• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: QuickGPS stop working on my Tytn II (Tilt)

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2  | Next
thirstylizard

thirstylizard
QuickGPS stop working on my Tytn II (Tilt)
Dec 29 2007, 12:29 AM EST
I have been downloading updates regularly but suddenly the error message "connection failed". Sometimes even it seems to be downloading files but it still cannot update the database. I have searched other forum and many people seems to have the same problem but no workable solution yet. Hope someone can come up with the cause and fix. 68  out of 76 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: QuickGPS stop working on my Tytn II (Tilt)
Dec 31 2007, 2:29 PM EST
"I have been downloading updates regularly but suddenly the error message "connection failed". Sometimes even it seems to be downloading files but it still cannot update the database. I have searched other forum and many people seems to have the same problem but no workable solution yet. Hope someone can come up with the cause and fix."
When I get the Connection Failed error, usually all I have to do is a soft reset and that corrects the error.
When you get the error message, what is the device doing (is it already in an active data session)?
If you manually end the data connection and then re-initiate it, do you still get the error? Have you changed any of your connection settings?
3  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
thirstylizard

thirstylizard
Dec 31 2007, 5:36 PM EST
"When I get the Connection Failed error, usually all I have to do is a soft reset and that corrects the error.
When you get the error message, what is the device doing (is it already in an active data session)?
If you manually end the data connection and then re-initiate it, do you still get the error? Have you changed any of your connection settings?"
I have tried all combinations. Sometimes, I could see data flow being downloaded without first initiating data connection. sometimes it would not show data flow. In all cases, it ended up with "connection failed, please try again". Please note that I am using Chinese WM6 OS but I believe others using standard English OS has the same issue. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
timjervis

timjervis
Dec 31 2007, 8:24 PM EST
I had the same problem. I had restored state from a backup taken on another unit, because of a hardware failure on the previous unit. The replacement unit's QuickGPS would download, then claim it couldn't connect. Later, it just said it couldn't connect. I tried (several) soft resets. Then I tried a hard reset, which did the trick. Then I tried restoring the state from backup again, and QuickGPS failed again. So I did another hard reset. Now QuickGPS works again. However, I'm having to rebuild my software base and data from scratch, without the use of the (Sprite) backup. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 8 2008, 3:34 AM EST
I was facing same issue, and got it resolved as follwoing:
Goto Start> Settings >System(tab), now open "External GPS"
here goto "Access" tab and check the checkBox "Manage GPS automatically"

issue should be resolved.

5  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 8 2008, 8:45 AM EST
The other thing to do is to install the Kaiser Tweaks application I posted on the AT&T Tilt Wiki page on this site. It seems to help with this issue as well. Specifically, it has a setting to ensure that it works. 5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 12 2008, 7:51 AM EST
Awful bug.

I deleted the file xtra.bin in the \Windows folder (the file that is downloaded by quickgps that seems to get corrupt).

It fixed the problem for me. (I installed and changed the quickgps setup in Kaiser Tweaks (http://www.jongma.org/KaiserTweak/) as well, but not sure if it is part of the solution)
5  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 14 2008, 5:41 PM EST
do you need quick gps for your gps system to work or is it just something which helps just speed the inital start up. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
Jan 14 2008, 6:25 PM EST
"do you need quick gps for your gps system to work or is it just something which helps just speed the inital start up."
Quick GPS just helps the GPS receiver track faster. It's not needed to work. 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 15 2008, 8:22 AM EST
"Awful bug.

I deleted the file xtra.bin in the \Windows folder (the file that is downloaded by quickgps that seems to get corrupt).

It fixed the problem for me. (I installed and changed the quickgps setup in Kaiser Tweaks (http://www.jongma.org/KaiserTweak/) as well, but not sure if it is part of the solution)"
tried that but no luck still 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jan 15 2008, 1:57 PM EST
"Quick GPS just helps the GPS receiver track faster. It's not needed to work. "
Great for the help
0  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Feb 22 2008, 9:58 AM EST
"tried that but no luck still"
I had this problem and this worked for me! However, you must remember to close the QuickGPS application before running the fix otherwise it doesn't load the fixed settings.
Hope that helps....
0  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 28 2008, 5:21 PM EDT
I had this same annoying problem and I spent a long time to work that out. Now I found solution that worked in my case:

QuickGPS downloads in Tytn II basically just a xtra.bin file in the mobile device /temp folder. To work correctly xtra.bin should be in /windows folder. So basically I just copied manually the new xtra.bin file from /temp folder to /windows folder and replaced the old xtra.bin file there.

This thread gave me the idea
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=333275

Still quick GPS fails in download every here and then but I can fix problem just by copying one file from folder to another. That is not too major task to do to make things work.

br, timo
6  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Apr 1 2008, 5:57 AM EDT
Hello,
I made a HARD RESET and start to work again.
Good luck
0  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
May 12 2008, 6:40 PM EDT
I have that "connection failed" message for the entire last week. I haven't done a thing and the QuickGPS is able to download the update today.

I am wondering, why on earth do we need to update the satellite data every 7 days. They are supposed to be geostationary, what changes are we seeing in the download?

Now if I am going on 3 weeks vacation with no internet access, am I not be able to use the GPS for the latter half of my trip?

Dan
Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
May 26 2008, 10:06 AM EDT
GPS satellites are NOT geo-stationary. All of them are in their own low orbit, ensuring that any place on earth has a view to a sufficient amount of them at any time. And the GPS operators can actually change orbits to increase the amount of visible satellites in specific regions. 2  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 18 2008, 1:47 AM EDT
Quick GPS is an invaluable aid to speed up the location of your vehicle on start up. Without the pre-loaded satelite data it can take 5 to 10 ks to even start working. With it.. its virtually instant. Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Jun 18 2008, 1:48 AM EDT
"Quick GPS just helps the GPS receiver track faster. It's not needed to work. "
its not needed but its absolutely invaluable.. Without it the unit downloads the FULL satelite tables every time its used. it takes for ever
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Jun 30 2008, 5:39 PM EDT
i tried with soft reset but no result. I then installed tweaks, set the quick gps to oem default settings, soft reset and .... it started working again!!!! 3  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Aug 1 2008, 2:32 PM EDT
can't download quickgps file.
if i do it manually [using opera to get that file] it works.
but quickgps doesn't work.
my rom is the 1.93...
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
2  | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Site pages
Top Contributors