• A Wetpaint Site
  • Sign in to Wetpaint

Discussion: Turning screen off help.Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 22  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next

Posted Anonymously
Turning screen off help.
Dec 23 2007, 5:35 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2007, 5:35 PM EST
I LOVE my HTC Touch,,,one of my biggest problems with it at the moment is that I can't turn the screen off properly. Examples: I turn my WMP on and I am listening to music, but I don't want to leave the screen on as it wastes batteries. The screen doesn't fade on its own and if i tap the power button, it just stops the music.
Same thing with when I'm using bluetooth speaker with my Touch. The screen just stays on,
And finally, in my settings I have it that it "Turn off back light if device not used for 10 secs" I have that checked, but it never seems to turn off on its own. Please help. Much obliged.
16  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: Turning screen off help.
Dec 25 2007, 12:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2007, 12:44 PM EST
I am having the same problem. So, why does Pocket Player keep running when I hit the alleged "power" button, but WMP10 stops? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
2. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 5 2008, 10:35 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2008, 10:35 AM EST
i have the same problem..also does anyone else have a poblem with screnn turning back on after its been on saving mode mine does it all the time and i have to remove the batery to restart it.. Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
3. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 5 2008, 10:58 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2008, 10:58 AM EST
In Windows Media Player, if you goto menu\buttons, you can assign a hardware button to turn the screen off while listening the music. Now the only problem is that the Touch doesn't have a lot of buttons, so your option is truly limited. I personally do not use the Windows Media Player. I have installed HTC's Audio Manager, which integrates nicely with the Home Plugin from the Touch. Of course I have these installed on my Tilt, along with the Touch Cube.

There are some downsides to the HTC Audio Manager:
1. No Album Art. (Though not a big deal to me)
2. More importantly, for some reason, the music is not listed in the order of the album, but alphabetically. The version I have was suppose to have fixed that, but it hasn't for me.

Let me know if you want the HTC Audio Manager. Otherwise, I used to use Pocket Player 3.51, as someone mentioned earlier, can keep playing music after hitting the power button.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 6 2008, 9:32 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 6 2008, 9:32 AM EST
Would like to try that Audio Manager on my Touch can you please contact me ta tazsfmly at yahoo.com 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
5. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 6 2008, 10:33 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 6 2008, 10:33 AM EST
"Would like to try that Audio Manager on my Touch can you please contact me ta tazsfmly at yahoo.com"
Here is a link to the Audio Manager. Just copy this to your device and open it from there. It will self install. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
kiv
kiv
6. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 19 2008, 2:28 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 19 2008, 2:28 AM EST
"Here is a link to the Audio Manager. Just copy this to your device and open it from there. It will self install."
Hi Rainman76,

Are you on HTC Touch? What version of HTC Audio Manager are you using (Menu > ABout)? I tried "1.02 build 614.712". It plays nicely, but it stops playing after turning off the screen.

Oh, does it integrate to your HTC Touch's today screen? if you are using htc touch.

Thanks,
Kiv
Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
7. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 23 2008, 11:32 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 23 2008, 11:32 PM EST
I had the EXACT same problem, but I installed SPB Pocket Plus, and it unlocks options (today screen buttons) for just turning off the screen, putting HTC touch is standby mode (which stops music playback), and soft resets.
If you touch the pretty blue 'screen toggle' button, you can listen to music while not super-draining the battery. Enjoy!
-Eric
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: Turning screen off help.
Jan 24 2008, 7:11 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 24 2008, 7:11 PM EST
where is that link 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
9. RE: Memory Leak Power button cannot function properly, phione freezes
Jan 25 2008, 1:46 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 25 2008, 1:46 PM EST
I have a little problem. When the phone is on standby, it will not go on to the main menu, once you press the power button, must remove the battery!!
HTC cannot help me, they blame Microsoft!!

Posted Anonymously
10. RE: Memory Leak Power button cannot function properly, phione freezes
Mar 6 2008, 3:42 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 6 2008, 3:42 PM EST
thats not a problem at all . just go to windows media player. then click on menu. now click on options. now press the buttons in the tab below. then go down the last option is toggle screen. just assign a key for that. this will off the phone's display and will play the music.

toggle screen : assigning button means like "hold down" like that.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
11. RE: Turning screen off help.
Mar 6 2008, 4:34 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 6 2008, 4:34 PM EST
I am using it on my AT&T Tilt with the HTC Touch Today Screen Plugin and the Touch Cube. I am using Version 1.02, Build 919.713. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
12. RE: Turning screen off help.
Mar 12 2008, 9:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 12 2008, 9:49 PM EDT
rainman, I'd love a link to HTC audio mgr. Is your link any different than what I can find on freeware sites? Does it have an installer cab or manual install?

Thanks

mkulas
13. RE: Turning screen off help.
Apr 3 2008, 8:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2008, 8:46 PM EDT
"In Windows Media Player, if you goto menu\buttons, you can assign a hardware button to turn the screen off while listening the music. Now the only problem is that the Touch doesn't have a lot of buttons, so your option is truly limited. I personally do not use the Windows Media Player. I have installed HTC's Audio Manager, which integrates nicely with the Home Plugin from the Touch. Of course I have these installed on my Tilt, along with the Touch Cube.

There are some downsides to the HTC Audio Manager:
1. No Album Art. (Though not a big deal to me)
2. More importantly, for some reason, the music is not listed in the order of the album, but alphabetically. The version I have was suppose to have fixed that, but it hasn't for me.

Let me know if you want the HTC Audio Manager. Otherwise, I used to use Pocket Player 3.51, as someone mentioned earlier, can keep playing music after hitting the power button. "
For #2 -

I think that's true for WMA's, but it uses the track tag if you ripped to MP3's. (When you browse via Album)

Posted Anonymously
14. RE: Memory Leak Power button cannot function properly, phione freezes
Apr 3 2008, 9:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2008, 9:28 PM EDT
"thats not a problem at all . just go to windows media player. then click on menu. now click on options. now press the buttons in the tab below. then go down the last option is toggle screen. just assign a key for that. this will off the phone's display and will play the music.

toggle screen : assigning button means like "hold down" like that.
"
Bingo! thank you! Do you find this valuable?    

mkulas
15. RE: Turning screen off help.
Apr 3 2008, 10:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2008, 10:04 PM EDT
"
Let me know if you want the HTC Audio Manager. Otherwise, I used to use Pocket Player 3.51, as someone mentioned earlier, can keep playing music after hitting the power button. "
By the way, I tried Freeware PocketMusic 5.0.6 and Trial Full Version (with Power settings toggled) and ran into the same problem (turning of screen with hardware power button on top left turns off music). Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
16. RE: Turning screen off help.
Apr 3 2008, 10:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2008, 10:20 PM EDT
"By the way, I tried Freeware PocketMusic 5.0.6 and Trial Full Version (with Power settings toggled) and ran into the same problem (turning of screen with hardware power button on top left turns off music)."
try the toggle setting, it works perfectly for me. Do you find this valuable?    

mkulas
17. RE: Turning screen off help.
Apr 3 2008, 11:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2008, 11:13 PM EDT
"try the toggle setting, it works perfectly for me."
So, I only have the free version installed now since the Power Tab settings in the full trial version didn't work from me.

(This is PocketMusic, not PocketPlayer).

I didn't buy full version for this reason.

It will work sometimes - but then if you try to turn the screen on / off a few times in succession, it will stop working when the screen if off.

There is no toggle in the free version. Only a sleep toggle in Menu / Player Options / General. This doesn't keep the player working for me either. Just tried it...

AudioManager and s2player work - so I use those.

Posted Anonymously
18. RE: Turning screen off help.
Aug 30 2008, 3:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 30 2008, 3:40 PM EDT
"I LOVE my HTC Touch,,,one of my biggest problems with it at the moment is that I can't turn the screen off properly. Examples: I turn my WMP on and I am listening to music, but I don't want to leave the screen on as it wastes batteries. The screen doesn't fade on its own and if i tap the power button, it just stops the music.
Same thing with when I'm using bluetooth speaker with my Touch. The screen just stays on,
And finally, in my settings I have it that it "Turn off back light if device not used for 10 secs" I have that checked, but it never seems to turn off on its own. Please help. Much obliged. "
OK PEOPLE LOOK HERE IS THE FASTEST WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM

1: TURN PHONE ON AND LOOK AT SCREEN (ya fuckin cave man)
2:OPEN UP WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER
3:HIT MENU ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT
4:GO DOWN TO OPTIONS
5:ON THE BOTTOM YOU CAN SCROLL TO YOUR RIGHT (where you can see "library and skins" use your pencil lol)
6:HIT THE "BUTTONS" OPTION
7: SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST ONE THAT SAYS "TOGGLE SCREEN"

THATS ALL. And yes i know you dont have lots of buttons to choose from but i use the "left button" to toggle my screen...so i can then switch songs with the right button. Ya get me. this option really works well! arright

PEACE
Paul B.
5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
19. RE: Turning screen off help.
Dec 21 2008, 1:28 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 21 2008, 1:28 PM EST
"OK PEOPLE LOOK HERE IS THE FASTEST WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM

1: TURN PHONE ON AND LOOK AT SCREEN (ya fuckin cave man)
2:OPEN UP WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER
3:HIT MENU ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT
4:GO DOWN TO OPTIONS
5:ON THE BOTTOM YOU CAN SCROLL TO YOUR RIGHT (where you can see "library and skins" use your pencil lol)
6:HIT THE "BUTTONS" OPTION
7: SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST ONE THAT SAYS "TOGGLE SCREEN"

THATS ALL. And yes i know you dont have lots of buttons to choose from but i use the "left button" to toggle my screen...so i can then switch songs with the right button. Ya get me. this option really works well! arright

PEACE
Paul B."
I am streaming podcast using opera and and windows media player. the toggle button does not work when wmp is used as a plugin. Any fix available?

thanks
steve
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)