• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: re Telus GPS

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
re Telus GPS
Sep 7 2008, 9:27 PM EDT
your phone should have Telus Navigator on it, which is only $10 a month, and to add, since you just bought the phone as I did, you get a free 30 day trial as well!!! hope this helps!!! 2  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: re Telus GPS
Sep 7 2008, 9:29 PM EDT
BTW the telus variant of the diamond, doesnt have quick GPS on it, and from what I was told it isnt a actual navigator, I was told that from the HTC tech department... I bought mine this past thursday, and had the same issue, and have now used the telus navigator, and it works very very well!!! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 10 2008, 3:44 PM EDT
The guy above must work for Telus.

Why pay something when it should be free. GPS is free once you have the software.

Stupid Telus taking off programs to screw the customer.

I

Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 11 2008, 4:00 PM EDT
Hi. I have telus here in B.C. This is what you need to do:

1. install google maps. Go to http://m.google.com/ using MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER NOT OPERA (opera won't let you download the file properly)
there should be a link there to download google maps

2 Install the application, launch it. Bottom right of app, click on menu
Select 'use GPS'

3. You must be outside, have a good view of the sky etc, and it will take 1-5 minutes to get a good fix on satalities (no idea why it is sooooo slow).

After it has satalities dectected (will tell you how many in top left corner) the blue dot is your location. Go to menu, choose 'my location' and the map will now center on where you are.

hope that helps

iddoc_26 at hotmail.com

Anonymous
Sep 17 2008, 11:00 AM EDT
It is soooo slow because Telus has removed the registry entries for aGPS (assisted GPS) which (unlike QuickGPS) will triangulate between your GPS receiver and the birds (satellites). By this I mean it will send your phone the satellite information rather than have it download it from the satellites itself (which takes time for a cold fix).

More info on aGPS here
http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_agps_a_quick_tutorial.html

Here is the cab that will automatically enable aGPS for your Telus HTC diamond.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36639

Dont worry about the second step for gpsOne. I didnt do it and my GPS now fixes from 4 minutes on a cold start to under 10 seconds with an instantly full signal every time. Not only that... but my GPS now works indoors.

Uninstall QuickGPS and stop worrying about it... and if this doesnt fix your gps problem just get an OTC replacement. No big deal. You will get one that works. Just make sure you always use this tweak.

Cheers.
Mario
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Sep 18 2008, 11:23 AM EDT
I tried that and it couldn't find me - I will try again outside tho. I really hope it works!

[email protected]

Anonymous
Sep 18 2008, 11:24 AM EDT
Mario - will that work on a Touch? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 18 2008, 11:55 PM EDT
"It is soooo slow because Telus has removed the registry entries for aGPS (assisted GPS) which (unlike QuickGPS) will triangulate between your GPS receiver and the birds (satellites). By this I mean it will send your phone the satellite information rather than have it download it from the satellites itself (which takes time for a cold fix).

More info on aGPS here
http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_agps_a_quick_tutorial.html

Here is the cab that will automatically enable aGPS for your Telus HTC diamond.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36639

Dont worry about the second step for gpsOne. I didnt do it and my GPS now fixes from 4 minutes on a cold start to under 10 seconds with an instantly full signal every time. Not only that... but my GPS now works indoors.

Uninstall QuickGPS and stop worrying about it... and if this doesnt fix your gps problem just get an OTC replacement. No big deal. You will get one that works. Just make sure you always use this tweak.

Cheers.
Mario"
I just tried this and it worked! thanx!
Any other tricks u can help on Mario?
I've noticed im having problem with my emails.. take long to arrive, or dont arrive unless i disconnect/reconnect the telus mobile email feature.

Anonymous
Oct 2 2008, 1:58 AM EDT
How and where do you put the GPS cab file on the device? I can download the file but need to know where to put it Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: re Telus GPS (BC)
Dec 10 2008, 10:49 PM EST
I just spoke to Telus tech support today about this, and apparently this feature is "coming soon", it doesn't actually work yet. So that's why you can't get it to work! Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors