OS ( Windows Mobile 6.1) on my tilt and the voice recognition just does not work for me. The only thing I can get to work is call home. Is there a trick? Should I speak softly or loudly? I am from Illinois and I do not have an accent. I miss the old voice tag system. It dialed the correct number everytime. I have tried with my Jawbone headset and just speaking into the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
4. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 6 2008, 2:32 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 2:32 AM EST
How does this affect voice dialing with a bluetooth device?

Anonymous
5. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 6 2008, 3:03 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 3:03 PM EST
Where did you guys get the update from? How old is your phone...?

Thanks
denco7
denco7
6. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 6 2008, 5:59 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 5:59 PM EST
"Where did you guys get the update from? How old is your phone...?

Thanks"
You can find it here

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloadList.aspx?p_id=67&cat=all

Remember to back up all your data, because it will erase your old rom and the contents of your phone. And always remove your storage card to avoid any corruption be fore updating
JOH_in_CA

JOH_in_CA
7. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 6 2008, 6:33 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 6:33 PM EST
I too miss the old voice tag system, as it created less ambiguity. The new system works for me, sometimes. I had to learn that, once I start Voice Command (which I mapped to the PTT key, as did browntannis in his post above describing how to map Voice Command to a key), I need to wait for a second or two until there is a beep, after which I can say "dial" followed by the full name I have in my Outlook file for the person. If I have more than one phone number stored for that person, the Voice Command system will ask me which one I want to use, e.g., work, home. I say the appropriate word, and the system dials for me. That's when it works. Other times it reverts to asking me "Home 242. Right?", and at that point I'm back to manual entry.
"
Dsireme
Dsireme
8. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 7 2008, 10:40 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 7 2008, 10:40 AM EST
I am SO glad I saw this. I was going nuts the other day trying to find my voice tag. I just tried it and it got it wrong the first time but got it right the second time. I used my bluetooth headset for it.

I think I like the voice tag better but I will have to try it out a little more.
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
9. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 8 2008, 6:39 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2008, 6:39 PM EST
The new WM6.1 for Tilt abandoned the Voice Tag system, and substituted the Microsoft Voice Command program. It is true voice recognition software that doesn't require pre-recording a voice tag for each contact. It works well most of the time. I found I had to change a few similar sounding names that my contacts were filed under to get Voice Command to differentiate between them. Unlike Voice Tag, Voice Command also allows you to voice dial phone numbers that aren't in your contact list. this is much less frustrating than trying to dial 10 digit phone numbers on the touch screen while driving. You can push the button on you blue tooth headset and say "DIAL 800-555-1212" and not have to touch the phone. It takes a little getting used to, but it works better. You can access every contact in your contact list, not just the ones you have recorded a voice tag for.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
10. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 8 2008, 6:55 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2008, 6:55 PM EST
I started using Voice Command when it first came out for the Tilt. It was an add on to WM-6.0. I found a big plus was to make sure that the Microphone - Automatic Gain Control (AGC) was enabled. Start>Settings>SystemTab>Microphone AGC>Enable.

With that enabled, you can speak normally and it "understands" you pretty well. I find that my Voice Command compatibility with my Bluetooth (Motorola H-700) is far superior to the microphone in the Tilt. As with any voice recognition software the more normally you speak and the less background noise there is ... the better it works. When you get frustrated and speak louder or with separation between words or sounds - voice command "understands" less not more. Because your Jawbone has noise cancellation, it might "clip" the beginning of your voice commands. Try turning off the noise cancellation function when you give voice commands and see if that helps too.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
11. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 9 2008, 8:42 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 8:42 AM EST
"I started using Voice Command when it first came out for the Tilt. It was an add on to WM-6.0. I found a big plus was to make sure that the Microphone - Automatic Gain Control (AGC) was enabled. Start>Settings>SystemTab>Microphone AGC>Enable.

With that enabled, you can speak normally and it "understands" you pretty well. I find that my Voice Command compatibility with my Bluetooth (Motorola H-700) is far superior to the microphone in the Tilt. As with any voice recognition software the more normally you speak and the less background noise there is ... the better it works. When you get frustrated and speak louder or with separation between words or sounds - voice command "understands" less not more. Because your Jawbone has noise cancellation, it might "clip" the beginning of your voice commands. Try turning off the noise cancellation function when you give voice commands and see if that helps too."
need todownload proper flash i.e. core media player for tilt att mobile. Help please
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
12. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 9 2008, 2:28 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 2:28 PM EST
You should check out the MS demo and video about Voice Command located at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/about-voice-command.mspx
Both the demo and video are very informative. Voice Command is very powerful, it just takes a little getting used to after using Voice Tag. I had both working on my WM6.0 system (with different actuator keys) and ended up using Voice Command constantly once I got used to it.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sgarrela

Sgarrela
13. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 9 2008, 3:31 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 3:31 PM EST
One more trick I forgot to mention with Voice Command - if you want to use it like Voice Tag - edit the contacts you would normally use with Voice Tag and add a "Nickname" . Use the "All Fields" Tab> in the "Select From" drop down menu select "Name Fields", > in the "Nickname" area add the one word or 2 word name you would use with Voice Tag. You can even use a phoenetic spelling. I have a contact with the first name of "Jesus". Since Voice Command understands the English pronunciation not the Spanish pronunciation, I added a nickname of "Hay Zoose". I can activate Voice Command and say "Call Hay Zoose" and it works great.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
14. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 & Voice Command
Nov 24 2008, 3:01 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2008, 3:01 PM EST
I've been playing with Voice Command for a couple of days now on the Tilt, which I recently upgraded to WM 6.1. I have to agree with those other folks who are finding the loss of Voice Tags a net decrease in usefulness. Voice Command has the most _creative_ interpretations of some of the names I say. I'll probably mess with this ... thing ... another day or so, but I don't see using it full-time. At the moment, it seems more useless than use-ful. Sorry, Microsoft...
shootr62

shootr62
15. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1
Nov 27 2008, 1:35 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 27 2008, 1:35 PM EST
The video and demo were extremely helpful at the microsoft url you posted along with the other suggestions. Thanks! You really know this stuff well.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
16. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 & Voice Command
Dec 16 2008, 2:32 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 16 2008, 2:32 PM EST
I absolutely agree that MS Voice Command is a net loss of functionality. I have about a half dozen contacts that I call quite frequently. Under WM6.0, I just set up Voice Tags for them. I could press and hold the Talk button on my bluetooth headset and speak the appropriate Tag, and the call would get made. Now, with Voice Command, I have to do what amounts to arguing with my phone when it misinterprets a name. As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal-breaker. For the time being, Voice Command is not turned on; just far too much trouble. From my personal perspective, WM6.1 is not a worthy upgrade; I'm almost to the point of wanting to go back to WM6.0, if it weren't so darn much trouble. Oh, and for anyone who is thinking of trying it, the "nicknames" suggestion above didn't work for me either; I'm not sure if it was something I missed doing, but trying it provoked another "argument" with my phone. That's not a good way to maintain and enhance a relationship...
Dsireme
Dsireme
17. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 & Voice Command
Dec 16 2008, 4:47 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 16 2008, 4:47 PM EST
I agree with the arguing on your phone. That drives me crazy. Then half the time it isn't even working and I have to reboot the whole phone. I am just really starting to get feed up with Mobile 6.1 period.

Anonymous
18. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 & Voice Command
Dec 16 2008, 9:46 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 16 2008, 9:46 PM EST
Well I'm glad I was having some other problems and then stumbled across this jem of a thread... Voice Command is working just fine for me... Thanks for posting those tips.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
19. RE: AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1 & Voice Command
Dec 17 2008, 2:56 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 17 2008, 2:56 PM EST
I've done everything suggested but I cannot get this to work at all. Is there anyway to go back to the tags in contacts? I have the remnants of an English accent and voice recognition doesn't understand anything I say. It's not just the occasional command - anything I've tried is either not recognized or comes back sounding like japanese!
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)