• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Windows Mobile 6.1

Keyword tags: htc touch 2 (edit keyword tags)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

TAlbergo
TAlbergo
Windows Mobile 6.1
May 4 2008, 8:32 PM EDT
Does anyone have any info on upgrading the Verizon XV6900 to Windows 6.1? 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Windows Mobile 6.1
May 4 2008, 10:06 PM EDT
"Does anyone have any info on upgrading the Verizon XV6900 to Windows 6.1?"
None of the Verizon versions of the HTC phones have been formally announced as getting the WM6.1 upgrade. You can get cooked versions over at www.xda-developers.com. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
citman

citman
May 7 2008, 3:01 PM EDT
There are so many different steps, and ROM versions @ www.xda-developers.com for the VZW XV6900--- has anyone successfully completed an upgrade to WM6.1 with this phone? If so, what is the recommended ROM?

Thx, C
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 8 2008, 10:34 PM EDT
"There are so many different steps, and ROM versions @ www.xda-developers.com for the VZW XV6900--- has anyone successfully completed an upgrade to WM6.1 with this phone? If so, what is the recommended ROM?

Thx, C"
Cooked roms are not necessarily upgrades, but at the same time they change the look and the feel and sometimes the performance of the phone. They are not sanctioned by Microsoft or HTC. they void your warranty. Htc or your carrier will not replace a defective phone with a cooked rom. It is like buying a car with a 4 cylinder motor that does everything you want but then taking it to a speed shop and putting in a high power " monster " 8 cylinder engine. Is it a upgrade? Yes, but is it what you really want? Read further on xda and see how many people " bricked " their phones when they made a mistake doing it. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 9 2008, 12:12 AM EDT
"Cooked roms are not necessarily upgrades, but at the same time they change the look and the feel and sometimes the performance of the phone. They are not sanctioned by Microsoft or HTC. they void your warranty. Htc or your carrier will not replace a defective phone with a cooked rom. It is like buying a car with a 4 cylinder motor that does everything you want but then taking it to a speed shop and putting in a high power " monster " 8 cylinder engine. Is it a upgrade? Yes, but is it what you really want? Read further on xda and see how many people " bricked " their phones when they made a mistake doing it."
I understand--- I am just hoping that HTC will hurry up and release an "offical" release of 6.1 we can can take advantage of all the cool new features without having to resort to other methods of using the latest OS. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
May 9 2008, 9:42 AM EDT
"I understand--- I am just hoping that HTC will hurry up and release an "offical" release of 6.1 we can can take advantage of all the cool new features without having to resort to other methods of using the latest OS. "
Actually it's not up to HTC to make the release available on the XV6900. It's up to Verizon to decide whether or not they want to make it available. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
citman

citman
May 9 2008, 10:22 AM EDT
That was exactly my point when requesting that someone who was successful in performing a flash with a "cooked" ROM post clear procedures here. This will help those of us who want to use 6.1 not "brick" a phone :) 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 9 2008, 12:47 PM EDT
"That was exactly my point when requesting that someone who was successful in performing a flash with a "cooked" ROM post clear procedures here. This will help those of us who want to use 6.1 not "brick" a phone :)"
The procedures are pretty clear over at xda just as clear as anyone over here can give you. If you don't understand them (No offense intended} you probably shouldn't be screwing with what I am sure is a large investment for you, I know bricking my phone would hurt me. Also 6.1 is a relative term, there is no official 6.1 and there are a multitude of cooked 6.1 's . 6.1 just means we took 6.0 took out the stuff "we " thought was crap,put in stuff " we " thought was cool, put our name on it and offered it to whoever wanted to download it. Hence there is no " recommended " rom. Go to every rom thread, see what they have taken out and what they have added. Checkout some screen shots and decide if it is for you. It's like buying a car, they basically all get you to work and back. I have flashed several roms on my Kaiser and it is not difficult, but you need to study the procedures until you can repeat them in your sleep and follow all the steps or you could end up with a $500.00 play toy for the kids. And remember anything you do is at your own risk, this WILL void any warranty. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
mikedav01

mikedav01
May 12 2008, 1:56 PM EDT
I read at least 20 pages @vda and ppc. Agreed about the $500 playtoy. Makes no snese that carriers cripple valuable pieces that re built-in. GPS can be a lifesaver, threaded sms is a ligicical item. Supposedly "6.1" has these and more. They will get their due in more air time usage, espcially for GPS. Alas, makes no sense. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
horbeme
horbeme
May 16 2008, 5:51 PM EDT
there is an official Windows Mobile 6.1 just check microsofts website and its a free upgrade http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914&displaylang=en . the only problem is that your service provider has to release for your phone for what i told and the reason for this is because they hey to adjust the format the fit each and every phone that will carry it. your provider has to make your phone available for the upgrade. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
horbeme
horbeme
May 16 2008, 5:52 PM EDT
"Does anyone have any info on upgrading the Verizon XV6900 to Windows 6.1?"
there is an official Windows Mobile 6.1 just check microsofts website and its a free upgrade http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914&displaylang=en . the only problem is that your service provider has to release for your phone for what i told and the reason for this is because they hey to adjust the format the fit each and every phone that will carry it. your provider has to make your phone available for the upgrade 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 16 2008, 8:38 PM EDT
"there is an official Windows Mobile 6.1 just check microsofts website and its a free upgrade http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914&displaylang=en . the only problem is that your service provider has to release for your phone for what i told and the reason for this is because they hey to adjust the format the fit each and every phone that will carry it. your provider has to make your phone available for the upgrade"
Microsoft has issued an upgrade for for Windows Mobile 6.1 That is only an OS update for the phone. It is not a Rom upgrade for the phone. That is something completely different. The rom for your phone is released by your carrier and is upgraded by your carrier and contains Wm 6.1 as well as many other controlling features of your phone. It controls everything from the way your screen looks to whether or not you have GPS and a number of other capabilities of your " chip set ."

Verizon will decide , not Microsoft, whether to upgrade your Rom or not. HTC will put together the new rom and give it to Verizon to release. Or Not!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
horbeme
horbeme
May 17 2008, 6:21 PM EDT
i see exactly what you mean, i went to check what the update is and it only upgrades support for the mobile device. so a rom upgrade will change the apparence as well as add the additional features that mobile 6.1 have over 6.0 is that correct? me personally i could care less for all the features i just want the threaded text messaging. will microsoft make software just to have threaded texting on mobile 6.0 or would i have to get 6.1? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 17 2008, 9:21 PM EDT
"i see exactly what you mean, i went to check what the update is and it only upgrades support for the mobile device. so a rom upgrade will change the apparence as well as add the additional features that mobile 6.1 have over 6.0 is that correct? me personally i could care less for all the features i just want the threaded text messaging. will microsoft make software just to have threaded texting on mobile 6.0 or would i have to get 6.1? "
An " official " rom upgrade from your provder will contain a lot or a few things, maybe an appearance change maybe not. You won't know until they release it. The " cooked " roms usually provide a list of what it contains and usually screen shots as unique today screens are a big draw to a lot of these roms. The official rom update will probably contain WM 6.1 the way Microsoft wrote it. The cooked roms take 6.1 and get rid of what they think is crap and they keep what they think is cool.

I have seen some custom roms that have taken Word, Excel, and Power Point out of 6.1 because they thought it was a waste of storage space. And no, I highly doubt that Microsoft will be making any more improvement to 6.0. Look for 3rd party messenging software.

Anonymous
May 18 2008, 11:06 AM EDT
Will they provide update windows 6.1 for HTC S720? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
horbeme
horbeme
May 18 2008, 11:18 AM EDT
i contacted htc and they said there working on the upgrades but not sure which devices will get and not sure when it will be available 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 18 2008, 11:52 AM EDT
"Will they provide update windows 6.1 for HTC S720?"
No announcements have been made for a planned upgrade for the S720. The announcement will more than likely come from Telus at this point. ( I am assuming you have Telus ) Besides the phone was released over a year ago, isn't it time for a new phone. ; ) 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
denco7
denco7
May 18 2008, 12:04 PM EDT
"No announcements have been made for a planned upgrade for the S720. The announcement will more than likely come from Telus at this point. ( I am assuming you have Telus ) Besides the phone was released over a year ago, isn't it time for a new phone. ; )"
Sorry, cleaned out my computer yesterday and forgot to sign in again for the above post. Anyway check MS Windows mobile site for the announced updates. And remember just because they announced it doesn't mean it is available yet. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
ande8150
ande8150
Sep 21 2008, 8:12 PM EDT
Here it is

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=79&cat=2&dl_id=106

Anonymous
Nov 15 2008, 1:13 PM EST
This is a horrible answer. I know how to cook a phone and am very techie...but there are no clear step by steps on their forums at xda. so confusigin to newbies it's painful! Do you find this valuable?    
Site pages
Top Contributors