• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: gps on sprint touch

Keyword tags: Sprint Sprint Touch TouchFlo
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Previous | 13 4 5 6 | Next > Last

Anonymous
RE: gps on sprint touch
Feb 12 2008, 8:05 AM EST
Where is the link to the update? HOOK A BROTHER UP!!! Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 13 2008, 12:56 AM EST
No matt 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 13 2008, 5:24 AM EST
You dont desserve it 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 13 2008, 8:12 AM EST
if you're gonna screw around, go some place else... if you have something legitimate to say, then post something worth reading 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 13 2008, 10:30 PM EST
Just please post the link. THanks. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 14 2008, 11:26 AM EST
There is no update yet. Does anyone have info on the Rev A? I've seen Sprint's comment about the GPS, but nothing concrete that says there will be Rev A. Any links to Rev A info? Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 14 2008, 12:14 PM EST
Touch does not have GPS. (in Canada anyways)
I bought a Bluetooth Holux GPS receiver for $50. Works great with google maps and tomtom go.
Easy to setup, easy to use!
0  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 15 2008, 2:47 PM EST
Sprint.com/RevA/sprinttouch=good 0  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 16 2008, 7:59 AM EST
I need some help. I just bought a bluetooth gps receiver for the touch for the time being and have been using it with google maps.

Google maps doesn't have text to speech. Is there any good gps software that'll work on the touch with text to speech? Tomtomgo? copilot? Anything free that has text to speech? Does anyone currently use a bt gps receive on their touch and if so what software?

BTW -
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 16 2008, 6:07 PM EST
Additionally, HTC is currently developing a separate ROM update which enables the EV-DO Rev. A and GPS capabilities that are already built into the Mogul hardware. Sprint and HTC plan to make this software ROM available in early 1Q 2008. Please bookmark this page for easy reference.

Posted November 29, 2007

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
This update has been leaked
Feb 18 2008, 4:32 PM EST
"Additionally, HTC is currently developing a separate ROM update which enables the EV-DO Rev. A and GPS capabilities that are already built into the Mogul hardware. Sprint and HTC plan to make this software ROM available in early 1Q 2008. Please bookmark this page for easy reference.

Posted November 29, 2007

"
I don't think its officially available yet, but the Mogul update is out there.
Generally it seems like when it comes to hardware and software release dates, early Q# means before the last week of the quarter, and if they just say Q# they really mean the first month of the following quarter...
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
RE: This update has been leaked
Feb 19 2008, 10:09 PM EST
just incase anyone is confused... the CDMA version of the Touch (aka the Vogue [this is the version you have if you are on sprint]) DOES have a GPS chip inside. NOT just for 911. An update was promised, and is on its way, to enable this GPS as well as enabling EDVO Rev A (faster internet). Sprint Techs will have new customers believe it's coming withing '2 weeks', but the rest of us have been hearing that for months. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Feb 21 2008, 10:58 AM EST
A friend of mine who works at the Sprint headquarters and would know well in advance of any Sprint Tech or CSR has told me that there is an OS update for the Touch coming early June. Nothing was mentioned about GPS (or Rev A) in the update details (simply that it was an OS update), but this was the only update shown in the foreseeable future so I would assume this would be THE update. Not trying to stir the pot. I'm just as anxious for the update as everyone else. Just thought I would share what I know. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 25 2008, 3:20 PM EST
I just got off the phone with a sprint advanced tech support person, per him there are no updates coming out anytime soon for sprint touch. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 5 2008, 11:40 AM EST
Ok, so is there or is there not a GPS receiver in the phone and are there or are there not updates for this phone. I have a feeling that Sprint, Windows, HTC does not want to spend the money worrying about this phone because they have already spent the budget on making a new phone comparable to the almighty iPhone. Did they even ever fix that stupid Windows Live Search update yet? So if there are going to be updates they will probably be next year when this phone sucks, so do yourself a favor put your touch on ebay, get what ever you can out of it(hopefully $200.00 to end your service with sprint) and buy yourself an iPhone when they come out with the new one in the near future with GPS and everything else probably before they come out with the update for this one. 0  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 6 2008, 2:23 PM EST
I talked to Tech Person from Sprint last night, who is working with a group solely on fixing problems on the Sprint Touch, including the SprintTV issue and a few others. She said the update for the Touch has been pushed back. But it will include REV. A and GPS. She said the earliest it would be is June, but could be pushed back until August. But it is coming. By the way, the GPS chip is built into Qualcomm MSM7500 which is the Sprint Touch processor. The chip is a gpsOne GPS module. 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 6 2008, 3:53 PM EST
"By the way, the GPS chip is built into Qualcomm MSM7500 which is the Sprint Touch processor. The chip is a gpsOne GPS module."
You are correct. Search for the specs on that chip and you are correct! Here is what gpsOne GPS does:

gpsOne is primarily used today for Enhanced-911 E911 service, allowing your cell phone to relay your location to emergency dispatchers, one of the traditional shortcomings of cellular phone technology. Using a combination of GPS satellite signals and the cell towers themselves, gpsOne allows your location to be plotted with greater accuracy than traditional GPS systems in areas where satellite reception is problematic due to buildings or terrain.
Geotagging - addition of location information to the pictures you take with your camera phone.
Location based information delivery, ie local weather and traffic alerts.
Verizon Wireless uses gpsOne to support its VZ Navigator automotive navigation system.

Since introduction in 2000, the gpsOne chipset has been adopted by 40+ vendors, and is used in more than 250 cellphone models worldwide.

Some vendors are also looking at this technology as a method of implementing location based solutions, such as:

Employers can track employees, or fleet vehicles, allowing quick response from the nearest representative.
Restaurants, clubs, theatres and other venues could relay SMS special offers to patrons within a certain range.
When using your phone as a 'wallet' and making e-payments, your location can be verified as an additional layer of security against cloning.
ie John Doe in AverageTown USA is most likely not purchasing a candy bar from a machine at LAX if he was logged paying for the subway token in NYC and calling his wife from the Empire State Building.
Locating opponents for multiplayer phone games who are nearby.

More than 150 million gpsOne enabled handsets are currently on the market, making it one of the most widely deployed solutions.

4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 7 2008, 10:49 AM EST
the mogul is getting the update on the 10th of march. THe touch is expected sometime in june. I am a corp rep with sprint that uses the touch by the way 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 7 2008, 12:31 PM EST
"the mogul is getting the update on the 10th of march. THe touch is expected sometime in june. I am a corp rep with sprint that uses the touch by the way"
if thats the case why on the Sprint web site does it say, and this is direct fro the site: GPS Enabled - View your approximate location and use available applications to navigate roadways throughout the country. <B>(will not be available until Q1 2008 upgrade</B>, lies??? Q1 ends this month..... 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 8 2008, 8:01 AM EST
"I need some help. I just bought a bluetooth gps receiver for the touch for the time being and have been using it with google maps.

Google maps doesn't have text to speech. Is there any good gps software that'll work on the touch with text to speech? Tomtomgo? copilot? Anything free that has text to speech? Does anyone currently use a bt gps receive on their touch and if so what software?

BTW - "
Telenav is very nice. Traffic re-routing, etc included. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Previous | 13 4 5 6 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)