• A Wetpaint Site
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: XV6700 Internet email notification

Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

andrewmm

andrewmm
XV6700 Internet email notification
Nov 22 2007, 3:03 PM EST
Hi - I have basically no experience with tech stuff so am flying blind. Problem I am having is that I am getting my emails from a gmail account - they are sending and receiving fine - but I can't seem to get the phone to give me either an audible or vibrate announcement that an email has arrive. I am using gmail via internet as I want to get emails much quicker than the normal timeframe verizon syncs - begins 15 minutes and incrementally reduces. Does anyone know how to get my pda to notify me when there is an email. Thanks Do you find this valuable?    
Rainman76
Rainman76
RE: XV6700 Internet email notification
Nov 23 2007, 9:22 PM EST
You have to setup the Gmail account in the messaging application on your 6700 if you want to get notifications of new emails. If you try to access it through your web browser, then you are not going to get the notifications.

What it really sounds like you want is what is called "Push" email, just like Blackberry, Microsoft Exchange or Hotmail accounts have. Basically, once an email hits your email server, the messge is automatically "pushed" to your device. There is no need for your 6700 to sync with the system on a set schedule. If you have Microsoft Live Hotmail, then you can get this type of Push service for free.

Unfortunately, right now, Gmail is not a "Push" account. It's what is called a "Pull" account. So in a "Pull" environment, your 6700 has to sync or "pull" from your Gmail server to get emails. The inherent problem is that the device has to retrieve the emails on set schedule that you designate (15, 30, 60 minutes etc.) The bigger problems with "Pull" is that it has to synchronize your whole mail folder every single time it retrieves email. The other problem is that because it has to do this based on the time schedule you set, it also takes up more battery power. This is why Push email is preferred because it will send emails to you immediately.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but let me know if it helps a little. So as I said earlier, the only way to get your Gmail notifications is to set it up in your messaging application on the 6700. Let me know if you need help with this process as well.
Do you find this valuable?    
andrewmm

andrewmm
Nov 24 2007, 3:16 PM EST
Hi Rainman

Thanks for you assistance I appreciate it. So if I understand you correctly, if I sign up for Microsoft Live Email then I can get emails immediately on my XV6700? If this is easy to do, I'd like to do this ... I would appreciate your help. thank you.
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 25 2007, 12:06 PM EST
"Hi Rainman

Thanks for you assistance I appreciate it. So if I understand you correctly, if I sign up for Microsoft Live Email then I can get emails immediately on my XV6700? If this is easy to do, I'd like to do this ... I would appreciate your help. thank you."
Ok, the best way to get Push email is to first install Windows Live Services Mobile. You can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53535&stc=1&d=1191879542

This is a .cab file, so you need to save it onto your 6700 or onto the memory card that you use on the device. Once saved, open the file from the 6700. It will self install onto your device. This is a newer version of the Pocket MSN you have currently. It adds a better messenger program and the Push email service I described earlier.

Next, create a Windows Live email account by going to www.live.com. Once you have done that, goto your 6700 and goto Start\Programs\Windows Live. It will go through a setup. Just follow the instructions and enter your new Windows Live address. At one point during the setup, you will get a screen that asks you if you want to store your Windows Live Contacts in your contacts list. If you check that off, make sure you also check off the merge duplicates contacts, otherwise you may have two of the same email addresses. I personnally just unchecked both boxes.

After you complete the setup, Windows Live will sync your email address and it will show up in your messaging application. Another thing to do is go back into Windows Live from the Start\Programs. When it pops up, goto menu\options. Tap on Sync Options. From here in the first drop down called Sync Frequency, you will notice it says manually. Change that to say As Items Arrive. This enables the Push. From here it should be all set. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Anonymous
Nov 25 2007, 7:19 PM EST
Hi Rainman76

I have followed instructions with downloading Windows Live - and have set up a windows live account. This is working extremely well and I am rapidly receiving emails - immediately - this is great. What I still cannot seem to do - is to have these email alert me by either some audible sound or have my pda vibrate - thus unless I am looking at the screen I cannot tell that a new email has come in. Is there some way to get my xv6700 to audibly / vibrate - to inform me that I have a new email? thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it.

PS. for this to work - I will need to load the windows live each morning etc. - right?

Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 25 2007, 8:43 PM EST
To receive a notification of your emails, goto start\settings\sounds & notifications. Once in there, goto the notifications tab. In the dropdown box, scroll down until you get the new email notification pick. Select that and then you should be able to setup the type of notification you want.

As for getting the emails to push, all you need to do is just make sure you have a data connection. You don't need to activate Windows Live each day.

Anonymous
Nov 25 2007, 9:35 PM EST
Hi Rainman76

Thanks so much - I have it working - but with one strange little quirk. If I have my windows live inbox open - then the email comes but there is no announcement audible or vibrate. But if I have my today screen open - but not the inbox - then I get the audible vibrate announcement. Is there any way you know to make the annoucement happen even if the inbox is open?

Thank you
Rainman76
Rainman76
Nov 25 2007, 10:03 PM EST
"Hi Rainman76

Thanks so much - I have it working - but with one strange little quirk. If I have my windows live inbox open - then the email comes but there is no announcement audible or vibrate. But if I have my today screen open - but not the inbox - then I get the audible vibrate announcement. Is there any way you know to make the annoucement happen even if the inbox is open?

Thank you "
Hmmm, I have never really thought about that one, since I usually close my email application when I am done reading it. Let me think on that one a little. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)
Top Contributors