• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: Disappearing "Messaging" apps

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
Disappearing "Messaging" apps
Mar 24 2008, 3:56 PM EDT
Just bought new AT&T TIlt last tuesday. Had something weird happen last Friday. It appears the messaging application vanishes for no apparent reason. hitting the messaging hard key, or touching messaging in Today window or even the send text message icon in tool bar does nothing. Even though it was working fine for days. No response to power cycle, battery pull etc. Took to AT&T store, did soft reset. No effect at first, but then 2nd try, everything back and working after reboot. Until last night. Same thing again. Now working again, but really a pain w/numerous soft resets required and came back again just before I was preparing to wipe the thing w/hard reset and start all over.

Just wondering if this is my device or anyone has seen this. Seems wonderful (compared to 8125) but so far this is very unreliable experience for email/text services.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Disappearing "Messaging" apps
Mar 24 2008, 5:10 PM EDT
"Just bought new AT&T TIlt last tuesday. Had something weird happen last Friday. It appears the messaging application vanishes for no apparent reason. hitting the messaging hard key, or touching messaging in Today window or even the send text message icon in tool bar does nothing. Even though it was working fine for days. No response to power cycle, battery pull etc. Took to AT&T store, did soft reset. No effect at first, but then 2nd try, everything back and working after reboot. Until last night. Same thing again. Now working again, but really a pain w/numerous soft resets required and came back again just before I was preparing to wipe the thing w/hard reset and start all over.

Just wondering if this is my device or anyone has seen this. Seems wonderful (compared to 8125) but so far this is very unreliable experience for email/text services.
"
Did you try a hard reset on yor device? Just goto Start\Settings\System\Clear Storage. Enter 1234 into the text entry box and it will wipe yor device completely to it's original state (when you first bought it). Unfortunately, it means you will have to reinstall everything (if you did). Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Mar 25 2008, 4:40 AM EDT
"Did you try a hard reset on yor device? Just goto Start\Settings\System\Clear Storage. Enter 1234 into the text entry box and it will wipe yor device completely to it's original state (when you first bought it). Unfortunately, it means you will have to reinstall everything (if you did)."
No, I got within seconds of trying that, actually tried it with the simultaneous button pushes while trying to hit the reset button, but fell off one of the buttons during this, and effected yet another soft reset, which, after like six trys, fixed it again. So far it's been working/staying messaging functional all day. If it happens again, it will be hard reset and/or exchanged for brand new unit. Might as well eliminate that too as long as I have to reload/resync everything anyway. Do you find this valuable?    
John_A
John_A
Nov 2 2008, 8:44 AM EST
"Just bought new AT&T TIlt last tuesday. Had something weird happen last Friday. It appears the messaging application vanishes for no apparent reason. hitting the messaging hard key, or touching messaging in Today window or even the send text message icon in tool bar does nothing. Even though it was working fine for days. No response to power cycle, battery pull etc. Took to AT&T store, did soft reset. No effect at first, but then 2nd try, everything back and working after reboot. Until last night. Same thing again. Now working again, but really a pain w/numerous soft resets required and came back again just before I was preparing to wipe the thing w/hard reset and start all over.

"
Try removing your storage card. With the card out, try your messaging app again.
I'm currently investigating if my Micro SDHC 4GB card is not compatible with the AT&T Tilt. I've ordered the older and slightly slower Micro SD 4G card.
HTC tech support says that the High Capacity (SDHC) cards are not reliable, and that I should have the simple SD card, without the HC feature.
I've done four hard resets so far, as well as a card reformat, but all to no avail. We'll see if the SD card solves this very annoying issue when it arrives.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Nov 21 2008, 7:37 PM EST
Thank You! Removed my 4Gb SanDisk SDHC storage card and messaging started working instantly. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Dec 9 2008, 10:54 AM EST
I have the same problem, 4GB card seems to be the problem. I used it with 6.0 with no issues and after a month on 6.1 it started acting up. Do you find this valuable?    
gheck911
gheck911
Dec 11 2008, 3:10 AM EST
"I have the same problem, 4GB card seems to be the problem. I used it with 6.0 with no issues and after a month on 6.1 it started acting up."
Same issue as above but I think I found the real problem/solution. In file explorer, there were 2 folders on the card called "Inbox.mst299...". I only remember there being one previously. I deleted them both and BAM....messaging is back and working. When I checked the card again, there was only 1 folder named like before.

Please try and give your reports.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Dec 12 2008, 10:31 AM EST
"Same issue as above but I think I found the real problem/solution. In file explorer, there were 2 folders on the card called "Inbox.mst299...". I only remember there being one previously. I deleted them both and BAM....messaging is back and working. When I checked the card again, there was only 1 folder named like before.

Please try and give your reports."
I have the HTC Fuze and have been experiencing the same problem. The techs at the AT&T store could not figure it out. It worked after a re-set and the messaging malfunctioned again. My messages were not sent. I want to try deleting those folders. So far I haven't found them. Would I find them on the storage card or on the phone? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Monday, 1:54 PM EST
"I have the HTC Fuze and have been experiencing the same problem. The techs at the AT&T store could not figure it out. It worked after a re-set and the messaging malfunctioned again. My messages were not sent. I want to try deleting those folders. So far I haven't found them. Would I find them on the storage card or on the phone?"
i found the file on my storage card and deleting the file seemed to do the trick. Messaging started right up. This worked on my AT&T Tilt, WM 6.0, to be more specific
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors