• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: How to use GPS

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
How to use GPS
Jul 10 2008, 7:00 PM EDT
I bought a Sprint Mogul last Monday and I still don't know to use or find GPS. Can anyone help me? I called technical support and the said I have to pay extra for the navigation system. Is this true? Sprint store is telling me that is included so I don't know anymore. Can some help step by step and also let me know is I need to download an additional software. Thanks a BUNCH!!!! 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
RE: How to use GPS
Jul 10 2008, 9:31 PM EDT
"I bought a Sprint Mogul last Monday and I still don't know to use or find GPS. Can anyone help me? I called technical support and the said I have to pay extra for the navigation system. Is this true? Sprint store is telling me that is included so I don't know anymore. Can some help step by step and also let me know is I need to download an additional software. Thanks a BUNCH!!!!"
As far as I know, you can't find it because the Sprint Mogul doe not have GPS. Do you find this valuable?    
thorn_kd

thorn_kd
Jul 11 2008, 11:26 AM EDT
download the new firmware for the phone from the htc website not sprint that will turn on the gps part of the chip, download google maps and you have free gps there are others also, you could install tom tom software on it also but you will need a 4 gig chip to use it. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jul 12 2008, 8:33 AM EDT
"As far as I know, you can't find it because the Sprint Mogul doe not have GPS."
The Mogul does have GPS. I did a video review on the GPS receiver for pocketnow.com here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OOFDBIwlQ

Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jul 12 2008, 8:36 AM EDT
"I bought a Sprint Mogul last Monday and I still don't know to use or find GPS. Can anyone help me? I called technical support and the said I have to pay extra for the navigation system. Is this true? Sprint store is telling me that is included so I don't know anymore. Can some help step by step and also let me know is I need to download an additional software. Thanks a BUNCH!!!!"
You do have GPS on your Mogul, especially if you just purchased it new. You have to purchase a GPS application like TomTom 6 or iGuidance 4, both of which can be found on www.buygpsnow.com. It's better than the Sprint Telenav service because it will depend on you having a data plan and service to work. With an application like TomTom, it resides on your device and does not require a data connection. Also TomTom can be had for $100 and you can use it for years. With the Sprint service, it's $10 a month for unlimited use, or $120 a year.

A couple other things, I would recommend at least a 4GB MicrSD card if you use these solutions. The Maps can get pretty large. I have the whole United States on my AT&T Tilt with an 8GB memory card and it takes up about 2 GB. Also, the settings for the GPS are COM4 at a baud rate of 4800.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
scottpj
scottpj
Jul 15 2008, 9:21 PM EDT
Attached to the bottom of the Home page at http://htcwiki.com
There are two attachments available for download which will enable the GPS to work on a Mogul. It may work for other HTC phones, but it will require Window Mobile 6 to be installed.
The MyGPS.CAB is an auto install which will need to be copied to the phone. Once copied, use the file explorer to activate the install.
Once it is install, it will have a menu popup on the lower right hand side.
Pressing the "Start GPS" on the menu will cause you to see the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
QualComm GpsOne Card: version 0.0
SeviceState: On
DeviceState: On
Once the Sats are found, the display will add additional lines:
This will take about a minute.
Flags: 3FF5F
Latitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Longitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Above Sea Level: XXX.XXXXXXXX
Satellite Count: X/XX (X)
Heading: XXX.X: AA:
Speed: XX.X => will show 0 at rest
Time: MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS AM/PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Note: A "X" is number digit and a "A" is ASCII character
I hope to add storage of current location to the Storage card either automatically using a fixed time period of a user’s choice or to add a press of a button to force the save feature. Could be used for a rough site layout capture, travel path capture, Truck logging (speed and direction are present).
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 15 2008, 9:32 PM EDT
Don't quite know what more to say here. If you bought the Mogul last week, it should come w/ the latest firmware Rev A., which will enable GPS receiver. Like everyone states, don't use TeleNav as it is pretty lame and you get charged. Use google maps (unfortunately mylocation doesn't work w/ WM6) or another 3rd party GPS application. I personally use Pharos Ostia. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 18 2008, 4:42 PM EDT
"download the new firmware for the phone from the htc website not sprint that will turn on the gps part of the chip, download google maps and you have free gps there are others also, you could install tom tom software on it also but you will need a 4 gig chip to use it."
I went to the htc website and could not locate a place to download this. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 19 2008, 1:40 AM EDT
Before you download the new software BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR CONTACTS! Installing the new software resets the entire phone and all will be lost if you don't back-up first. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 19 2008, 3:43 AM EDT
If you look around for the unofficial ROM Update, they have added Sprint Navigation, not the same as the old one, so you no longer need something like Google Maps. Sprint TV has also been added along with Windows Mobile 6.1...its run great for me so far, waiting on the official release just incase something happens and my phone isn't covered by insurance for having beta software. I currently have ROM version: 3.49.651.0. And actually looking around just now, someone says the official one is out, at least pre-released with ROM version: 3.56.651.0...hope this helps. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 19 2008, 3:38 PM EDT
That is the official and final ROM... Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 19 2008, 3:41 PM EDT
"Don't quite know what more to say here. If you bought the Mogul last week, it should come w/ the latest firmware Rev A., which will enable GPS receiver. Like everyone states, don't use TeleNav as it is pretty lame and you get charged. Use google maps (unfortunately mylocation doesn't work w/ WM6) or another 3rd party GPS application. I personally use Pharos Ostia."
ha ha My GPS on my Mogul blows away all yours. Check out my Mogul in Action and why Iphone 3G users could not belive how awesome my GPS is.

Goto: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PDXXYuJSWM4
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 22 2008, 1:44 AM EDT
I just got a replacement for my 5 month old Mogul and this one has telnav which works great and is free if you are on the SERO plan Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 26 2008, 1:29 PM EDT
HTC Mogul does have GPS, if you update the firmware. I use Garmin Mobile XT and it works great. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 27 2008, 4:24 PM EDT
"HTC Mogul does have GPS, if you update the firmware. I use Garmin Mobile XT and it works great."
You can download the firmware from HTC's website. It it upgrades the wm6.0 to wm6.1(as of 7/21/08) The upgrade also includes sprint tv and GPS(gps software is needed I use Google Maps Mobile) as well inproves speed and proformance issuses Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 28 2008, 3:11 PM EDT
Install free mapping tools such as Google Maps or Live Search ... on google maps click Menu->Use GPS to show ur current location using the built-in GPS Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 5 2008, 12:26 AM EDT
I just got my Mogul about three weeks ago. I immediately updated firmware, have unlimited internet, GPS is included on the phone, and I have confirmed with Sprint that unless I use Voice to Type, there are no charges. I've been pretty pleased with the results, and especially with the price (free). It's Sprint Navigation, and I think it's awesome! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 5 2008, 1:07 PM EDT
where did everyone get the google gps? did you automatically download it to your phone or did you have to sync? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Sep 7 2008, 2:59 PM EDT
goto www.google.com on your phone click on maps download it install it tada 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors