• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: 8525 Back up phone contactsThis is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts

vinnie1
8525 Back up phone contacts
Dec 23 2007, 3:57 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2007, 3:57 PM EST
hey does anyone know how i can back up my phone numbers (contacts in my phone) to my computer. every time i sync it adds all my email addresses from my computer to my phone contacts, which i do not want. i would just like to have a copy of all the phone numbers in my phone on my computer in case something happens to the phone. can any one tell me how i can do this.

5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
1. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Dec 24 2007, 4:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 24 2007, 4:44 PM EST
"hey does anyone know how i can back up my phone numbers (contacts in my phone) to my computer. every time i sync it adds all my email addresses from my computer to my phone contacts, which i do not want. i would just like to have a copy of all the phone numbers in my phone on my computer in case something happens to the phone. can any one tell me how i can do this.

"
You need to have at least Outlook 2002 to sync the phone numbers. But inherently, it is going to sync everything about each given contact (email addresses, home addresses, work addresses, etc.). 4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
2. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Jan 13 2008, 11:36 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 13 2008, 11:36 AM EST
"You need to have at least Outlook 2002 to sync the phone numbers. But inherently, it is going to sync everything about each given contact (email addresses, home addresses, work addresses, etc.)."
I have been unable to get it to sync with VISTA. I tried a 3rd party vendor, but that did not capture contacts. Anyone have a solution? 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
3. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Jan 13 2008, 2:57 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 13 2008, 2:57 PM EST
"I have been unable to get it to sync with VISTA. I tried a 3rd party vendor, but that did not capture contacts. Anyone have a solution?"
You have to install Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1. You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx

Again, the best way to sync contacts is with Outlook, since that it is what it inherently syncs with.
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Autoan
Autoan
4. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Feb 9 2008, 1:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2008, 1:27 AM EST
If your using the new 6.1 drivers for Vista lok at the Configuration and it will show a link on the right bottom that says >>more<< Hit it and set you system to tell the phone to send to the computer and phone. Also if you us Outlook 2007 you can move all of your Outlook contacts to a new folder and set it up in outlook the the main contact folder will be for the cell phone. I have done it and it has saved my B**t several times when I have to pull the battery.

I have a 1 gig mem card and can't get the contacts to stay in the memory area...

Hope it helps.
Whoooraa

Automan
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Autoan
Autoan
5. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Feb 9 2008, 1:30 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 9 2008, 1:30 AM EST
Get the 6.1 Sync Drivers for Vista and hook up USB and presto, if it dowsn sync or see the unit, then, unplug the usb from the phone and plug it in again.

And of coarse ya have to hit start sync the get to that screen on the phone.

Hope helps....
Automan

Posted Anonymously
6. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Jun 25 2008, 9:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 9:32 AM EDT
you can save your contacts to a storage card if you can find the PIM file and copy it over to your storage card. FYI 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
7. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Dec 4 2008, 9:56 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 4 2008, 9:56 PM EST
"hey does anyone know how i can back up my phone numbers (contacts in my phone) to my computer. every time i sync it adds all my email addresses from my computer to my phone contacts, which i do not want. i would just like to have a copy of all the phone numbers in my phone on my computer in case something happens to the phone. can any one tell me how i can do this."

It sounds as though you, like me, use your phone primarily and independently, and just want your computer to store the info as a back-up. Unfortunately, Synch was not designed for us to do this. It really wants the computer to be the primary data input source. I have found some success by: 1) remove all duplications and extraneous info from your phone; 2) archive & clear your computer's Outlook content; 3) Now synch your phone, making sure you choose "replace". Good luck.

"you can save your contacts to a storage card if you can find the PIM file and copy it over to your storage card. FYI"

Where might one find the PIM file?

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Dec 5 2008, 3:31 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 5 2008, 3:31 PM EST
I have tried the PIM method and was unsuccessful, that is, if it is as simple as a copy and paste 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

suresu
9. RE: 8525 Back up phone contacts
Jul 20 2009, 3:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 20 2009, 3:17 AM EDT
I download a tool called iMobileTool Contacts Backup. It helps me to backup contacts from windows mobile phone to
computer directly. I can edit the contacts on computer then restore to mobile phone. It works well for me.
Free download at: http://www.imobiletool.com/contacts-backup-for-windows-mobile.html
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)