• A Wetpaint Site
Welcome! This is a website that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: Two Issues - ActiveSync related

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

bobnc

bobnc
Two Issues - ActiveSync related
Dec 13 2007, 10:20 AM EST
Hi. Just got my new AT&T Tilt and so far I like it very much. I set up the ActiveSync and all seems OK, but I have two issues. I have an iPaq also, so I am fairly familiar with ActiveSync.

First, the Schedule button and options have disappeared. It seems to want to re-sync every few minutes, which I find very annoying. I want to set to what used to be Manual sync.

Second, when syncing Email on my old system, it allowed me to select which email folders to sync. In the new version, the Select Folders button is grayed out. Anybody know why?

Thanks, Bob
Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: Two Issues - ActiveSync related
Dec 13 2007, 11:03 AM EST
"Hi. Just got my new AT&T Tilt and so far I like it very much. I set up the ActiveSync and all seems OK, but I have two issues. I have an iPaq also, so I am fairly familiar with ActiveSync.

First, the Schedule button and options have disappeared. It seems to want to re-sync every few minutes, which I find very annoying. I want to set to what used to be Manual sync.

Second, when syncing Email on my old system, it allowed me to select which email folders to sync. In the new version, the Select Folders button is grayed out. Anybody know why?

Thanks, Bob"
Not sure which iPAQ you have, but if you have a really old one, then ActiveSync has changed a lot since the first iPAQ's. The schedule feature seems to be something t hat was removed from WM5 and WM6 devices. To select the folders in email to sync,, you need to do that on the Tilt:

1. Goto the email box on the Tilt and open it up.
2. Goto Tools
3. Goto Manage Folders

Here you can choose which folders you want to sync.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
bobnc

bobnc
Dec 13 2007, 11:37 AM EST
Thanks rainman - yes, my iPaq is 2002 or earlier - that is why I wanted to replace it, although it is still actually running great.

I might not have explained enough on the email. I use Outlook (2002 version) and under Inbox I have a couple of sub-folders. I want to sync Inbox and one and only one of the sub-folders - to do all folders would be a huge amount of info.

I see where you can select folders on the Tilt, but that is just the prime folders, not the sub-folders under Inbox - in fact, it doesn't even know about them yet as there hasn't been an email sync. Should I first do a full sync and THEN select the folders?

Thanks, Bob
Rainman76
Rainman76
Dec 13 2007, 12:27 PM EST
"Thanks rainman - yes, my iPaq is 2002 or earlier - that is why I wanted to replace it, although it is still actually running great.

I might not have explained enough on the email. I use Outlook (2002 version) and under Inbox I have a couple of sub-folders. I want to sync Inbox and one and only one of the sub-folders - to do all folders would be a huge amount of info.

I see where you can select folders on the Tilt, but that is just the prime folders, not the sub-folders under Inbox - in fact, it doesn't even know about them yet as there hasn't been an email sync. Should I first do a full sync and THEN select the folders?

Thanks, Bob"
Yes, do the full sync first. After the sync, you will see the names of all the folders you have created and then you will be able to choose which folders you want to sync. As for the iPAQ, I still have my iPAQ 3765 which also still works fine for me!! I also have a Palm V, Palm M100, Sony Clie, iPAQ 2215, Dell Axim X30, Audiovox XV6600, AT&T 8525 and now my Tilt. I have an addiction :) 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
bobnc

bobnc
Dec 13 2007, 12:41 PM EST
Thanks - that worked great.

As far as the sync schedule goes, it's strange that the button and options are there, just grayed out. I would think that if they removed the feature that there would be none at all. I am going to check that one further.

Thanks, Bob
Rainman76
Rainman76
Dec 13 2007, 10:29 PM EST
"Thanks - that worked great.

As far as the sync schedule goes, it's strange that the button and options are there, just grayed out. I would think that if they removed the feature that there would be none at all. I am going to check that one further.

Thanks, Bob"
Glad it worked for you. As for the sync schedule, don't forget that ActiveSync 4.5 still needs to support older Windows Mobile OS's like PocketPC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 2003SE. Do you find this valuable?    
Andante51

Andante51
Feb 7 2008, 8:14 PM EST
I'm glad to hear at least somebody else is being driven crazy by their WM6 device CONSTANTLY syncing every couple of minutes. I was horrified when experienced WM5 and 6 people told me there was no way to put in on manual! And to truly rub it in, I can unhook my HTC Sprint Touch, smack my Axim X30 with WM2003 SE in its cradle, and of course I have the ability to schedule the sync to manual! Unhook the Axim, plug in the Touch, BOOM no manual sync. Same AS, same PC - completely different options available.

Expert Touch users have said: you want it to sync constantly... that's what it's supposed to do! To boot, I swear the default is for the sound to play when it connects and disconnects from AS - I never set that up. If the average PDA user who had WM2003 or SE previously first plugged in their Touch, and it made than unending racket, they would flip out! I almost did. When I learned that feature had been 'removfed' - I was dumbfounded. It went off every 1 or 2 minutes! If it even synced every 10 or 15 min., that would be awful, but the every minute or two is ridiculous. I work in a home office, get relatively little email, and my contacts certainly aren't changing every minute. I have an older PC and I'm trying to do video editing, and don't want to waste resources. Then AS is one of the few things you can't find a 3rd party replacement for. I would also like to bring up the small matter of even if it is hooked up to USB and getting power, being constantly busy can't really be great for the Touch either. but regular PC users, no. Are we too stupid to handle the power of such a momentous choice? Sorry to rant, but I am very upset about this issue. It is just one more time Microsoft made a decision that I could write magazine articles about for how monumentally stupid, short-sighted and aggravating a decision it was. Thanks for letting me vent.
Andante51

Andante51
Feb 7 2008, 8:20 PM EST
Sorry, with the 2000 character limit, I did some editing and some parts of the previous message of mine are missing. I tried to say... why do WM6 users utilizing Exchange still have the ability to do a manual sync, but regular PC users had that taken away. Can't we be trusted with such a powerful feature? Did the person making this decision think in a 'business' setting people needed that manual ability, but home users are just home messing around anyways, so who cares? I will not be able to use this Touch as I did my Axim, hooked up in a cradle on my desk where it will live most of the time. That is gonna pose real problems for me. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
Mar 26 2008, 11:13 AM EDT
Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds continuous syncing unnecessary and annoying! At least I can stop wasting my time looking for a way to make it stop. Cheers, John Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors