• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: HTC 720 dies when sliding keyboard

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 | Next
showyn

showyn
HTC 720 dies when sliding keyboard
Mar 9 2008, 8:38 PM EDT
I have a Telus HTC720. I works great except once in a while when I slide it shut it dies. I have to open the back remove and reinsert the battery and power it back on. I have no memory card, and not running apps. I checked battery contacts - were a little flat so I bent them up, but didn't fix the problem. Any ideas, patches, or suggestions? Thanks for any help. 4  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: HTC 720 dies when sliding keyboard
Mar 28 2008, 4:18 PM EDT
I have the same problem. You have to be very gentle when you slide keyboard. Also, if I put the phone down too hard (but no harder than I did with other phones, I am not slamming it) phone shuts off. It looks like battery contact-point issue. I will take it up with dealer. Have you heard back on this at all? 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 30 2008, 2:13 PM EDT
My S720 does the same thing as well.

Horrendously annoying...
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Alex

The_Alex
Mar 30 2008, 11:53 PM EDT
I'll chime in and say that mine has done the same thing 3 times in the two weeks I've owned it. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 5:53 PM EDT
Mine does the same thing once or twice per week and has been this way since the day I bought it in December. It's VERY annoying. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Alex

The_Alex
Apr 1 2008, 9:13 PM EDT
I emailed HTC about it and here's there response:

"Thank you for your inquiry about the S720.

I can understand how upsetting it may be to have your phone not function the way it should. There is no known issue with the keyboard of the device. However there may be a glitch in the software of the device that makes the device unstable. Reloading the software by performing master reset should fix the problem.

After master reset all data stored on the device will be lost. Back up the data. The device may not be functional for up to 15 minutes after a master reset is performed. If you have a email set up, you need to set it up again after the master reset.

To perform master reset:

1. Click Start > Expert > Clear Storage.

2. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the phone."

So according to them, this is the first they've heard of this... so I'd encourage all of you experiencing this problem to email them... to make sure they hear us loud and clear. As for their "master reset" solution, I might try that this weekend, when I have some time to set up my phone (such as contacts and so on) again. If anyone tries the master reset... let us know here how it goes!

- The_Alex

Anonymous
Apr 4 2008, 6:30 PM EDT
I have hade my phone for 2 months now and it has had the same problem. I have contacted HTC about it and they told me to do a master reset, I did that and have still had no luck, my phone still shuts off when vibration hits. :( 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Alex

The_Alex
Apr 5 2008, 7:10 PM EDT
Well, I'm stuck with this phone for my 3 year contract. I hope HTC does something soon to remedy this. This is not acceptable and could be bad for their reputation as a cell phone company, especially in such a competitive market! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 5 2008, 10:02 PM EDT
This phone is complete garbage. It worked great for about 2 months, and up until 3 weeks ago, I've had nothing but problems. Programs crashing or freezing. The phone itself freezing. Windows Mobile crashing and randomly restarting/powering off.

This is a crap phone. Do not buy it. If you want a smartphone that's reliable, stick with a Blackberry and avoid anything/everything with Winblows Mobile on it.
The_Alex

The_Alex
Apr 5 2008, 11:48 PM EDT
I have once again sent en email to HTC regarding this issue. The phone dies after the keyboard is shut, which leads me to believe that when it's closed, it jars the battery loose, causing the shut down. The possible causes of this problem are either the battery does not fit properly or the battery cover isn't firm enough to hold the battery in place. Therefore the solutions might either be a battery replacement or a batter cover replacement. Either way, HTC needs to come up with the answer and the solutions cost should be covered 100% by this company. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 12 2008, 7:44 PM EDT
wats rong with the phone and i was just wondering what it looks like 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 26 2008, 2:33 AM EDT
hey everyone. mine did the same. if you change your home screen so its not on windows live it will help with the freezing and messed up background image. i am on my fourth one is 3 months and now this one is completely messed up and telus refuses to replace another one. htc just says thanks for inquiring but there are no other issues..... it seems that is their only response for everything 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Alex

The_Alex
Apr 26 2008, 12:15 PM EDT
Well, two days ago I had Telus replace my phone as a result of it dying when the keyboard slides closed. They gave me a couple hoops to jump through before they would replace it, but they did nonetheless. I haven't yet had a problem with it dying, but it was a few days after use the first time around when the phone started having problems. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 29 2008, 11:04 AM EDT
I've had the same problem, and now on my 3rd phone. The first one didn't work out of the box. Although my new one seems better only 5 days, but i haven't had to charge the battery yet as before it needed charging every second day. Fingers crossed. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 13 2008, 8:04 PM EDT
mine won't move past the windows mobile star screen. can anyone help?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 15 2008, 11:20 AM EDT
"I have a Telus HTC720. I works great except once in a while when I slide it shut it dies. I have to open the back remove and reinsert the battery and power it back on. I have no memory card, and not running apps. I checked battery contacts - were a little flat so I bent them up, but didn't fix the problem. Any ideas, patches, or suggestions? Thanks for any help."
It is not just the Telus 720. I have a P4300 and mine has exactly the same problem. Either it cuts off completely or it freezes up and i have to remove the battery, reset clocks, alarms, setings, etc. at least 3 times per day. i have had my phone since July '07 and started having these problems about a month ago. it is REALLY aggravating! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 16 2008, 1:30 PM EDT
I have the same issue.. but ive also had it crap out when i get a phone call. Hear it ring once.. then it stops.. look at it.. and its black. have to remove/reinsert battery to get it back up.

I have the full warrantee on this thing.. and have owned it for 7 months now.. finally decided to ask telus to fix it.. he's ordering me another, and will exchange it.. but also suggested the factory reset to me.. but i already did that twice.. never fixed the slider issue.

curious if the replacement doesnt work as to whether they would upgrade me to a new model or not.. ill let ya know.

Anonymous
Jun 16 2008, 2:53 PM EDT
My screen went on Saturday, it looks like an etch a sketch that lost it's magnetic powers, the only clear portion of the screen is the very bottom and then it has lines through the next bit and then it's white washed for the top eight tenths of the screen. Heading to Telus tonight and will be very unhappy if they give me a hard time seeing all the issues there have been with this phone. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 21 2008, 3:23 PM EDT
I am currently in the market for a HTC phone. I have a friend with the HTC touch and have used it to write emergency emails for work and such when I'm out-and-about, and from my brief time using it I was really impressed with the product. So I thought, why not get a 720? Then I'll have a full keyboard, practical for someone like me who needs to access emails at a moments notice.

As any good and informed consumer, I decided to start researching HTC's brand history and the software the company develops and employs. Holy shit was I disappointed. I hope HTC is paying close attention to these forums, because one of the first pages that pops up when you google "HTC" is this one!!! To have so many complaints about HTC's products centralized in a single location! AND the fact that it is on the company's own website!! I would expect solutions (or at least a reaction) coming from all these problems. These are fatal flaws in their smartphones! I have emailed HTC to inquire about the 720 keyboard problem and am still waiting for a response.

So the bottom line is this: I saw a 720 in a local Buy and Sell magazine for $100.00 ono last week. Now I know why.

Anonymous
Jun 21 2008, 6:08 PM EDT
I have now recieved an email back from HTC. It is now clear HTC does not pay attention to this wiki because the person who emailed me back denied seeing this thread, even though he "researched":
" I do apologize that you have hear so many issues regarding our S720 device! I handle Technical support on our phones as well as respond to E-Mails here and I, personally, have not heard of any issues with the device's sliding keyboard having any adverse side effects on this device. I have researched this issue on htcwiki.com and could not locate any concentration of issues regarding this vs any general articles regarding this device.

HTC is committed to producing the finest technology that we can possibly develop and if there is, in fact, some physical issue with ANY of our devices you have and your carrier either cannot, for whatever reason, cover the issue or insurance does not have your device covered, please bear in mind that our devices come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I also would inquire as to if any spaciffic software was installed on any of these devices that did not come native to the devices. Such third party softwares, although they may seem unrelated, may cause the device to function in ways that they are not intended to.

We are constantly updating our software with our devices and, should any such issue become a "trending issue", add fixes to such issues as we can add these. All of our updates, of course, go through a very tedious process of approval not only from our development team, but from the carrier who we are releasing these ROMs for to ensure the best possible quality to the customer. Any such release would be available on http://www.htc.com/us for our devices that have a carrier branding, and for our devices that are HTC branded spaciffically you can visit the same site and register with our "E-Club" to receive updates that are spaciffic to your device."
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)