• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: MMS on P4000?

Keyword tags: pocketpc PocketPC Telus Edge GPRS Telus
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

retrofitweb
retrofitweb
MMS on P4000?
Jan 29 2008, 12:40 AM EST
Has Telus crippled my phone.
If not, then why isn't possible to send or receive MMS messages from this feature rich phone?
seems silly.
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: MMS on P4000?
Jan 31 2008, 2:16 PM EST
It is not possible to send or receive any mms on any pda from Telus (or I believe any carrier in Canada). It has to do with the functionalities of pdas. If it is a picture or video it is sent as an e-mail when sending and you can collect it from mytelusmobility.com/snap with a password sent by e-mail or by calling telus customer service. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
retrofitweb
retrofitweb
Jan 31 2008, 3:15 PM EST
"It is not possible to send or receive any mms on any pda from Telus (or I believe any carrier in Canada). It has to do with the functionalities of pdas. If it is a picture or video it is sent as an e-mail when sending and you can collect it from mytelusmobility.com/snap with a password sent by e-mail or by calling telus customer service."
Okay...that sucks.
So what you're saying is that on PDAs in Canada MMS is broken.
This Telus SNAP website isn't even a mobile site. So i need to use a PC to access a picture? lame.
Do you find this valuable?    
Soundy

Soundy
Feb 2 2008, 1:00 PM EST
MMS works just fine on my Rogers Treo650, so it's nothing to do with "the functionalities of PDAs". If you check forums like PPCgeeks.com or xda-developers.com, there are people "re-adding" MMS functionality to a number of smartphones and PDAs. From what I've been able to gather on these sites, Windows Mobile 5 included MMS software; WM6 does not, but many carriers are choosing to bundle Arcsoft MMS Composer software. Telus is not one of these, and the apparently have MMS specifically removed from or disabled in their WM5 phones.

This is why my wife is returning her new HTC S720 and getting a MOTOKRZR instead - as "neat" as she finds the email and browsing and what not, she really made a lot of use of picture-messaging on her older RAZR, and it's been two weeks of nothign but stress over the issue of not having it on the new phone.

Telus has long had a history of crippling phones, though: on my older Moto V710 and newer RAZR, they intentionally disabled the ability to load your own MP3 ringtones. They'll try to tell you the hardware doesn't support it, but with the V710 I enabled it with a few SEEM hacks, and with the RAZR all it requires is to put the MP3s on the phone, delete the ringtone database, and restart the phone - it then rebuilds the database from whatever files are present. They claim this is done because of copyright concerns, but I suspect it's more likely so they can charge you to download them. It's noteworthy that friends' Rogers RAZRs do allow user-loaded MP3s as ringtones, no hacking necessary.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Soundy

Soundy
Feb 2 2008, 1:05 PM EST
"Okay...that sucks.
So what you're saying is that on PDAs in Canada MMS is broken.
This Telus SNAP website isn't even a mobile site. So i need to use a PC to access a picture? lame."
Not only is Snap not a mobile site, it doesn't even work properly right now. As soon as my wife discovered her new Telus S720 didn't do MMS, she called them; they told her she could use the Snap site instead, but it hasn't worked since Day 1 - pictures sent to her even by Telus's tech never arrived, and navigating the Snap site is a PITA. And if you "save to your album" from Snap, the album isn't actually directly accessible from Snap; you have to go to mytelusmobility.com and set up a different account there to access these albums.

They also told her she could send picture messages to MMS-capable phones by emailing to phonenumber@carrier (ie. 604#######@msg.telus.com) but that doesn't work either.

In short, Telus's whole setup is a mess, and it's got us on the verge of jumping ship to Rogers after being Telus Mobility customers for 16+ years.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors