• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Free GPS software

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Free GPS software
May 30 2008, 7:49 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a good free Gps nav download for the Mogul? Telenav wants 10 bucs a month and I am a cheapskate! 10  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Free GPS software
May 31 2008, 8:23 AM EDT
"Does anyone know of a good free Gps nav download for the Mogul? Telenav wants 10 bucs a month and I am a cheapskate!"
Depends on what you want the GPS application to do. If you want voice turn-by-turn directions, you're going to have to pay. But I would rather pay for a full application like TomTom 6, which is only $100 at www.buygpsnow.com. That's already $20 cheaper than Telenav and you get to keep it forever. Also, because it resides on your device and storage card, it does not require a data connection like Telenav does.

If you don't care for that then, try Google Maps Mobile at www.google.com.gmm or Microsoft Live Search at wls.live.com. Both are free and work with GPS, but like Telenav, requires a data connection.
20  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 3 2008, 10:00 PM EDT
I have a program that I wrote, but I created it for the Sprint 6800, WM6.1. If that is a match I will send it to you to play with. It give lon, lat, elev, speed, direction, time of day, number of sats. It is based on the Sample code in MS SDK Mobile 6.0 which did not work without tunning. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
scottpj
scottpj
Jul 3 2008, 10:23 PM EDT
"I have a program that I wrote, but I created it for the Sprint 6800, WM6.1. If that is a match I will send it to you to play with. It give lon, lat, elev, speed, direction, time of day, number of sats. It is based on the Sample code in MS SDK Mobile 6.0 which did not work without tunning."
This software will turn on the GPS, but it does take time to acquire the Sats, 30 sec to 2 minutes if inside and the signal is poor. It is cool to drive down the road and see my speed and direction. No service plan required. I was thinking of adding a point capture and log feature so a mapping function could be added. 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
scottpj
scottpj
Jul 10 2008, 9:15 PM EDT
There are two attachments available for download which will enable the GPS to work on a Mogul. It may work for other HTC phones, but it will require Window Mobile 6 to be installed.
The MyGPS.CAB is an auto install which will need to be copied to the phone. Once copied, use the file explorer to activate the the install.
Once it is install, it will have a menu popup on the lower right hand side.
Pressing the "Start GPS" on the menu will cause you to see the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
QualComm GpsOne Card: version 0.0
SeviceState: On
DeviceState: On
Once the Sats are found the display will add additional lines:
Flags: 3FF5F
Latitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Longitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Above Sea Level: XXX.XXXXXXXX
Satellite Count: X/XX (X)
Heading: XXX.X
Speed: XX.X => will show 0 at rest
Time: MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS AM/PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the future I plan to change the heading to be both degrees and compass headings
4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
scottpj
scottpj
Jul 10 2008, 9:17 PM EDT
The attachments are to be found at the Home page 6  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jul 16 2008, 2:20 PM EDT
I own an HTC TYTN II and im looking for a GPS Software with Maps for Indai. I am willing to pay but unable to locate one. Please Help! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
darth_willy

darth_willy
Aug 1 2008, 7:25 AM EDT
"This software will turn on the GPS, but it does take time to acquire the Sats, 30 sec to 2 minutes if inside and the signal is poor. It is cool to drive down the road and see my speed and direction. No service plan required. I was thinking of adding a point capture and log feature so a mapping function could be added."
Hi,

I'm trying to run that GPS Sample provided with the Windows Mobile 6 SDK on my HTC Polaris. However, the only event it receives is the device state change event when the GPS is started ("QualComm GpsOne Card, version 0.0 On, On"). No location change events are received. At the end, I even tried a hard reset in case it was a registry problem, but to no avail. Does anyone know of this problem, and if so, how to solve it?

PS: when I tried to change the GPS settings (e.g. changing the comm ports), the device does not save them; it always reverts to the previous settings when I return to the settings screen. The only thing I am able to change is "Manage GPS automatically"; but if I do change it, I do not even receive the first device state change event.

Kind regards,

William
Do you find this valuable?    
ae86trueno
ae86trueno
Sep 2 2008, 9:54 AM EDT
"This software will turn on the GPS, but it does take time to acquire the Sats, 30 sec to 2 minutes if inside and the signal is poor. It is cool to drive down the road and see my speed and direction. No service plan required. I was thinking of adding a point capture and log feature so a mapping function could be added."
where can i get this turn by turn software? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 11 2008, 12:46 PM EST
"There are two attachments available for download which will enable the GPS to work on a Mogul. It may work for other HTC phones, but it will require Window Mobile 6 to be installed.
The MyGPS.CAB is an auto install which will need to be copied to the phone. Once copied, use the file explorer to activate the the install.
Once it is install, it will have a menu popup on the lower right hand side.
Pressing the "Start GPS" on the menu will cause you to see the following:
QualComm GpsOne Card: version 0.0
SeviceState: On
DeviceState: On
Once the Sats are found the display will add additional lines:
Flags: 3FF5F
Latitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Longitude (DD): XX.XXXXXXX
Above Sea Level: XXX.XXXXXXXX
Satellite Count: X/XX (X)
Heading: XXX.X
Speed: XX.X => will show 0 at rest
Time: MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS AM/PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the future I plan to change the heading to be both degrees and compass headings"
where do I get this software? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 26 2008, 3:42 PM EST
"Depends on what you want the GPS application to do. If you want voice turn-by-turn directions, you're going to have to pay. But I would rather pay for a full application like TomTom 6, which is only $100 at www.buygpsnow.com. That's already $20 cheaper than Telenav and you get to keep it forever. Also, because it resides on your device and storage card, it does not require a data connection like Telenav does.

If you don't care for that then, try Google Maps Mobile at www.google.com.gmm or Microsoft Live Search at wls.live.com. Both are free and work with GPS, but like Telenav, requires a data connection."
thakyuo
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors