Discussion: Make your Wing really Fly

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 3 4 5  | Next
pdl1

pdl1
Make your Wing really Fly
Feb 27 2008, 6:29 PM EST
Wings are great, but they can be way better. It's not hard. They need three tweaks:
1. A new touch screen interface that is fast, friendly and doesn't require a stylus to make a call
2. More memory. It's hard to do much in the 6MB left us by HTC
3. More speed. Most Wings can run a lot faster than they do.

The way I suggest you approach this full Wing makeover is 2, 3, 1. Free up memory, make it fast, then add in a great new interface. By the way, all this is totally free. If there is interest, I will post how all this is done. Let me know.

Paul D.
43  out of 46 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
RE: Make your Wing really Fly
Feb 28 2008, 11:18 AM EST
i have a wing and might want to do the tweaks. what are they? 5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 28 2008, 3:30 PM EST
Yes, I'd like to know how to increase the productivity... Do tell. 8  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
pdl1

pdl1
Feb 28 2008, 6:45 PM EST
OK.Here we go. Step 1: Free up memory. This is essential before adding the cool stuff that comes later. There are two steps. The first modifies the internal memory usage of the Wing (the Pagepool) . Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=326655
and download the Quick Pagepool Size Changer zip file. Follow his recommendations. Basically what you do is unzip the file, load a small program onto the Wing that allows the internal memory (ROM) to be modified, then you run a quick batch file to actually modify the ROM. You do NOT load a new ROM. This is safe and immediately gives you 6 MB more free memory.
Lets do this first, then I'll show you how to free up even more memory.
Paul D.
12  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
pdl1

pdl1
Feb 28 2008, 7:35 PM EST
Please be sure to run the 6 MB BAT file. People have had problems with 4 MB.
Paul D.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
pdl1

pdl1
Feb 29 2008, 9:06 AM EST
Step 2: go to Pocketgear.com and download the trial version of Pocket Mechanic Professional. This magical utility has a gadget called Relocate. You have three choices in Relocate. Pick Relocate Installed Software. The program will generate a list of all installed programs and where they are. Assuming you have an SD card installed, you can move the big programs from Wing memory to the SD card. The magic comes in because Pocket Mechanic updates every shortcut, link and Registry entry to the new location of the file, automatically.
Next you can move big Folders (like Ringtones). Choose Relocate Folders, choose the folder to move and the Storage Card site to move it to, and Pocket Mechanic moves the Folder and its contents, then updates all shortcuts and Registry references to the files inside the folder. Probably not smart to move the Windows folder itself, but inside \Windows there are Rings, Fonts and all kinds of stuff you can move.
13  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 29 2008, 11:03 AM EST
im getting a wing on monday and i would like to know how to do this. thanks. 2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
stakou

stakou
Mar 1 2008, 2:07 PM EST
Very interesting . I am really anxious to see the next steps...Can u give us an update ? Thanks!

3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 2 2008, 1:10 AM EST
At this point you should have successfully reset your pagepool to 6 MB and moved most of your Programs and various junk files to the Storage Card. This should give you 16-22 MB free. Check this by Settings=>Memory and see how much of the Program Memory is free. If it is low, like 6-8 MB then either you have not successfully reset the Pagepool or you have not used Pocket Mechanic to move most of your stuff to the Card.
At this point I'd like to mention another useful program you can download from PocketGear: MemMaid. It won't move programs like Pocket Mechanic but it will get you more memory. Go to Cleaner, Advanced, check most everything and let 'er rip. This should give you another 1-2MB. As you have discerned, memory is critical in making your Wing fly. Without lots of free memory all the cool stuff won't run right.
Anyhow, after all of the above is done, go to PointUI.com and download version 102.b. Be sure to load it to your main memory, not the storage card. After you do, you can use System Mechanic to move the PointUI Update folder to the Storage card, but keep the main program in Program Memory. When it installs go to Programs and touch the PointUI button.After it loads, touch the little wheel on the upper right, which takes you to the System Menu. Pick Customize PointUi and select slide from the first box and Run on Reboot lower down. You have now transformed your Wing to the coolest phone around. Slide your finger past the clock to set your weather etc. Fool around.
Next lesson we will speed up the Wing.
5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 11:40 AM EST
I like everything so far, but I have a big question. What sort of files are you suggesting moving to the micro SD card? Are we talking about actual WM6 programs that the Wing needs to access to function properly? Or are you referring to extraneous programs that are not essential to basic functionality? And how does a layperson tell the difference?

I really like the idea of making the Wing faster and more functional, but I don't want to screw up the innards of my mobile device by accidentally doing something I can't undo. I know this makes me sound like a scaredy-cat, but I'm a bit of a techie neophyte, and making changes to the operating system sounds like a big step.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 2:24 PM EST
Everyone has a risk tolerance. Those with high risk tolerance charge right in. Those with medium risk tolerance buy SunnySoft Backup manager from PocketGear, back everything up to the SD card, then charge. With SunnySoft, you can do a hard reset and a restore and be back where you were. Those with low risk tolerance aren't reading this.
Note that the Pagepool.bat is permanent. Hundreds of people have done it, and I have yet to see a post of a problem, but it cannot be reversed, even with a hard reset. If for some reason you wanted your Pagepool back to 12 MB, you could run that Pagepool.bat program, but that is modifying ROM too.
As to what to move, I moved all the Ringtones, Colored backgrounds, Icons etc. The programs you move depend on what you have. I moved, for example, Pocket Mechanic itself, MemMaid, Par 72 Golf, PointUI Update Manager, Sunnysoft backup, Total Commander,Window media Player, DialerBKG images. I am sure there is lots more to be moved, but I chose only files > 100K. Generally, Pocket Mechanic will not even offer to move programs that need to be in System memory.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 2:28 PM EST
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Guess I'll give it a shot, as aside from weight, my only complaint with the Wing is the sluggish performance. Cheers. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 2:43 PM EST
Not really a performance question, so maybe shouldn't ask in this thread, but here goes...

T-Mobile has been giving me conflicting information about max capacity that Wing will support in micro SD card. One source said 2GB, and another said 4GB, but definitely not 8GB. Seems to be a software issue as to what capacity is supported. Does anyone have any definitive info on this? Thanks.

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 3:24 PM EST
We didn't get there yet. I am only half way done with the lessons. To get a head start on speeding up the Wing, consider a bigger battery. It makes the Wing about 20% thicker and heavier, but doubles the battery time. I think they are about 2200 mAh, and cost around $50, with the new back. Speeding up the Wing isn't hard, but it does use up the battery a bit faster. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 5:00 PM EST
If you are implying that these tweaks will also end up supporting a higher capacity micro SD card, then you have a new disciple. As I said before, I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to tech stuff, but I know when I'm speaking with someone who knows more than me.

Please keep the lessons coming, and thanks again.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 3 2008, 5:19 PM EST
Sorry. That post about SD cards was anomalous. The Wing supports up to 4GB but 2 is plenty. I'm talking about speed! The first step in supercharging a Wing is freeing up more memory. The second step is to load the right programs to run the Wing. That's where we are now. PointUI is good, but you will need more. If you really want speed, download BatteryStatus Today-PlugIn from chi-tai.info. After loading (into Program Memory, not SD card memory), click on Omap, and pick your speed. Most Wings will go up to 247 mHz, some quite a bit higher. When you start, check the Overclock box, and the Overclock on Wakeup, and the Remember last CPUSpeed but NOT the Overclock on reboot. That way, if you pick a speed that is so high the Wing crashes, all you have to do is re-boot. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
stakou

stakou
Mar 4 2008, 3:51 PM EST
Great advices... A couple of notes/comments/questions
1) Using the Pocket mechanic to move the T zones program makes the icon on the start/windows drawer unreadable. Pressing on the icon works but the icon is just not there
2) U need to move the ringtones directly under the Storage card. U cannot put them under "storage Card/My Documents" folder for example because the system can't find them. U can copy the ringtones from rings (under windows folder) to the My ringtones folder.
3) The PointUI is great. I can't find a "Run on reboot option" There is a Show Home when device is switched on but this does not do anything on the reboot of the wing.
I have to load it each time I restart the wing. + It does not support other fonts.... For example greek.
4) I did not manage to work with Memmaid. Each time I tried to make it use the cleaner it cleared a lot of the folders I had previously moved with Pocket Mechanic... and I had to do a hard reboot to get everything back. I do not know which option prevents that, any help is appreciated
4) For The batteryStatus plugin i Have a question? I set 247Mhz and the options that are proposed. Do I need to launch it each time I restart to set 247MHz or it is enough with the options I have to have it working faster? Thanks for any comments
pdl1

pdl1
Mar 4 2008, 6:48 PM EST
1. Best not to move programs you need from Program Memory. Put it back.
2.The idea is to move all the ringtones, .jpgs, and all the superfluous junk you find scattered throughout the Program Memory that you don't use. Best to leave the one ringtone you do use in it's place.
3. Those options were not for PointUI (which is customized bu clicking the white wheel and clicking Customize Home. The program I was discussing is BatteryStatus. It's Omap tab has the Run on Reboot. Only click it when you have found a stable speed. Once you do it will always run at that speed.
4. You must be doing things with MemMaid other than just clean. It too can move programs. Be sure you move everything with Pocket Mechanic as I described. I know you can use File Manager to move files, but it doesn't update the shortcuts or the Registry.
4. (sic) See 3

Good luck,

Paul
stakou

stakou
Mar 4 2008, 7:42 PM EST
"1. Best not to move programs you need from Program Memory. Put it back.
2.The idea is to move all the ringtones, .jpgs, and all the superfluous junk you find scattered throughout the Program Memory that you don't use. Best to leave the one ringtone you do use in it's place.
3. Those options were not for PointUI (which is customized bu clicking the white wheel and clicking Customize Home. The program I was discussing is BatteryStatus. It's Omap tab has the Run on Reboot. Only click it when you have found a stable speed. Once you do it will always run at that speed.
4. You must be doing things with MemMaid other than just clean. It too can move programs. Be sure you move everything with Pocket Mechanic as I described. I know you can use File Manager to move files, but it doesn't update the shortcuts or the Registry.
4. (sic) See 3

Good luck,

Paul"
Thanks...
Just to be sure I understand...
In the post where you talk for PointUI (before BatteryStatus post) you mention Click on Run on reboot (through the wheel, customize, etc). I suppose u where just confused(?)

The ringtones do work if the folder is "My Ringtones" under /Storage Card

Thanks again...
I am curious to see what is the next step you propose to do
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
714TIM

714TIM
Mar 4 2008, 9:04 PM EST
okay I'm an idiot..... attach my wing to my laptop and save downloaded items directly to wing? 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors