• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: WIFIThis is a featured thread

batmanbpt

batmanbpt
WIFI
Sep 16 2008, 1:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 16 2008, 1:05 PM EDT
i just go this htc yesterday and tried everything to connect to my home wifi but it still say unavailable. i put in the network key but i'm still not sure what's needed. Does certificate have to do anything with connection?
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: WIFI
Sep 18 2008, 9:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 18 2008, 9:51 PM EDT
"i just go this htc yesterday and tried everything to connect to my home wifi but it still say unavailable. i put in the network key but i'm still not sure what's needed. Does certificate have to do anything with connection?"
We need to know what device you have first.
Also, you would be the one to answer the question about your network and if a certificate is needed.
For my home connection, I have it locked down with a WEP Key. In addition to that, I needed to set the Index on my device in my WiFi settings to Index 3.
We need a bit more info to try to help.
Do you find this valuable?    
ntyoung

ntyoung
2. RE: WIFI
Sep 18 2008, 11:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 18 2008, 11:13 PM EDT
I've been fighting this same problem with my HTC S621. I cannot, for the life of me, get it to connect to my home WiFi, although every other wireless device in my home (PC, Wii, 2 PS3's, laptop) have no problems. But, if I go to work (I'm a network admin, by the way), I can connect to the WiFi there (given I enter all the WEP/SSID information). At home, I use a Belkin N Wireless Router (my Linksys WRT54GS WAN port died, so had to buy another router) with 128-bit WEP and broadcasted SSID. If starting fresh (no WiFi entries in phone), I can see my SSID (and 2 or 3 neighbor's SSIDs). When I select "connect" and enter all the WEP information, it immediately turns off WiFi and says "unavailable". From that point forward, no matter what I do, it will not allow me to try to re-connect (red X over SSID listing). I have to delete the entry, reboot the phone, then it will find my SSID again (but back to square one when trying to connect). This should not be rocket science, as every other WiFi device in my home has no problems. Plus, I looked for the Index setting, but my router does not have that option. This if very frustrating. I basically bought this phone for the WiFi. Thanks, in advance, for any advice that can be offered.
ntyoung

ntyoung
3. RE: WIFI
Sep 22 2008, 2:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 22 2008, 2:54 AM EDT
Just so happened, my Belkin router died this weekend. I went and bought a new Linksys WRT54GS. During the setup process, I decided to try to connect my HTC to it...low and behold, it connected. Now, here is the trick: I kept the security on the router as "Open"...no WEP, etc. Next, I set security on the router and, guess what...cannot connect with HTC. Looks like these HTCs do not like when security is set on a wireless router, which defeats the point of having all of the security setting option on the HTC. So, now that I have my wireless network secure again, I can no longer use my HTC. Really aggrivating!!!

Anonymous
4. RE: WIFI
Sep 22 2008, 9:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 22 2008, 9:34 PM EDT
I'm using a 2wire wireless router from at&t and have a network key set in the router and I can connect without a hitch on my alltel 6800 phone