• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Lost sms text message (all stored messages) after replacing battery

Watch
anakganteng

anakganteng
Lost sms text message (all stored messages) after replacing battery
May 5 2008, 6:24 PM EDT
I just recently replace my HTC Tilt/Kaiser battery, which cause all my saved sms text message gone. Since the rest of the phone seems to be fine, I wonder whether the sms is still inside the device somewhere, and I intend to extract it out manually. So do anyone know on what folder in the device does a text message are saved when they receive an sms?? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: Lost sms text message (all stored messages) after replacing battery
May 28 2008, 1:36 AM EDT
I have the same problem with my HTC touch!!!! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 28 2008, 10:01 PM EDT
me too! geez ive been looking for the answer EVERYWHERE. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 29 2008, 3:15 AM EDT
i'm surprised more people don't complain about this. i posted a thread in the xda forums too - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=395304 Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: Lost sms text message (all stored messages) after replacing batter
May 31 2008, 1:19 AM EDT
"I just recently replace my HTC Tilt/Kaiser battery, which cause all my saved sms text message gone. Since the rest of the phone seems to be fine, I wonder whether the sms is still inside the device somewhere, and I intend to extract it out manually. So do anyone know on what folder in the device does a text message are saved when they receive an sms??"
Does this happen only when you pop the battery out in the middle of Windows Mobile OS operation? Or do you press and hold the power button and respond Yes to the complete shut-down prompt?

I'm thinking the Messaging application was running in the background, perhaps trying to pull a new SMS off the SIM card at the moment the battery was popped out. I think you need to do a graceful power down.

I'm curious: can you send and receive new SMS in your now empty Messaging > Text Messages inbox?,

Another question: did you use Sprite Backup somewhere along the way? I'm wondering if an attempt was made to restore and something got smushed up in the SMS store.

I'm sure some smart person knows how, but I've never found an easy to open / read single file with SMS contents floating around in the My Device \ Windows folder or some sub-folder thereof. I think there are SMS indices and a jumble of other things that makes it difficult to grab ordinary text out of an SMS store file. But I'm not a developer, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Anyone have the answer?
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 8 2008, 11:50 AM EDT
anybody anything? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 17 2008, 4:36 PM EDT
. ii want to take the batterY out on mine . . and ii dont kno how .

Anonymous
Jul 4 2008, 12:28 PM EDT
"anybody anything?"
how do you get the messages back Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jul 30 2008, 6:03 AM EDT
Same thing happened to me. Not just the sms's was lost, but also my mail account that was setup as well as the emails in them.

I know it is most probably not that serious and most of the stuff lost can be recovered, but it is still very strange.

The phone also hangs very intermittently and thus was reason I popped the battery. I could not switch it off gracefully.

I’ll look back into thus forum to see if anybody found more on this.
anakganteng

anakganteng
Aug 4 2008, 3:33 PM EDT
Does this happen only when you pop the battery out in the middle of Windows Mobile OS operation? Or do you press and hold the power button and respond Yes to the complete shut-down prompt?
-i dont remember for this one, but i think I will always complete shut down by holding before touching the battery

I'm curious: can you send and receive new SMS in your now empty Messaging > Text Messages inbox?,
- yes , then the inbox wiped out, i can receive new mail from that moment on, and sent too... but the olf mail dissappear

Another question: did you use Sprite Backup somewhere along the way? I'm wondering if an attempt was made to restore and something got smushed up in the SMS store.
- yes i do, but the problem is not due to that... i didnt touch the sprite program around the time

I'm sure some smart person knows how, but I've never found an easy to open / read single file with SMS contents floating around in the My Device \ Windows folder or some sub-folder thereof. I think there are SMS indices and a jumble of other things that makes it difficult to grab ordinary text out of an SMS store file. But I'm not a developer, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Anyone have the answer?

- it will be nice to know how to extract sms from the windows folder
anakganteng

anakganteng
Aug 4 2008, 3:34 PM EDT
how do you get the messages back
- i restore my cell to previous backup using sprite... lost some sms there... but better than all
anakganteng

anakganteng
Aug 4 2008, 3:36 PM EDT
i dont know if this is related, but my cell phone also have an intermiten problem where suddenly it lost signal, and when i reboot it, it fail to boot, and restarted itself using factory default Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors